• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Dwarven Monster Slayers

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.

LATEST VERSION v1.04f [ Version Info & Changelog | News | Suggestions & Ideas | Bug Reports ]

The five greatest heroes of the ancient dwarven kingdom of Berethil are returning from a long journey. When they finally arrive in the halls of their forefathers, they find their people murdered and dead. At least one thing is for sure: someone's gonna pay!

THE DWARVEN MONSTER SLAYERS is a fast paced 1-5 player coop survival RPG slasher game.
The game features tactical teamplay, a massive load of monsters, a detailed and atmospheric dungeon scenario, a considerably amount of gore, and for the best: DWARVES!

In this map, you need to work as a team to defend the halls of your forefathers and yourselfs against various waves of monsters like undead cave trolls, savage werefuls and mighty demons form hell itself. The monsters are spawned from portals, appearing at random locations so you may need to strategically re-adjust your battle tactics to acquire a good defense position. During the game progress, new areas in the dungeon are unlocked for your team to explore. The game is divided into 3 chapters, each having an individual theme and each finished with challenging boss encounters. Moreover, there is a little storyline that is told in some cut scenes. The heroes are carefully designed, each with its own strengths and weaknesses, each different to play. The damage and item system is very similiar to Aeon of War, which enables a flawless level scaling as the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the heroes attributes. Alongside the battles, there are many little things and secrets to discover. There are also tons of different items and a save/load system enables you to save and improve your equipment for later game sessions. With higher levels, you will be able to face higher difficulties, rewarding you with better loot and new enemiews. The look and feel of this map is characterized by a careful choice of high quality custom art from the wc3 community.

You find all information related to this game and dedicated discussion boards here: HOSTED PROJECT PAGE

Discord channel - find nice people to play with here: Join the IOM & DMS Discord Server!

Note that this game is also being developed as a standalone indie game.

VIDEO TEASER

FEATURES OVERVIEW
  • Playable with 1 to 5 players
  • 5 carefully designed, unique dwarven heroes with amazing new spells and abilities
  • 5 difficulty modes (featuring unique loot and monsters on higher difficulties)
  • A total of 9 waves (divided upon 3 chapters with individual themes and monster sets)
  • Challenging boss encounters and many rare mini-bosses
  • More than 300 items
  • More than 20 new, characteristic monsters (incl. new art & abilities)
  • Call of Cthulhu wave (a tribute wave to H.P. Lovecraft)
  • Save/load system allowing you to save your hero for later games
  • A little story that is told in some cut scenes
  • A significant focus on teamwork
  • An atmoshperic and detailed dungeon scenario and overall careful art design
  • Gore system (i.e. monsters killed with crits usually explode in spectacular bloody animations)
  • The power of spells/abilities immediately scales with the heroe's attributes (which enables a smooth balancing and proper scaling)
  • Focus on replayability value (due to many randomizations, persistent character improvement, etc.)
  • Achievements and high score system
  • A smart difficulty system that also considers the number of playing heroes
  • A massive load of high quality custom content from the wc3 community
  • Fully written in vjass

THE HEROES

This map features 5 dwarven heroes: Thordal the Champion, Borgo the Battlepriest, Gotrek the Slayer, Alrik the Engineer and Falgrim the Hunter.

PortraitCharacter Profile
119593-albums5596-picture67389.jpg
Thordal is the leader of the group. He is a brave warrior who uses the ancient powers of his forefathers to smash his foes and to protect his friends. Since he is the toughest one of the five dwarves, it comes handy that his offensive abilities also draw monster aggro. His protective spells allow him to survive even if the priest is currently off duty. Though he might not be the fastest dwarf on earth, Thordal is just as solid as a rock.

Pros:
- High health & armor
- Great survival & tanking capabilties

Cons:
- Low flexibility
- Slow movement
119593-albums5596-picture67390.jpg
Borgo is a guy of inestimable value. Being a priest, he is equipped with potent healing spells and he is able to resurrect dead teammates. Moreover, being a Battlepriest, he is even able to deal some serious damage and to cast the most powerful AoE spell in the game. His amazing array of spells makes Borgo a perfect supporter in any situations. It never felt so good to be a healer.

Pros:
- Great healing capabilities
- Massive emergency AoE

Cons:
- Very vulnerable
119593-albums5596-picture67394.jpg
Gotrek is a battle fanatic. Most of the time he is up to hack & slay stuff which is fine because he's the best in what he does (forget about Wolverine). He cuts through enemy mobs like warm butter and is the best hero in the game when it comes to raw dps. Gotrek ist fast and he can easily jump in and out of combat, shining at AoE monster smashing. However, since he is a melee warrior and not as tough as Thordal, he is also comparatively vulnerable and needs to take some care when facing very big enemies on his own. Fortunately, his superior combat agility helps him to survive in battle and he can take care of his own wounds using rune-blessed bandages. So, if the going get's rough, it's certainly good to have a Slayer on berserk around.

