• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Drugs Are Bad, M'Kay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
The point remains, can they do it? Can they stay clean for six months?

I have my own reasons behind the challenge...
Your point makes no sense, its just a way to say "you cant stop for 1-6months cold turkey because you are all potheads! Even though I dont know how much you use it, why or your reasons!, you also cant retort back to this because my answer requires you to wait for a month+! because i am challenging you over a "habit" i have never experienced!"

Seriously. Think about it.
Its like me saying to you Elenai "smoke it for 6 months and then you will understand why we like it and know it isnt addictive!" No. it just doesn't work like that..

Level 35
My reasons are my own. But alas...why do you need to defend them?

As you said they will only get a headache for what...2 days? If they are even addicted?

Come now, it should be so exceedingly easy for them to give it up for six months...why all the fuss?

If they can't do it...well....point proven...But if they can?

Well, we'll see.

My challenge: Six months, cold turkey.

They can accept it, or leave it...

Level 27
Stop doing weed, IE: quit cold turkey, for three, to six months.
I've seen it happen.

But don't let me saying that stop anyone from taking this challenge.

This experiment doesn't work, though. Going cold turkey on, say, crystal meth, you're liable to get fatal withdrawal symptoms. People can go cold turkey on nicotine rather safely. Even if it is addictive, it's really just a matter of will power as to whether or not you can quit. Even so, psychological addiction does exist. They may "suffer withdrawal" from an inert substance simply because of their psychological addiction.

The main reason that people wont take up your challenge is that they don't think they need to prove it to themselves. For example, suppose I were to pose you the challenge of going a month, or even a week without internet. Okay, that depends highly on the person you are asking, but for me that is a pretty big thing considering how much I use it.

I am possibly the only person I know who has even taken this kind of useless challenge.

Or you know, maybe I just felt like being AFK for a week.

No. Do not legalize cannabies, it will weaken the politicians.

Wait, what? I don't think cannabis would strengthen or weaken politicians - weakening politicians is definitely something I would like to see, but I don't think mind altering substances are the best way to do that.

About the whole addiction thing:
I don't do it, so I really don't know how addicting it is or not. One thing I do find certain is that people sometimes become mentally dependent on it, they need it to enjoy life. When you can't enjoy something as simple as being alive without buying a tangible product to constantly keep yourself doped up, then your cheating yourself.

Yes people can be addicted to the internet (In China its actually considered a mental problem), yes people can become addicted to coffee, but that doesn't mean being addicted is a good thing, nor does it validate weed as something positive to become addicted to, mentally or physically.

Level 15
I don't smoke it now, I won't smoke it if it's legalized.
I don't call the cops on my neighbors who obviously smoke it (everyone in the neighborhood can smell it) and I definitely won't if it's legalized.

I say legalize it. What damage does it actually cause again?

Level 34
I don't smoke it now, I won't smoke it if it's legalized.
I don't call the cops on my neighbors who obviously smoke it (everyone in the neighborhood can smell it) and I definitely won't if it's legalized.

I say legalize it. What damage does it actually cause again?

Hardly anything, for the exception of the 0.1% users who go apeshit, rob shops, sleep in the gutter and etc.

Level 28
The same sad discussion as always ^^
I am a smoker and have been for a quite long time.

I admit that it makes lazy/poor but I'm of the opinion, generally people should ONLY smoke free willingly plus being at the approprite age.
If they're too young and do it out of curiosity, the possibilty is high that they'll 'try to be cool' by smoking (be it tobacco or thc) which is wrong.
Also, funny suff shouldn't be done to get rid of X, but rather to (which applies for my case) extend one's creativity and to relax.
Doingitwrong may lead into addiction.
That's why anyone smoking must be aware of the possible consequences.

I for myself am against the legalization due to the above statement - the more people smoke, the higher's the chance of getting addicted.
(The idea for the government to make money from selling grass is just bwah.
It's abuse in my opinion o_O)

but rather to (which applies for my case) extend one's creativity and to relax.

Ok, I'm a musician and this is a very common idea that weed will help you write good music (well you said creativity so I think that applies here) and I find this very annoying and short minded. Your writing won't improve if your high, and the thought that it helps you write good music is just an excuse to continue taking drugs.

(The idea for the government to make money from selling grass is just bwah.
It's abuse in my opinion o_O)

Lol, ironic isn't it?

Level 27
I for myself am against the legalization due to the above statement - the more people smoke, the higher's the chance of getting addicted.
Putting a limit on the drinking age doesn't stop minors from drinking. Literally any underage person can get access to alcohol if they so desired. I wont say cannabis is that easy to get, but the truth remains the same: Only those who would smoke will smoke. There aren't any people who don't smoke cannabis simply because it is illegal, just like there aren't any minors that refrain from drinking because it is illegal for them.

