• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragon Age Inquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
In just a little more than two weeks time the game Dragon Age Inquisition will be released for PC, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3. The game has adopted the Frostbite 3 engine and some clear graphical improvements can be seen. Here's comparing what the character Leliana looks like in Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 compared to Inquisition.

Inquisition:

194049-albums4652-picture91509.png

(She looks really good for being 40+)

Origins:

Leliana_default.png

Dragon Age II

Leliana_da2.png

[/IMG]

For those of you not familiar with the Dragon Age franchise, these are RPG games so for any big RPG fans out there Dragon Age Origins is a must own. (Dragon Age II should be avoided unless you're a hardcore Dragon Age fan.) The games are produced by a company named EA who are famed for other games such as Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect and Icewind Dale.

Dragon Age Inquisition will give you the possibility to choose between 4 different races qunari, elf, dwarf and human as well as three classes mage, warrior and rogue. Depending on your choice you will have very different origin story and unlike Dragon Age Origins your choices will matter throughout the entire game. Depending on race and class you will be trusted or mistrusted by certain groups. More I will not say in order to avoid spoilers.

If you've played any of the former games you're well familiar with the combat systems and Inquisition will let you choose between Origins or DAII's combat system depending on your preferences.

The game will feature 9 companions.

Varic Tethras
Vivienne
Cassandra Pentaghast
Blackwall
Iron Bull
Solas
Sera
Dorian
Cole

As well as three advisors that will hold roles equally important as the companions.

Leliana
Cullen
Josephine Montilyet

Throughout the game you will be given thousands of important and less important decisions that affects the outcome of the story as well as what your companions and advisors think of you. If your companions hate you to much they will leave the Inquisition and if they like you enough they'll aid you even further in your quests.

Gameplay video:

What do you think of Dragon Age Inquisition, do you think it will be good or do you believe it will be a disappointment like Dragon Age II?

I for one believe this will be a great game as they took more than 3,5 years time to develop it and not less than 1,5 as they did with Dragon Age II. I am very pleased to see how far you can customize your keep as they've promised us a lot of customization. I am also glad to be rejoined with Leliana again after 5 years and I hope she'll speak a lot of the Hero of Ferelden especially if you romanced her.

If you have any review you want to share that uses footage that is not included in any of the trailers at Dragon Age's official youtube channel please post them in a
tag with the title spoilers included. Thank you in advance if you are respectful of this.

Last edited:
Level 28
I. CANNOT. WAIT. Despite the hate DAII gets, I still think that it is a good game and should still be played by RPG gamers out there who are bored of mediocore type RPGs with the same gameplay and plot. DAII is still unique on its own way although it should not be compared with Origins.

Anyway, my expectations for Inquisition is so high I cannot get it back anymore. And Qunari all the way. I was so freaking disappointed on DAII when we didn't get a Qunari companion when they're on your fucking face the entire time.

Level 24
I. CANNOT. WAIT. Despite the hate DAII gets, I still think that it is a good game and should still be played by RPG gamers out there who are bored of mediocore type RPGs with the same gameplay and plot. DAII is still unique on its own way although it should not be compared with Origins.

I agree with you somewhat, if you've played Origins and loved it Dragon Age II will definitely be a good game. If it's your first look on the franchise however and you bought it for full price when it came out you will probably not buy another game. It was good but definitely not worth 600 Swedish crowns (67 euro(95$)).

Anyway, my expectations for Inquisition is so high I cannot get it back anymore. And Qunari all the way. I was so freaking disappointed on DAII when we didn't get a Qunari companion when they're on your fucking face the entire time.

I myself am going to go for the female dalish first first as I've always wanted to play as a dalish mage and especially now that you can decorate your keep after dalish fashion. My choice of gender is because one of the female voice actors are Alix Wilton Reagan who made the voice for Samantha Traynor in Mass Effect 3. I only wish Jennifer Hale made the voice she's one of the most epic voice actors ever, but Bioware probably didn't want the Inquisitor and Commander Shepard to have the same voice actors. I'd also liked the woman who made the voice for the female demon hunter in Diablo III, the way she spoke she intimidated me in about 5 seconds.

Anyhow I hope you've checked out this website. https://dragonagekeep.com

Level 24
I liked that in the first DA you had more choices that did actually matter and second one was too easy compared to first part, and somewhat simpler too.