Pros:
- High DPS
- Very fast

Cons:
- Comparetively vulnerable (melee)
- Poor CC capabilties
119593-albums5596-picture67392.jpg
Alrik is the mastermind and tinkerer of the group and he is a real allrounder. He is able to craft different technical gimmicks, including sentry guns, a walking bomb and the mighty darksteel golem. The golem makes up a decent tank and with all of his gadgets, Alrik can cause a considerable amount of damage. On the downside, his turrets are quite fragile and stationary so he is not too flexible when fast movement is required. Fortunately, besides his gimmicks, Alrik is able to overload his electrical weapon resulting in an AoE exposion which does not only zap nearby enemies but also reanimates dead teammates via electric shock therapy. A real nice to have, especially when the rest of the group is down. Fair enough, he uses his energy shield to stay alive so the healers do not have to care too much about him. Last but not least, he can cast a powerful stasis field to imprison the most dangerous enemies when things run out of control.

Pros:
- Good allrounder
- Good CC
- AoE resurrection

Cons:
- Low focus DPS
119593-albums5596-picture67393.jpg
Falgrim is a truely exceptional dwarf. Being raised by elves, he has a strong affiliation to nature which actually is kinda rare for his kind. Due to his special origins, however, he has brought the arts of marksmanship to perfection. Moreover, he is able to summon four mighty pets to his assistance: Smokey the bear (tank), Fang the wolf (damage), Deadeye the falcon (ranged support) and Terios the elk (healing supporter). While AoE damage is not his best discipline, Falgrim is fast, has an unrivaled attack range and deals exceptional focus damage allowing him to quickly take out dangerous foes from a distance. Moreover, he is able to set up traps and magic seals which slow down approaching enemies making him an excellent choice for hit & run tactics.

Pros:
- High focus DPS
- Good CC
- Flexibility due to 4 different pets

Cons:
- Low AoE DPS

SCREENSHOTS

119593-albums5596-picture93179.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93182.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93181.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93180.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93178.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93177.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93176.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93175.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93174.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93173.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93172.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93171.jpg

119593-albums5596-picture93170.jpg

ADDITIONAL MAP INFORMATION

THE MONSTER AND WAVE SYSTEM

The respective arrangement of monsters is generated randomly and monsters have different chances of spawning in particular waves. Usually, the higher the wave, the higher the chance that more dangerous monsters will spawn. This system has been inspired by the game Killing Floor that uses similiar mechanics to create different playing experiences from game to game. In addition, there are some rare minibosses which may or may not appear during a game. To provide a comfortable playing experience, dead heroes are automatically revived at the end of each wave so you won't run in situations of being unable to beat the game after one hero has died. When your team runs into a complete whipe, the game is automatically restarted at the beginning of the current wave while resetting XP and giving a score penalty.

SPOTLIGHT ON ITEMS

The game features a massive pool of items and a save/load system so that you can save your hero and equipment. There is an item class system allowing you to equip exactly one item of each class (like one weaopn, armor, one pair of gloves, etc.). A bag system extends your item capacity to 12 slots. Some weapons have different pros and cons, allowing to specialize your hero in a certain direction. The quality of loot depends on the game difficulty. So, with higher hero levels, you will be ready to face bigger challenges and better rewards. Finally, if everything else fails, it's good to know that you can always buy a pack of dynamite from your trusted nether merchant to blow your foes to pieces.

The full item list can be found on the following link. But be warned that it may spoil your game experience to look up all items upfront. Item Table

DIFFICULTY MODIFIERS

DifficultyEasyNormalHardInsaneDeathwish
Monster health:70%100%175%250%325%
Monster damage:70%100%175%250%325%
Monster movement speed:97.5%100%102.5%105%107.5%
Merchant time:5648403224
Score factor:0.51.01.752.53.25

Please note that the power of monsters is not only affected by the chosen difficulty, but also by the count of playing heroes.

HINTS
  • Enemy portal locations are pinged at the minimap. Use this information to your strategic advantage in order to find good defensive spots.
  • Your knapsack can pickup and hold all items, even those that your hero cannot. You can also sell items out of your bag.
  • If you don't want an ankh of resurrection to be triggered when your hero dies, just store it in your bag (this way you can keep it to use it to revive other heroes).
  • Monster arrangements are random, so if your team dies, it's possible that the next try is a bit more easy.

CREDITS
First, thanks to all helpful people at hiveworkshop.com for helping me in the creation of this game by providing feedback, suggestions and bug reports. Special thanks to Orcnet, -Kobas- and Ralle of Hive staff for supporting this project so that it got hosted.