Okay, so not any isn't very much true, but it is true that a large number of people smoke and drink despite it being illegal. I could make the argument that a lot of people do it because it is illegal. Something about the teenage rebellious mindset. Not only that, but not making something legal does not make mean it is condoned. I hear you can get high off of rubber cement fumes and nutmeg. Does the government not making them illegal mean they support that usage?

Overall, I can't say that there would be a huge increase in the number of stoners simply by making it legal. Maybe people will be more willing to admit they are, but that isn't a physical increase. All this pales in comparison, I think, to the problems this causes for the people that get caught. Don't you have any sympathy for the people that get arrested and convicted and go to prison over something that shouldn't be an issue?
The idea for the government to make money from selling grass is just bwah.
Not selling it: Taxing the sale of it. It is said that marijuana is America's #1 cash crop.

WherewolfTherewolf said:
Ok, I'm a musician and this is a very common idea that weed will help you write good music (well you said creativity so I think that applies here) and I find this very annoying and short minded. Your writing won't improve if your high, and the thought that it helps you write good music is just an excuse to continue taking drugs.

I love how people say things they have almost no idea about.
I take it as you have never been high (and are proud of it blah blah blah).

When high, you're very creative as you generally think about things with more depth. It also brings new ideas that you may have not thought of before, and ESPECIALLY with music rythym and lyrics come far more easy.

So stop bashing people who smoke weed as drug addict low-lifes, because you are very wrong.

I love how people say things they have almost no idea about.
I take it as you have never been high (and are proud of it blah blah blah).

When high, you're very creative as you generally think about things with more depth. It also brings new ideas that you may have not thought of before, and ESPECIALLY with music rythym and lyrics come far more easy.

So stop bashing people who smoke weed as drug addict low-lifes, because you are very wrong.

1: I never bashed drug addicts as low-lifes
2: Yes I am proud for never taking drugs - this whole thing kinda reminds of this time someone told me this:
"If you hold your breath for 30 seconds then have someone press hardly on your throat and hold it for 2 seconds you'll pass out, but only for a few seconds. It's awesome, you should try it"

I'd rather not be choked, and I'd rather not depend on psychedelics to come up with rhythms

Level 14

Not necessarily true. It makes you think you're more creative. There have been people who have been successful musicians with pot and some without. I would, as a musician myself, argue that pot only hinders your creative capabilities. I haven't met a single pothead who is good at school, yet.

And no, I don't do drugs, mostly because I find no reason to make myself high to feel alive or creative. But I have no problem with people who do. In fact, in highschool I was friend with someone who sold pot. Didn't matter to me much.

Not selling it: Taxing the sale of it. It is said that marijuana is America's #1 cash crop.

One of the reasons that I'm for the legalization of pot.

Also the fact that beer is just as addictive, if not more, as pot. Why is that legal when pot isn't?

Stop doing weed, IE: quit cold turkey, for three, to six months

My aforementioned friend did that after he got kicked out of his first highschool. Albeit he started it again halfway through the year lol, but without a major affect to his work.

Level 21
Actually, the only point of forbidding THC is that it would help criminals, and the gouvernment would lose another jackass ("those were pot-smokers! they could not think clear!"), and oh well, it would affect everyone, it smells more as cigarettes and if someone is in the same room as the smoking guy, it has a much more negative effect as cigarettes, you get high after some time, thats against the our "rules", the basic rules of humanity: "The own will"

But people like Elenai, which cannot argument should stop talking, things like "Weed is not right *cry*" or "It is not good!!! it makes addicted!" are just stupid without knowing the facts.

Level 30
You should read again, I said if you smoke weed, other around you will get high.... and thats against their will...

If one person grabs a stick, everybody will. If not, smoke it outside.
Smoke it outside anyways, you don't want the smell to get into your sofa and stuff, do you?

Also, Elenai, I dare you to live without electricity for 6 months.

Last edited:
Level 35
Also, Elenai, I dare you to live without electricity for 6 months.

I don't have to accept your challenge, neither do potheads have to accept mine.

A fundamental difference however: I need electricity to survive, cooking food is difficult without it...

Weed however, is purely a pleasure inducing thing, but I can't help but note the pure and simple hostility towards such an easy challenge...so very easy, I mean...my my I can't possibly see why people who aren't really addicted to it are so hostile when given the challenge to give it up.

At any rate, the reasoning behind my challenge has been fulfilled.