As said they put less than 1,5 years into developing Dragon Age 2 so much like the story, the combat, the graphics and other parts of the game was compromised. If you're speaking of gameplay difficulty I can safely say it got a lot harder especially on the higher levels as opponents just randomly appeared. They did make the AI smarter which was good considering how lousy it was in Origins.

Level 34
They streamlined DAII, which is becoming more and more common as they move RPGs to the console (looking at you Diablo). Hopefully the complexity and more strategic combat s back in this game.

Level 24
Hopefully the complexity and more strategic combat s back in this game.

If you take a look at the gameplay video i showed on my first post or the ones put up on dragon age's youtube page it undeniably is. Health will apparently not automatically regenerate so get a healer.

Level 15
I have to say, I'm feeling better and better about this as time goes on and more and more information/gameplay is released. Granted, nothing can compare to actual first-hand experience from a large body of actual gamers, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

I was a huge fan of DA:O, and it still remains one of my favorite games of the last few years. But after DA2 and ME3, my hopes for Bioware producing anything that lives up to my expectations are pretty low. I hope they can disappoint me.

There seems to be a lot of good going for this game. But again, I'm still cautious about it. I definitely won't pre-order, but I may buy a few days after launch if the initial impressions are positive.

Level 16
It is certainly going to be a time killer that much I can say for certain, some reviews have already came out speaking about how it takes about eighty five hours or so to do all the major things in the game.

Either way though long as it is not majorly buggy and plays as good as it looks I will be one content lad. Hopefully Bioware is bringing back their magic.

Level 16
I read somewhere that the game is otherwise good but it doesn't need any strategies.

So in other words sadly it's gonna be something like Dragon Age 2.

I don't know about that one, even if it does have not have any strategies it still is far more of an open world than Dragon Age 2 not to mention far more to the story-line and the like. Though at this rate we will simply have to wait and see.

Level 24
I read somewhere that the game is otherwise good but it doesn't need any strategies.

So in other words sadly it's gonna be something like Dragon Age 2.

I don't know where you've read that, please give me a link. But as far as I've heard the game is even more strategic now as healing spells have been completely removed from the game. And I would say that the problem with the DA2 difficulty was that enemies just randomly teleported in from nowhere.

Level 16
I don't know where you've read that, please give me a link. But as far as I've heard the game is even more strategic now as healing spells have been completely removed from the game. And I would say that the problem with the DA2 difficulty was that enemies just randomly teleported in from nowhere.

Not to mention they are also throwing in the fact you have a limited number of health potions throughout the party similar to Dark Souls's Estus flasks, that is a feature I applaud as I always enjoyed Dark Souls but even such a feature as that no doubt will offer some difficulty to Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Level 24
Not to mention they are also throwing in the fact you have a limited number of health potions throughout the party similar to Dark Souls's Estus flasks, that is a feature I applaud as I always enjoyed Dark Souls but even such a feature as that no doubt will offer some difficulty to Dragon Age: Inquisition.

It definitely adds a new layer of strategy to Dragon Age I'm going to play on Nightmare as soon as I've beaten the game once and found out what happened to Loghain and all other of my favorite characters.

Level 16
Oh yes, I will likely start on Nightmare for I have been enjoying the whipping I have been getting from Dark Souls 1 & 2 lately so I have been craving more deep pain and suffering.

Level 15
From what I've seen and read, it sounds as if they learned their lesson with DA2 and have made great strides to make this a proper Dragon Age game worthy of the title. The removal of healing spells can turn out to be either a good thing, or a very, very bad thing. Really, it depends on how they've compensated for it.

1) Either they've designed a system that accounts for the limit of health pots/no healing spells and have provided adequate measures that allow the player to cope and compensate for it, thus adding a measure of additional depth.

or

2) They just flat out made the game easier, to the point where it doesn't matter whether or not you use pots or spells, because you don't even need them.

I'm hoping it's the first one, as I've always been intrigued by games that try to approach things from a different angle, rather than rely on the trinity of Tank, DPS and healer.

Also, the designers have remarked that this game is far larger than DA:O, so therefore it's going to be much, much, much larger than DA2 ever was.

This game is looking promising for sure.