Libraries/systems/scripts:
Nestharus (Save/Load system), Ammorth (MultiBars), Vexorian (vJass, Table, TimerUtils, IndieSummons, etc.), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils, IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem, Pool), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState)

Custom Art (models, skins, icons):
Dionesiist (3D art, Legion Leader & Centaur models), oGre_ (3D art, ruins, walls and decoration models), JesusHipster (various edits and requests), 67chrome (2D art, skeleton skins and others), Norinrad (3D art, champion model), General Frank (3D art, orb & potion models), Gottfrei (3D art), Kimberly (2D art, undead ogre skin), skrab (3D art, Battlepriest model), Urkdrengi (3D art, Slayer model), Ampharos_222 (3D art, Engineer model), Radagast (3D art, Hunter model), Juice_F (2D art, EvilDwarf skin), Pyramidhe@d (3D art, Deep One, Flying Carcass & Maggot models), Sellenisko (3D art, dead & undead dwarf models), shiiK (3D art, Overlord model), Tarrasque (3D art, Firestarter model), HappyTauren (3D art, Skeleton King model), Systemfre1 (claptrap model), Bolthan (elk model), Mc ! (Imp model, 3D art, FX art, lamp and potion models), Chriz. (Imp animation), Nasrudin (3D art, indoor doodads), Kuhneghetz (3D art, Werewulf models), SuPa- (3D art, Wortling), donut3.5 (3D art, Reaper model), Misha (3D art, nether dragon), Hayate (3d art, Slime model), Systemfre1 (Claptrap model), PROXY (Ram model), The_Silent (2D art, Darksteel Golem skin), Forgotten_Warlord (3D art, Dwarven house model), Callahan (FX art), Crazyrussion (2D art, command buttons, icon art), Dan van Ohllus (FX art), JetFangInferno (FX art), shamanyouranus (FX art), sc_freek (FX art), sPy (FX art), Szythe (FX art), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (FX art), judash137 (FX art), Champara Bros (3D & FX art), Metal_Sonic (FX art), N00byStance (FX art), !!GORO!! (3D art), RetroSexual (FX art) alaslayer (icon art), KelThuzad (icon art), AlienAtSystem (icon art), Paladon (icon art), NFWar (icon art), Anachron (icon art), PeeKay (FX art), ChevronSeven (FX art), epsilon (FX art), Domokun (3D art, Gattling Gun model), Kitabatake (3D art, sniper gun model), Domokun (3D art, Snake model), Sin'dorei300 (icon art), Matareal (3D art), Kwaliti (3D art), Yayoi (3D art), crl (FX art), RightField (3D art), xXm0rpH3usXx (3D art), oBs3rv3r (3D art), olofmoleman (3D art, Moria doodads), Daelin (FX art), Deolrin (3D art), Power (FX art), Em! (FX art), Boogles (FX art)

Have fun playing and don't forget to rate and report some feedback
Moco

Keywords:
Dwarf, Dwarves, hero, survival, RPG, coop, horror, slayer, slasher, gore, monster, zombie, dungeon, crawler, rogue, team, tactic, moco
Contents

Dwarven Monster Slayers (Map)

Reviews
10:57, 15th Mar 2014 Orcnet: damn I swear I made a filling criticism about this project some day ago, I might as well redo it all over again, for now its approved rating may vary.

M

10:57, 15th Mar 2014
Orcnet: damn I swear I made a filling criticism about this project some day ago, I might as well redo it all over again, for now its approved rating may vary.

Level 2
Man I'm getting my butt kicked on this map, can barely get past the first wave playing with my wife... although she's terrible, so may not be the best judge of difficulty.

Level 13
There are 3 ways to get gold: monster drops, barrels and selling items you do not need. However, don't expect gettin' too much gold in the first place.

The game is not meant to be a peace of cake, still it should be absolutely beatable if you get used to the heroes, abilities, monsters and such. So best of luck! ;)
BTW: If you want, you can share your playing experience in the project forum: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/dwarven-monster-slayers-709/.

EDIT: Based on what you've said, I'm currently thinking about increasing the barrel loot rate so destroying barrels is more rewarding. Point noticed for next update.

Last edited:
Level 2
Well after playing for a few hours, here is my feedback.

1. Gameplay wise, I have no complaints at all. The skills feel good, the characters are all useful. But I'm not a big fan of the mechanics behind the characters. This map lacks any sort of feeling towards building a character up. You have all the skills when you start the game, and you get no customization when you level up. All there is to do is try and get better items. With gold being so rare (Just as a test, on single player using godmode, I went from wave 1-3 with all 5 heroes fighting and by the end of wave 3, I had found 2 pieces of gold totaling I think 4 gold) it just feels too luck dependent. At least if I get gold per monster I kill, I know eventually I can afford to buy some items to help me along.