Level 28
Putting a limit on the drinking age doesn't stop minors from drinking. Literally any underage person can get access to alcohol if they so desired. I wont say cannabis is that easy to get
Well further, noone has died from smoking canna bis as far as I know.
Compared to alcohol-caused death, you know what I mean.
I won't say Cannabis is good for you by saying so - it's better than drinking alcohol if you ask me but still not benefitical for your mind ;)

It's true that you don't get *cough* drugs as easy than alcohol (unless you live in the netherlands) but still, it's easy to spot people who fit into your niché and the rest is a mere matter of time.

Level 30
I don't have to accept your challenge, neither do potheads have to accept mine.

A fundamental difference however: I need electricity to survive, cooking food is difficult without it...

Weed however, is purely a pleasure inducing thing, but I can't help but note the pure and simple hostility towards such an easy challenge...so very easy, I mean...my my I can't possibly see why people who aren't really addicted to it are so hostile when given the challenge to give it up.

At any rate, the reasoning behind my challenge has been fulfilled.

Weed is luxury and so is electricity. So what are you trying to say? Also, almost NOBODY is addicted to weed. So everybody is hostile towards you? That might just have another cause than the one you mentioned.

Idk, maybe legalizing weed would reduce the amount of pot smokers over time - in the US, the time in which drinking was at it's peak of use was when it was illegal - along with the dangers associated with it, without standards things like moonshine could be sold (not legally of course) - after it became legal again the popularity and amount of alcohol addicts decreased over time. Perhaps the same principal would hold with Weed?

This is just a theory of course

-I don't support pot smoking, but I do realize that just because somethings legal doesn't mean your forced to take part in it.

And yes, it is possible to become addicted to weed - almost anything can cause addiction

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Drugs like "cannabis" cause permant brain damage even after one use and are not found naturally in your system. They are also addictive, meaning that some people will get hooked and unable to drop it after only a few trys.

On the other hand, alchole (ethonal) does not cause any damage if drunk in moderation. Infact you are breaking this stuff down 24/7 even if you do not drink as it is a product of the breakdown of some foodstuff you eat. Thus your body will take no permant damage. Alchohole is not addictive as there are no chemicals in it which stimulate the brain directly (only by-products which poision the brain or interfear with its function by slowing nerve responses), any forms of addiction are causes of psycological addiction getting addicted to the nasty effect of overdrinking.

I am outraged that you dare compare drugs to alchohole, its people like you who have made the UK tax beer so much.

Nonmedical Drugs are illegal cause they are posisions. The plants they come from used them as posions for protection and some of the modern ones are made from dangerous or hazzardous chemicals. You would not drink pure 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and 2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4,5-T) so why take drugs.

Yes your grandfather or parents might have taken nonmedical drugs and ended up fine, but those drugs were more natural and less dangerous than the modern drugs. Not only are a lot of illegal drugs filled with poision (yes, I mean real posision) to save costs, but the actual drugs themselves are made from lab processes to make them more concentrated and more dangerous.

This site, like all moral sites, will keep firm on its anti nonmedical drugs policy. Please keep your uninformed ideas on the subject to yourself.

Everything you said in that post was not only wrong, it was unbelievably stupid and inaccurate.

DSG said:
Drugs like "cannabis" cause permant brain damage even after one use and are not found naturally in your system. They are also addictive, meaning that some people will get hooked and unable to drop it after only a few trys.

On the other hand, alchole (ethonal) does not cause any damage if drunk in moderation. Infact you are breaking this stuff down 24/7 even if you do not drink as it is a product of the breakdown of some foodstuff you eat. Thus your body will take no permant damage. Alchohole is not addictive as there are no chemicals in it which stimulate the brain directly (only by-products which poision the brain or interfear with its function by slowing nerve responses), any forms of addiction are causes of psycological addiction getting addicted to the nasty effect of overdrinking.

I am outraged that you dare compare drugs to alchohole, its people like you who have made the UK tax beer so much.

I assume you're talking about alcohol (you spelled it alchohole).

I am outraged that you dare compare drugs to alchohole

I really don't see much of a difference between drugs and alcohol. Both substances interfere with mental processes and can become addicting, what makes alcohol any safer then weed? Yes you are constantly breaking down alcohol in your body, but that's not the same as chugging a more concentrated alcohol.

The only difference between beer and drugs is that beer has been traditional for thousands of years thus that holds up in law today.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Somone obviously has not looked into the metabolisim of alchoholes in living things.
Yes it is dengerous in high concentrations, so is water, oxygen, carbon dioxide, glucose and nearly everything our body needs.