(If anyone is wondering, you can get the game for $45 on GMG if you use their free 25% off voucher you receive by linking your GMG/Playfire account to your Steam account.)

Level 24
Tanks do seem to have been compensated by being able to take more damage, the two other classes however seem very squishy, more so than usual even. You're going to have to use potions it seems that if you play like an intellectual entity you wont have to use them in every fight.

Level 16
It also seems that this one you will have to actually switch between party members and have some real control over the group in each encounter instead of just sticking to one single character and hoping for the best.

Level 37

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dragon-age-inquisition-review/1900-6415949/

The Good

- Wonderful cast of interesting and relatable characters
- Overarching narrative and diverse environments create a cohesive world
- Choices that lead to adventure, triumph, and heartbreak Lots of big areas to explore, with lots of great secrets to uncover
- Fantastic balance between exploration, combat, story, and customization

The Bad

-Combat requires relatively little strategy

Level 24
I'll have to agree I'm waiting until Jesse and TB gets to review it later tonight. The person who has played Assassins Creed Unity on PC knows it's not worth a 7/10, the problems with that game were through the roof.

Level 15
Yeah, it will be nice to see what some community reviewers think of the game. However, I am very optimistic as to how it's going to turn out. The fact that they lifted the review embargo a full week before launch speaks volumes about how confident they are in this game.

In contrast, Ubisoft didn't even let reviewers release reviews until 12 hours AFTER the game had been released, and look at how much of a mess Unity is.

Talk about a stark contrast between the two.

Level 24
Yes, the game however does not currently work for Nvidia cards and it will be updated to work on the 18th. As I run on a Nvidia card I really hope they fix it and that it doesn't end up being a fu**up at launch like Skyrim. But the game isn't released in Europe until the 21st so I'll have 3 days to find out.

Level 15
Yes, the game however does not currently work for Nvidia cards and it will be updated to work on the 18th. As I run on a Nvidia card I really hope they fix it and that it doesn't end up being a fu**up at launch like Skyrim. But the game isn't released in Europe until the 21st so I'll have 3 days to find out.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It doesn't work on nVidia cards? I am pretty active on a very dedicated Hardware Enthusiast website, so I would have heard all sorts of stuff about that if news like that ever dropped. Where did you hear that? I'm definitely interested in reading about it.

Level 24
I heard it on the latest episode of the Co-Optional Podcast that was broadcasted live yesterday. It usually goes up on the Polaris youtube channel every Friday. If it's true or not I cannot vouch for.

Level 15
I heard it on the latest episode of the Co-Optional Podcast that was broadcasted live yesterday. It usually goes up on the Polaris youtube channel every Friday. If it's true or not I cannot vouch for.

It uses the exact same engine as Battlefield 4, so it would be very strange if it didn't work on nVidia cards at all. We're to a point where releasing a game in a state where an entire brand of video cards won't work simply isn't acceptable, so I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue.

Level 24
One thing I'll sure miss is the background for the inventory, the journal, quests and codex. It used to be a worn out paper but now it looks like a computer screen which I suppose is fine for Mass Effect but it does not fit Dragon Age.

One thing I'll sure miss is the background for the inventory, the journal, quests and codex. It used to be a worn out paper but now it looks like a computer screen which I suppose is fine for Mass Effect but it does not fit Dragon Age.

I agree, Origins interface was way much in-theme and looked incredible. Inquisition lacks a good interface, I hope "mods" will fix this.

Level 24
I'm not really bothered, the only mod I ever used for Origins was More Hairstyles and Inquisition has enough awesome hairstyles of its own.

Level 16
I modded Origins only for the mod that gives all the Grey Warden's their armor from the second one. It really bugged me when I switched to Origins after playing the second one.

Level 24
Usually I buy games of the internet as I can use dollars often resulting in the game getting cheaper but through Origins I must use Swedish crowns which means it costs equally as much for the physical and digital copy. Hence there is no reason not to buy the physical copy.

Level 15
Usually I buy games of the internet as I can use dollars often resulting in the game getting cheaper but through Origins I must use Swedish crowns which means it costs equally as much for the physical and digital copy. Hence there is no reason not to buy the physical copy.