2. Characters:
I played a bit as each character, and enjoyed them all, but I really found out that this game is impossible if you don't have someone playing the healer. I won't complain too much about that, as you clearly state this game is about tactical teamwork... but I'm just personally not a fan of a map forcing you to have to play with a certain combination of characters.

3. I haven't gotten passed wave 3 playing without cheats, so the game is definitely difficult. But I was also trying to play it with my wife, who is fairly new to gaming and is pretty terrible. I hopefully can get my regularly WC3 Lan party group to try this out sometime this month.

4. Terrain: I didn't wander around the map too much, so I can't comment on it fully. The main combat area you start off in good for what it is, basically a tower-defense map with 5 dwarves instead of towers.

My overall judgement is I don't think this map is for me. I'm not saying it's bad, but I play maps for the character development, and this map doesn't offer that. If you're looking for a fairly difficult survival/defense map, this is definitely worth checking out, but plan on dying a lot. The custom monsters and skills are all very well done. I would love seeing you do a rpg map using a lot of the features in this game however!

Level 13
Thanks for your feedback!

Well, yeah, this is not very much about character development nor is it a typical relaxed RPG. The focus is clearly on playing your chars right and strategically team up to survive as long as possible. In that way, I want this game to be similiar to Killing Floor, but with the dwarven RPG flavor.

As it regards your specific points:

1. Yeah, I've already adressed this in the 0.81 update I've just released. Now, barrels provide more gold so you can buy some equip in the lower waves already.

2.+3. I definitely want the map to be beatable with as much different hero combinations as possible. honestly, in my playtests with friends, we always had hunter, priest and engineer combo. But before I draw any conclusion here, I'd like to wait for some other peoples feedback on team setups. Chapter I really isn't that difficult if you know what to do. Did you play with 2 heroes or 3? Which combination did you actually play? Maybe, the problem wasn't the missing healers, but that dangerous monsters like mummies hadn't been taken care of fast enough? (the hunter works great here, maybe the slayer is a bit underpowered in v0.81 in comparison)

Edit: One more question - I hope you haven't played in singleplayer with all 5 heroes at the same time? Because this won't be a good idea since the game is more difficult the more heroes are playing and you just won't be able to efficiently handle all heroes at once, even if you're very good at micro management. For SP, I recommend to use 2-3 heroes.

Anyways, balancing all the stuff is a tough challenge and I'm happy for any reports on playing experience (please always include the hero setups).

Last edited:
Level 2
Thanks for your feedback!

Well, yeah, this is not very much about character development nor is it a typical relaxed RPG. The focus is clearly on playing your chars right and strategically team up to survive as long as possible. In that way, I want this game to be similiar to Killing Floor, but with the dwarven RPG flavor.

As it regards your specific points:

1. Yeah, I've already adressed this in the 0.81 update I've just released. Now, barrels provide more gold so you can buy some equip in the lower waves already.

2.+3. I definitely want the map to be beatable with as much different hero combinations as possible. honestly, in my playtests with friends, we always had hunter, priest and engineer combo. But before I draw any conclusion here, I'd like to wait for some other peoples feedback on team setups. Chapter I really isn't that difficult if you know what to do. Did you play with 2 heroes or 3? Which combination did you actually play? Maybe, the problem wasn't the missing healers, but that dangerous monsters like mummies hadn't been taken care of fast enough? (the hunter works great here, maybe the slayer is a bit underpowered in comparison)

Edit: One more question - I hope you haven't played in singleplayer with all 5 heroes at the same time? Because this won't be a good idea since the game is more difficult the more heroes are playing and you just won't be able to handle all heroes at once, even if you're very good at micro management. For SP, I recommend to use 2-3 heroes.

Anyways, balancing all the stuff is a tough challenge and I'm happy for any reports on playing experience (please always include the hero setups).

1. My only concern with this is barrels don't respawn right? So now you're basically making it a mad dash for everyone to break barrels right away in order to get money and loot first.s

2. Like I mentioned, I was trying to play with my wife, so I wouldn't take my comments on difficulty too seriously. Playing solo, I was doing 2 character combos and was never able to get past wave 3. I tried a few different combos, but never was able to get just 2 people to gel. I know I was able to just set the hunter on auto pilot if the waves were coming out of the side, the eagle pet is able to shoot stuff through walls... that might be something you should look at fixing.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

1st try - what the f*ck happened o_O (hunter, priest, paladin)

2nd try - oh now I'm getting the hand of it! oh wait no, I got steamrolled again (paladin, priest)

3rd try - this thing needs difficulty settings or more documentation on how to play (warrior, priest)

edit: let me put the combinations before i forget them

The models are nice though! :)

Level 30
The Hive Workshop Official
mr_design_mapreview.jpg

Map Reviewer: Hell_Master
Map Name: Dwarven Monster Slayers
Map Author: MoCo

mr_design_mapaspects.jpg

Originality

Map is pretty much original. It has some RPG/Dungeon Crawl/Defense feeling in it and I salute you for making a map such as this with combined map types.