Life is exposed to dangerous chemicals 24/7, however it is the extreems which make stuff dangerous. Drinking 1 leter pure ethonal will kill you. Breathing 100% pure oxygen at atmoshperic pressure will kill you. Injecting pure glucose solution into your blood will kill you.

Alchohole tends to come into contact with cells which can repair and replace damage. Drugs on the other hand affect neural tissues. Neural tissues have problems regenerating, especially with older individuals meaning effects can be permanent. As the brain is complex, I admit that there may (chance) be no visible imediate effect after taking them once or twice, but damage will occur and if that damage happens to be something noticable, it will impare you.

Again, I ephisise my alchohole argument is "in moderation". Which for people means that if it is drunk in a controled way so no stupid effects like spinny head, sickness or hangovers occur.

I am ignoring the fact some alchoholes are tainted with methonal due to inferiour production procedures. Methonal is highly dangerous as it is even harder to metabolise than ethonal and has nasty products. Properly distilled or brewed drinks will not contain any methonal.

My granny lived until the age of 99 and drank some wine every day. How many nonmedical drug users take a small ammount of drugs every day and lived until 99 or older?

DSG said:
Drugs on the other hand affect neural tissues. Neural tissues have problems regenerating, especially with older individuals meaning effects can be permanent. As the brain is complex, I admit that there may (chance) be no visible imediate effect after taking them once or twice, but damage will occur and if that damage happens to be something noticable, it will impare you.

Are you saying alcohol doesn't cause brain damage?
And even if it was minor damage (which its not), it would still be a hell of a lot more than the damage (if any) caused by weed.

I honestly can't see someone being for alcohol and against weed. It's ridiculous.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Alchohole does not target neural cells, it is more likly to be damage tissues in your digestion where it is present in highest concentrations. Those tissues do have the ability to cope with mild quantities of the stuff, afterall as we have drunk the stuff for 1000s of years, people have evolved to be more tolerent to ethonal and its mildly dangerous byproducts. Its like the fact that some people can drink cows milk, I would like to remind people that for a lot of mamals (except cows and relations duh) and even the orignal humans (and some of their offspring around today), cow's milk causes a lot of digestive problems.

Nonmedical drugs on the other hand function by targeting neural cells specifically. They are entirly ailien to our bodies metabolisim as well so there exist no processes or very limited processes to break the drugs down meaning they only wear off by diffusion out through the kidneys. The fact that they are highly stable molecules able to survive water treatment is all the evidence I need to back this up (governments tell the drug using population in an area by the concentration of drug chemicals comming out of the water treatment plants). On top of that there has been no evolution towards drug resistance and breakdown and I seriously doubt there will be. These drugs have only appeared in the last 100 odd years (well seriously been used in high concentrations that is) and provide no reproductive advantage (infact the opposite as the offspring are often damaged) so the body has no ability to cope with the chemicals.

A brief recap, enthonal is a natrually occuring product of digestion in your body and through evolution humans have a moderate tolerance towards it. In moderation will cause no damage. Drugs are seriously stable rare organic compounds which your body has no ability to effeciently deal with. Even the slightest quantity can go rampid in your body without any barriers due to no genetic ability to cope with it.

You can not seriouly be telling me they are treated the same can you? Its like teating glucose as a poision cause it can kill people when injected in large dosages into the blood the same as mecuary which is a seriously dangerous metal capable of reacting with a vast number of organic compouds in your body to ruin their function and thus kill you.

They are not even remotly simlar, structuraly, function wise, expulsion wise and danger wise. Your logic is flawed if you keep up your current point of view.

Alchohole needs its own laws which are generated without any confiring with drugs by specialists who are unbiased to ignorant point of views. Drugs and alchoholes are so different, grouping them together is like grouping your pet cat and a lump of ignious rock together (flawed relationship).

Am I lieing? Well I will admit that the mechanics behind both alchohole and drugs is not my speciality and I am going by the little bits I read or heard from my brother. I will however be willing to get information from my brother on the subject who has studied some of it at near a molecular level as part of his degree. I am sure though that the mear fact of how stable and nondegradable drugs are will convert you as that is cold hard proof.

DSG said:
Those tissues do have the ability to cope with mild quantities of the stuff, afterall as we have drunk the stuff for 1000s of years, people have evolved to be more tolerent to ethonal and its mildly dangerous byproducts.

People have been smoking weed longer than people have been drinking alcohol. Far longer.

Level 35
Prove it.

Reliable source please.

Also: I already explained alcohol vs. weed, I hate it when people ignore basic simple truth.

Alcohol also occurs naturally in the body: Lactic Acid has a good bit of connectivity with it.

