• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dutch Researcher Created A Super-Influenza Virus With The Potential To Kill Millions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Here it is.

Fouchier’s genetically modified strain is extremely contagious and dangerous, killing about 50% of infected patients. The former strain did not represent a global threat, as transmission from human to human is rare. Or, at least, it was before Fouchier genetically modified it.

Your thoughts? I, for one, can not see any good reason why they even thought about doing this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The irony is that those guys has not created a good weapon. It only has a 50% kill rate and requires nearby human exposure to be transmitted. In the case of an epidemic, masks and anti biotics can be deployed to help treat it probably lowering the spread to pathetic levels and death rates to more acceptable levels like 33% or less.

Now lets compare it to the guys who developed atomic weaponry. 1 nuke kills millions and leaves a large area uninhabitable for ages. Nukes also cause massive structural damage unlike a virus which can stop automated defenses. Further more the worlds combined nuclear weaponry is enough that it can kill 99.99999% of all life and prevent recovery for millions of years.

The end result is that his super weapon is nothing more than a calculatable risk. Humanity has survived such viruses in the past, some of which caused much higher death rates (such as the black death).

So now the Illuminati are Zionists?

The crazy theories that kids come up with these days...

I never suggested that. What makes you think I did? >_>

Illuminati and Zionists are like Arabs and Muslims. (Respectively):

Not all arabs are muslims.
Not all muslims are arabs.
Most arabs are muslims.
Most muslims are not arabs.

Anything else you'd like to point out?

Level 8
I never suggested that. What makes you think I did? >_>

Illuminati and Zionists are like Arabs and Muslims. (Respectively):

Not all arabs are muslims.
Not all muslims are arabs.
Most arabs are muslims.
Most muslims are not arabs.

Anything else you'd like to point out?

Zionists are actually Jews. Not sure why you'd confuse them with Arabs, their mortal enemy... *Scratches head*

Level 11
@DrSuperGood that is true, but creating a virus is much easier then creating a nuclear bomb, and someone who wants to misuse it can create it it more significant numbers then he can nuclear weapons.

Level 11
Their unpredictability is the problem. One who releases it probably has suicidal intentions anyway. And by the time you make the cure it already took its toll, you don't need to actually kill a lot of people because of the mass panic, and also viruses can adapt to the countermeasure.
This one wasn't engineered, just modified.

Level 14
People tend to fear pandemics more than super weapons, as far as I know. Probably because diseases are much more common than nuke strikes.

E: And of course, if there will ever be disease with potential to kill half of the population on earth, just imagine the riots and panic...

Level 14
@DSG

Nuclear weapons are powerful but the results aren't liked. What is the point of conquering an area which is uninhabitable and where you need to build everything back up? A virus would just be released, kill the population, but the buildings will be intact. Now if your people have the cure, you can just go populate that area while your people are cured.

Level 11
VX gas? Virus would do better, cuz it is self replicating, and you need a small amount if it can get to a host quickly(release it in a crowded aria)

Level 23
No offence to any Dutch people here, but thats what happens when scientists who have nothing to do and legalized weed combine.

But seriously, how retarded do you have to be? Im a genetic engineer! What could I do today? Cure for AIDs? Nah. Help create better antibiotics? Nah. Oooh, I know! Lets make a deadly strain of avian flu that can be carried by humans!

There are enough nukes to kill whole population too, but both are a bit harder to distribute then viruses...

Yeah but those wouldn't just have an impact on humans D:

Also, I just say release it all in China, but then, we would start seeing 'Made in Germany' a lot, so that wouldn't be a good sign.

And @Fussiler1, what plague do you mean? I remember reading about a plague killing about 20 million people in Europe 500 years ago.

Level 22
Don't worry for We Shall Prevail, their depopulation plans through biological disease will fall.

139730-albums4171-picture53607.gif
VS 
mzl.sjqhkfkf.100x100-75.jpg

They will be destroyed ----->
The Masons shall be OBLITERATED
Along with religion
Along with some cultures
Along with everything you've known so far.

Level 22
Here it is.

Your thoughts? I, for one, can not see any good reason why they even thought about doing this.

If I had a nickle people mass-panicked every time the fucking news said there is going to be an influenza outbreak that will kill up in the ranks of a million, I would be a god damn rich ass bastard.

This is such total bullshit, and I don't understand why Ralle is allowing people to post things completely unrelated to THW on stickies, so I have to see them every time I logon, until I get so tired of the idiocy I click that red X mark.

The keyword is potential. It will never happen.

Level 23
Kill it with fire.

It could be useful, if the bird flu did evolve, so that we had a cure..
However, that is not the case.
I say find the damn cure, and then destroy the thing. He could have the death of half of the worlds population on his conscience, if this went wrong..

Level 4
WHAT PLAGUE, WHAT MAD MAN IN THE WORLD WNATS TO CONQURE THE WORLD AND GETS HIM SELVE KILLED IN THE PROSESS.

ARE YOU SURE THIS IS TRUE BECAUSE I KNOW THE MEDIA IS WELL KNOWN FOR ESAGERATING THINGS. LIKE THE SHIP THAT CRASHED OFF THE COAST OF NEW ZEALAND, IT TURNED OUT THAT IT WAS NOT RELLY THAT big MATTER IN FACT THERE WAS A MURDER THAT LASTED 4 YEARS ON THE NEWS CHANNEL.

WELL THE WORLD IS GONE STOP AND EVERYONE WILL RUN IN CHAOS SO......

ITS TIME TO KILL ZOMBIES GRAB YOUR BATS AND GUNZ

Level 30
"...researchers and experts in bioterrorism debate whether it is a good idea to publish the virus creation ”recipe”..."
"...used a pair of ferrets for testing..."
"...the virus has mutated allowing it to spread through air..."
"...could get sick just being near another infected animal..."
"...potential benefits..."

Let's kill that pathetic idiot. You can't develop the cure if you don't find the poison. Why the fuck this idiot invented a new potential plaguing death to millions?

But this looks more like pointless bragging and useless self advertising.

Level 4
Are they try to kill us because we are not smart at all or is it they want more funding or is it they want WW3 or is it they are all becoming evil scientists or is it they want to create super solders or is it they hate the Jews no offence.

if it is non of these reasons please tell us.

Level 22
Are they try to kill us because we are not smart at all or is it they want more funding or is it they want WW3 or is it they are all becoming evil scientists or is it they want to create super solders or is it they hate the Jews no offence.

if it is non of these reasons please tell us.

You're all foolish.

You think, if this unlikely fact, is accurate, he acted on his own?! IDIOCY. He was most likely contracted by a government, sounds like a fucking conspiracy right? It could be. What's more powerful than a nuclear weapon that could lay waste to a city? A virus that could kill an entire continent.

Or the biggest conspiracy of all, this happens all the time, people are just too blind to realize it. He could be contracted by a pharmaceutical company that stands to make millions off of the antiserum. That's exactly why there is no cure for cancer, treating it is just too lucrative.

No one is going to release a fucking super-virus on the world, what profit would they make for something like this?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You lot are probably getting the idea behind his reasearch wrong... His reasearch is probably in how viruses become infectious and this was a byproduct of his research. The actual research is likly well intended and is being done to help prevent epidemics (understanding how they happen and how to combat them).

If he was a real weapon scientist, you would not even be hearing about this stuff and it would be at a 90%+ kill rate (50% is too low for an effective weapon). There would also already be a vacine against it to come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.