Score: 84/100

Presentation

Presentation is pretty much short but neat and leads to its Hosted Project Page which provides great amount of informations. Nothing much to say and nice job!

Score: 79/100

Design

The Minimap Image looks great and fitting while Loading Screen could have some more visuals in it except for the Game's Logo. I do think it would better if you will add a game scene in your map as a background image at the Loading Screen or depends on how you will do it. It could also have an introduction in it. Others looks pretty much fine and there is no problem in it of course.

Score: 63/100

Terrain

Terrain is quite great and is pretty much detailed for a map. Nothing much to say and it is pretty much great!

Score: 90/100

Object Data

Everything looks fine and well. Map/File Size looks reasonable for a map that is great and fun to play.

Score: 69/100

Gameplay

The game looks indeed fine though I would suggest you to let players choose their desired difficulty instead of scaling difficulty depending on number of players in-game and also even with a scaled difficulty, its quite hard. I would suggest is lessen the monster spawned at each Waves because its like Hardcore even at Wave 2 and 3 of Chapter 1 and also saying my ally is not use to the game yet. Also, it would be great if you will raise the chances of gold dropping at Barrels and also at monsters to make each of them worth fighting.

Others looks great though it is just the difficulty that is greatly bothering me which for me is not quite newbie-friendly.

Score: 61/100

mr_design_suggestions.jpg

The Loading Screen could still be improved by adding an image at it instead of just a logo which looks simple. Also, add some sort of an introduction in it or descriptions. It would be much better.

The difficulty could be tone down or better yet let players choose the difficulty.

Lessen the spawned monster because even at Wave 2,3 and so on, its quite hard to handle such massive amounts of monsters and Cave Trolls.

Monsters chances of dropping golds should be raised so it will be worth fighting them instead of just for experience and winning a round.

The game could be more friendly to starters and newcomers.

mr_design_finalresult.jpg

Final Score: 74.333/100
4/5 Vote for Approval

mr_user_Hell_Master.jpg

Contact: (Visitor Message) / (Private Message) / (Map Reviewers)

Level 13
Thanks for your review Hell_Master! However, I found some of your ratings a bit arbitrary, respectively, not very traceable. For example, Object Data, Score: 69/100 What do you mean exactly and how comes the rating? What should be changed to get a higher rating here? For each downrating, there should be a clear point so that one knows what is missing and what needs to be improved regarding that point.

I like the idea to add a little description to the loading screen though.

As it regards difficulty, it seems that some people complain about the game being too hard. However, I need to point that louj3580 beat the game after 2 days, and points that Chapter 2 and 3 might even be a bit too easy, see here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...gestions-ideas-235550/index2.html#post2467221

Therefore, I'm really not sure if it really is too hard, or weather some people expect too much on the first try. This isn't meant to be a piece of cake and some skill and experience are definitely required. Anyways, I recognize that difficulty options are necessary here, so I will add difficulty modes (EDIT: done!).
After all, which map version did you reviewed? The low amount of gold had been kind of an issue in 0.80, but there should be more than enough by now (also, see the linked report from louj3580, maybe it is even too much gold right now).

Last edited:
Level 13
Well, so here is the 0.84 update, introducing difficulty modes. This is for all of you who think the game is too hard. The others might enjoy the new hard and insane modes. I've also extended the map description here and added some hints for beginners.

Well, right now, the difficulty modes are implemented with a quite quick and dirty approach. I hadn't found the time yet to really test them. Basically, they just affect toughness of monsters and the amount of score. As soon as I find the time, I will add loot depending on difficulty (higher difficulty = bigger challenge = bigger loot). In addition, I'm working on setting the systems so that monster also do higher damage on higher difficulties. Then again, a lot of testing will be necessary. Since work awaits from this week on, don't expect updates being as fast as they are coming now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I will test the new version, thanks for that quick update :)

If I have to be honest, some of those values look like pulled out from ass

Namely: Presentation, Design, Object data

Like, you said ooh its great and stuff, and you give it like < (3/4)*100; that doesn't make sense to me

Hey, don't diss 2012 people! :mad:

Edit: oh shit your too...

Level 28

Would you just stick with 1-10 instead of 1-100. Your score isn't really gives justice since you just give it very short insight.