Red wine is healthy for you in moderate doses (IE: DON"T OVER DOES THE MEDS IDIOT!), weed provides hardly any benefit, and if you really need it for medical purposes, they invented morphine and their equivalents for that.

Weed doesn't quench your thirst, yet in many countries, like Spain, it is basically a more grown up version of 'soda'.

You cannot compare the two, they are for the vast majority of their purposes, different.

"zomgosh you can get drunk, that is totally like getting high maaaan"

Alcohol is a beverage, that has a side effect, it is used as an antiseptic, a drink, and in the case of wine, a cleansing/cooking ingredient, it is imbibed in such a way that it does NOT make you 'high' (drunk...) unless you drink TOO MUCH.

Weed however: "High upon inhalation", until the tolerance builds. Its purpose is, and only is, to get high as far as smoking it goes. As far as cooking with it...no clue...

I'm against it for smoking reasons.

Namely due to the exceedingly inefficient, expensive, and corrupt-greed filled, yet another big-government bureaucracy that would be built up to maintain, regulate, and TAX the stuff, which inevitably will also tax others! We do not need another bureaucracy...

People who think legalising it is going to usher in this new world order of awesome rainbow flavoured peace and love...really need to check the underlying facts, outside of their own pleasure sensors.

PS: Stop talking as if we support alcohol drunkeness, and not weed. I don't support drunkeness anymore than I do weed, infact I am highly disgusted by both.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
People who did not drink alcohole in Europe during the middle ages had a shorter life expctancy than those who did due to increased exposure to unclean water and thus increased risk of fatal water born deseases.

Smoking was a luxary which did not provide a life and death benifit outside of politics which in the scale we are talking and the ages of people we are talking, changed nothing.

Alcohol is a beverage, that has a side effect, it is used as an antiseptic, a drink, and in the case of wine, a cleansing/cooking ingredient, it is imbibed in such a way that it does NOT make you 'high' (drunk...) unless you drink TOO MUCH.

pretty much any kind of alcohol can be used for cooking or for food. sauces can easily be based off beer, a lot of fruit dessert cocktail things are made with spirits, as you mentioned, wine is used a lot

in relation to smoking weed, i HIGHLY doubt that people have been smoking it like this for all that long. medicinal, unrefined drugs such as coca (?) leaf for altitude adjusting and all that, yes, tribal folk remedies and all that kind of thing, but i highly doubt that people have been smoking in joints and dongs for very long

Level 8
Weed is used in food too, seriously, they sell alot of food with weed in Amsterdam for instance.
There is no scientific proof that weed causes brain damage, it can only mess up your lungs, but the same can be said fir cigarettes which are legal, alcohol (strong alcoholo 40% +) even when drunk in moderation wrecks your liver and kidneys.

Level 13
This is the only argument in which I agree with Elenai thus far.

Except I want alcohol and regular cigarettes illegal as well.

Also, imo, if you say weed doesn't screw your mind over, you are narrow-minded. It's quite obvious that it does. I'm not saying alcohol isn't, rather the opposite, I just want you junkies to open your eyes and see that weed and alcohol aren't really that different after all.

Level 9
How does it "screw your mind" over exactly?

Ahem, Marijuana impinges on the central nervous system by attaching to brain's neurons and interfering with normal communication between the neurons. These nerves respond by altering their initial behavior. For example, if a nerve is suppose to assist one in retrieving short-term memory, cannabinoids receptors make them do the opposite. So if one has to remember what he did five minutes ago, after smoking a high dose of marijuana, he has trouble. Marijuana plant contains 400 chemicals and 60 of them are cannabinoids, which are psychoactive compounds that are produced inside the body after cannabis is metabolized or is extorted from the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids is an active ingredient of marijuana. The most psychoactive cannabinoids chemical in marijuana that has the biggest impact on the brain is tetrahydrocannibol, or THC. THC is the main active ingredient in marijuana because it affects the brain by binding to and activating specific receptors, known as cannabinoid receptors. "These receptors control memory, thought, concentration, time and depth, and coordinated movement. THC also affects the production, release or re-uptake (a regulating mechanism) of various neurotransmitters."(2) Neurotransmitters are chemical messenger molecules that carry signals between neurons. Some of these affects are personality disturbances, depression and chronic anxiety. Psychiatrists who treat schizophrenic patient advice them to not use this drug because marijuana can trigger severe mental disturbances and cause a relapse...
Look at the rest for yourself: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1808

Level 13
All these people with their googling skills explain better than I can. <.<

EDIT: Also, I'm unsure of whether it's cannabis that does this, but some weed makes you look like a ghoul.

Status
Not open for further replies.