And you would save us a lot of scrolling if you trash that fancy layout and unnecessary information like Object Data and Presentation. Originality can also fall on the gameplay. That will give you more time on giving opinions about the gameplay and terrain.

EDIT:

Hey, don't diss 2012 people! :mad:

The irony though.

Level 13
edit: Is this map solo-playable? Not like, winable, but playable

Yes. It is. I've soloed with the hunter and managed to beat Chapter I incl. the boss. I haven't continued afterwards though. Of course you can always choose to play more than one hero in singleplayer.
This is just a guess, but I think with a highly equipped hero the full game might be beatable solo. I will test this some day and probably add a special achievement for beating the map solo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Could you add like super easy difficulty, it seems still too hard even on easy :/

Level 13
Really? Hmm, I see.
Well, right now, Easy difficulty only reduces the monster health, but not their damage. The reason is that reducing damage is quite tricky in terms of programming with the damage event system I use. But I see what I can do about this. Maybe I find a smooth way to reduce monster damage on easy as well . That should make things much more easy.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

If you're going with reducing damage, maybe just reducing attack speed, because it would lower DPS.

Level 13
Alright then. I changed the damage modifiers to a command aura based system. This way, I can easily set any damage modifiers, even negative ones, without too much coding troubles.

Last update for today: 0.85b. Now, on easy difficulty, monsters deal only 65% of normal damage. That should smooth things out a lot and help beginners to get into the game.

Last edited:
Level 4
Can you add a -clear command, to remove the code from the screen, after we type -save?

Level 23
I played it on easy mode before this update :D

I played solo, with Warrior, Priest and Hunter
wiped twice, but it was a lot of fun, it took me according to the timer 114 minutes roughly and I ended with 75K score

But I abused one corner nearly whole game lol, until the hell fire guys started appearing

I have a suggestion tho

Tou could hide the multiboard when doing cinematics, mainly the final one as it wasnt possible to see all the texttags

Also, when priest and hunter died during the last boss fight, it was easier than harder tbh, zhe kept me making hostile and teleporting
You could disable the Hostility thing if there is 1 hero alive left, because while hostile, I regened mana ao insta heals and they also went running god knows where

Level 13
Hehe, and new easy mode is easier than ever before.. ;)
I still need to balance and adjust the difficulty values though.. nothing's final here.

Thanks for your feedback edo494; these are good points. I'll definitely adress them in the next update.

As it regards your corner-strategy, this is a game aspect of very high relevance. I don't think it's abuse, it's a valid strategy. However, I dislike the fact that this strategy is even possible in the game. I actually want to force players to move on from time to time. I would also like to see some battles where the heroes have to fight in uncomfortable places for some reason to keep things spicey. The randomly located merchant helps a bit, but it's not enough I'm afraid.

So, as a matter of fact, I'm still searching for a good gameplay mechanism that forces players to move on, respectively, that encourages them to stick in certain places from time to time (which may not be the places they want to stick). Any ideas regarding that point are VERY welcome and much appreciated.

A possible, quick idea would be to spawn dangerous, damaging ground effects on a place when heroes stick there for too long.. or, maybe better, to just spawn these ground effects on random, good locations so that particular areas are temporarily locked from time to time. This might work already, but I dunno... maybe you have a more elegant solution?!

Level 4
Hello sorry for the wait internet was down . On my first try at the game I got slathered by wave 3 so I left the game until I got home with my brother so we could lan . We played with an archer and engineer and managed to win the game on our second go how ever we did flop once .We are both rather good at miro and ( we used the ability to shoot through wall to a devastating effect)

So far I have enjoyed the Hero design and their abilities I have noticed that the archer is the only hero that doesn't have a defensive ability , not complaining just pointing it out if you have over looked it .

The monster design is good, I especially like the models in HP love craft tribute wave.
At first there were some things that bugged me like how long the waves were , that I couldn't get past wave 3 on single player extra but after a few matches I started to really enjoy the game .

Pros
-I like how you are give just enough mana to keep abitlites coming out at a steady pace but not spam them so please don't change this too much.

-Nice terrain so pretty , some things I would like you to change a but over all a great look.

-The game really shines out in multiplayer as I single player I found it miserable as I couldn't get past wave 5 , however in multiplayer it was on of the bet multiplayer experiences I have had in a long time.

-Hero design is good as I have highly enjoyed my current plays with the engineer and the berserk , and my Brother enjoyed the archer.

Cons
-I would like you to make single player easier as you cannot micro the heroes to their full potential by your self and I would like for you to take that into account.

-so far after 4 complete games from start to end we have found only rather plain items not as it level of items but as in the bonuses of the item as all the weapones we have found give an increase in the attack/spell power and have yet to find much else .The items a pretty much the same just upgraded versions.Would like to see more special items that have more interesting effects and that effect the heroes abilities e.g. increase or improve them adding new effects .

-The game will be very hard for a person who has poor micro or who is new to Warcraft or gaming.

What I would like to see in the future.
-more interesting items
-easier single player
-a way to track completed achievements
-increased randomization and I want each match to feel more different from the previous.
- no longer able to shoot through walls .

Bugs
-I have already reported one.
-If a player leaves the game their dwarf will not be in the final cinematic.

Rating
I would love to give this a 5/5 but I can't I think it deserves more and because I thing it can improve which I hope it does in the coming months.

Highlights of game play
-getting better items
- the HP Lovecraft wave and the spiders , my to favorite waves in the game
- deciding where to defend
- final cinematic is awesome love it so much !!!!!!!!
-game in general

Keep up the great work thanks for awesome game really enjoy playing it would give 1 million rep but I can't so +1 rep for now.

Level 13
Thanks for your great feedback, savingup!

- More items:
Yes! Totally agree, especially weapons can use more interesting, individual effects. So yeah, there will be a big item update, however, this point has to wait until some some other things are done before I guess.

- Easier singleplayer:
I think with the new easy mode, it really should be easy enough. If it's still to hard for some people, they just have to get a lan game running - as you've already said, the real magic is in multiplayer here - it's not really a game with SP focus at all.

- Tracking achievements:
Alright, good point. I will add these to the stats. Or, maybe, I'll add a new command that displays everything you've achieved during the game. This way, you can display all your achievements and such, take a screenshot and post it here to show that you are badass.

- Increased randomization:
Again, totally agree. That's also a direct match with the things, I've mentioned in the post before yours. I want different situations from game to game, and not always defending in the same sweet spots. This has highest priority for me right now since it will have a big impact on the fun.

- Shooting through walls:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I still think there is no way to prevent this from happening. Walls use air pathing blockers and in the WCIII engine, pathing blockers can be shoot over. If anyone has a solution for this, would be great of course.

- Individuality of chapters:
This is a point not on your list, but a major aspect I'm planning to improve. I think the chapters should feel more differently in terms of combat mechanics. In Chapter 1, you have masses of small monsters, some dangerous ones and few fatties. I think for chapter 2, there should be something different. Maybe less small ones, but more fatties, but less monsters in total (a bit like in wave 11)....

So, this isn' finished yet. I will keep updating the game til we all can surely say that there's nothing left to do.

Last edited:
Level 4
On the shooting through wall I think there was something in mercenaries however I could be wrong. You could also make it that you cannot see through wall thus you can't shoot through them.

BUG
When you face the Royrn dwarf that you face at the end of the 2nd chapter you can attack him during the cinematic.

Individuality
My brother thinks you could add a cinematic or some dialogue for the special waves ( spider , sea creature and when you fight the elite guards that teleport)

Units Suggestion

The Lurker

The Lurker is an ancient creature that roams the dwarven halls .This creature is meant to prevent camping and is released in chapter 3 or 2 . The creature is a moving living shroud of darkness the creature decreases the players vision radius and causes hallucinations feeding on their nightmares.

HP : ??

Speed :slow

Also if you have't added a link to the map at the main forms please do so.

Level 23
that is still rather temporary fix, if I hero gives sight behind the wall, others can safely do the same as before

I have a true fix in mind, but I have to test it to see if it will work

If you are intersted o how I did it, I can attach replay(saved it :D) to post so you can see what I abused a lot, even tho the big demons with AoE rain of fire wiped me once

I cant micro properly but I just spammed heals on warr and bear and they wrecked the enemies :D, so I didnt find it astonishingly hard, but quite challanging

Edit: I more suggestion, make Acquiration range of warrior bigger, because currently its as big as his attack ranve, so unless something really wanta to bite his azs, or I order him Attack ground somewherd, he will ne just standing still looking at the bear get smacked :D

Level 13
Here's 0.86 and it is a big update this time:

- Chapter II has been drastically improved/changed. There now is a reaper demon going around, very slow, but deadly. It's no longer possible to stay in one place for too long now. In addition, chapter II now features less total monsters but more deadly ones. As a consequence, the overall feeling and playing experience should be very different to chapter I now.

- Other improvements with this version: Walls now block line of sight, loot chances are now depending on the difficulty, there are some new commands, a more informative loading screen as well as multiple small bug fixes.

I think the new chapter II needs some testing though. I think it's more difficult now than before. I've also probably left some bugs on the way..

Level 23

- Chapter II has been drastically improved/changed. There now is a reaper demon going around, very slow, but deadly. It's no longer possible to stay in one place for too long now. In addition, chapter II now features less total monsters but more deadly ones. As a consequence, the overall feeling and playing experience should be very different to chapter I now.

- Other improvements with this version: Walls now block line of sight, loot chances are now depending on the difficulty, there are some new commands, a more informative loading screen as well as multiple small bug fixes.

I think the new chapter II needs some testing though. I think it's more difficult now than before. I've also probably left some bugs on the way..

I shall never update my map again, so I can camp!!! :D

Level 4

We have just attempted a play through of the newest version on hard and we failed sadly , second level in the second chapter. The reaper adds a new exciting element to the game as do the stronger but fewer monsters. This makes it an exhilarating game of cat and mouse were your team must stick together or be cornered and picked of by the reaper.

The new atmosphere created by the wall gives you the feeling of being in a dungeon as does you limited sight range which we found rather creepy especially in chapter 2 where we were literally shaking.

We think the second chapter may need nerfing how ever we will need to play several more times just to be sure.A great update we have some other suggestions but we would like to leave it for later as not to over whelm you with lots of comments.

Level 2
I would warn you about trying to force players into playing the way you think they should instead of the way they want to. If someone doesn't want to camp one spot, they don't have to, but now you're forcing those who enjoy setting up a home base to always be on the move, which isn't exactly the ideal scenario in a survival situation. Taking away the ability to shoot through walls is a big step to making camping harder, as before you could just sit in a corner of one of the long winding hallways with the hunter and just steam roll all the small enemies. You fixed that issue with the line of site, I wouldn't go adding in a reaper monster at that point.

Level 6
The game looks and sounds fun from the comments I read but I can't seem to download the game from here. It just starts and then freezes not even 1/5 of the download.

Level 6
Just finished playing with my brother and to sum it up... It was awesome! We made it to the 15th wave where we got stuck and finished there so we never fought the final boss. There were no bugs, except one. When we fought Mordred and Barney we wiped the first time and had to beat the wave before them. Then during the preparation time Reaper of Souls spawned and kept attacking us which almost ruined our preparations, but we managed to defeat the bosses. After we defeated Barney (Mordred was still alive) message appeared saying we defeated both Barney and Mordred. This however didn't ruin our gameplay and the bug isn't very "serious".
The map is great and is really fun, can't wait to try out the other Heroes and perhaps beat the final boss.
Oh, and I have only 1 question. Where did you find the Maggot model (or skin)? Looks like it's taken from Morrowind.

Level 13
I would warn you about trying to force players into playing the way you think they should instead of the way they want to.

I think this is less forcing players to do something but more of a decision in terms of game design. And it's a decision taken for good reasons. Of course, camping can be very effective if in the right spot. But if a mechanism is effective, players will use it. Competitive players won't run around just because they have fun to, but find the best way to beat the map. And ff the best way is camping in the sweet spot, the strategy will always be the same, on each take of the map. Unfortunately, this also makes the game boring and does not really help to increase replayability value. So, this is just not the tactical depth and complexity I had in mind. Taken the new chapter II mechanism, I have to say I'm really happy with it. It adds some tension and it's gonna be a different experience each time you play. Still, you can camp in Chapter I and probably in chapter III too. :)

Silverfox, thanks for your feedback. I'll adress the bugs you've mentioned. Concerning the maggot model, I'm not quite sure, which resource site I had it taken from. Could be Hive, WC3Campagins, or some russian WC3 site. It may be possible, that this russian site contained some ripoff models so I'll check this.

Last edited:
Level 23
I think this is less forcing players to do something but just a decision in terms of game design. And it's a decision taken for good reasons. Of course, camping can be very effective if in the right spot. But if a mechanism is effective, players will use it. Competitive players won't run around just because they have fun to, but find the best way to beat the map. If this way is camping in the best spot, the strategy will always be the same, on each take of the map. This also will make the game absolutely boring, as I'm aiming for maximum replayability value. So, this is just not the tactical depth and complexity I had in mind. Taken the new chapter II mechanism, I have to say I'm really happy with the it. It may be a bit hard right now, but it adds tension and will be a different experience each time you play. And it's also a real difference to chapter I. I also think, most other people like the change. Still, you can camp in Chapter I and probably in chapter III too. :)

Silverfox, thanks for your feedback. I'll adress the bugs you've mentioned. Concerning the maggot model, I'm not quite sure, which resource site I had it taken from. Could be Hive, WC3Campagins, or some russian WC3 site. It may be possible, that this russian site contained some ripoff models so I'll check this.

chapter 3 is hard to camp tho, because of those guys with AoE abilities, they will wreck whatever is behind the tank

I wonder if you increased Aqcuration(dont know if thats exactly how its spelled lol :D) range of the Leader