I know a ton of people that use a Mexican proxy, which allows them to purchase games using the Mexican Origin storefront, which allows you to buy games for about $15 to $20 cheaper (at least, in US dollars, but that's a pretty good amount of savings).

Also, you could try Greenmangaming.com. They often hand out 25% off vouchers, so you could try purchasing it through there. That's how I got it for 25% off.

Edit: It's been confirmed that this game uses Denuvo DRM, which is from the same guys that made SecuROM. I am not happy about it at all, especially since I've already bought it. Here's to hoping it doesn't cause any issues.

Last edited:
Level 24
Dragon Age Inquisition comes out tommorow in the U.S and in 4 days for all Europeans, therefore I just want to make one thing as clear as possible.

Unless they're in spoiler tags do not post spoilers here!

If you have any review you want to share that uses footage that is not included in any of the trailers at Dragon Age's official youtube channel please post them in a
tag with the title spoilers included. Thank you in advance if you are respectful of this.

If you do not know how to use
tags here's an example, just quote my message to see how it's written. (Gameplay spoiler only, no story spoiler what so ever in the video below)

Level 34
No heals is a huge deal in my opinion. I'm going in with an open mind, but my first reaction was to think that it was an awful idea, and I still think it will be, but here's hoping it will surprise me.

Regardless, I'll get the game when it goes on sale. Small chance I wait for GOTY edition, but due to multiplayer, I'll probably get it when my friends do.

Level 15
Okay: First impression is that this game is completely living up to my expectations so far. I've only been able to play about 2 hours, but I've loved every second of it.

The screenshots don't do this game justice, it really is pretty good looking. I'm running it on a mix of High/Ultra with no MSAA, and it still looks great. I can't imagine what it looks like with Tessellation, MSAA, textures and HBAO all set to their highest settings.

Level 24
The game has gotten solid scores around the board so I wouldn't set myself up for disappointment. When the game comes out I'll play as a Dalish first which class and race will you choose?

I was so excited for this game. Then, when my weakling internet managed to download it, I launch it and then... black screen. I've looked for a fix but apparently this problem is common with people who have dual cores without hyperthreading (heck, even people with 4 cores are having problems). Why a game NEEDS 4 cores to run in the first place is beyond me, but as a PSA, DO NO BUY DRAGON AGE INQUISITION IF YOU HAVE A DUAL CORE COMPUTER. You might not be able to play it at all.

What's worse is that Bioware doesn't seem to really care about patching the game to run on 2 cores. Which is weird because despite the minimum specs (4 cores, which is bollocks imo) some people with dual cores have been able to play the game.

Any fix I've tried have failed to fix the issue. Right now I paid 70USD for a poster in my Origin account.

Well, check the requirements before you buy a game. Kinda your fault man.
I'd argue that it isn't since some people with dual cores are playing the game, so clearly Bioware mislabelled their minimum req. Also, what game needs 4 cores to play? Inquisition is legit the first one I heard of. Even shoddy games like AC Unity don't have that bizarre problem, and AC Unity is rife with problems. This is just terrible optimization, and kind of a douchey move by Bioware because they basically made their game elitist by forcing you to spend money to get FOUR cores.

I call bullshit on Bioware. Fix your damn game before blaming in on the requirements. It's just lazy since they just assume that the problem HAS to be core-related because they have some phony minimum spec req. I mean ffs, you can't even get to the frikkin MENU screen! Being below minimum req means you get low framerates, it doesn't mean you get a black screen to stare at.

PS: some people who have comps above the minimum req are also getting this problem. So again, bollocks.

I'd argue that it isn't since some people with dual cores are playing the game, so clearly Bioware mislabelled their minimum req. Also, what game needs 4 cores to play? Inquisition is legit the first one I heard of. Even shoddy games like AC Unity don't have that bizarre problem, and AC Unity is rife with problems. This is just terrible optimization, and kind of a douchey move by Bioware because they basically made their game elitist by forcing you to spend money to get FOUR cores.

I call bullshit on Bioware. Fix your damn game before blaming in on the requirements. It's just lazy since they just assume that the problem HAS to be core-related because they have some phony minimum spec req. I mean ffs, you can't even get to the frikkin MENU screen! Being below minimum req means you get low framerates, it doesn't mean you get a black screen to stare at.

PS: some people who have comps above the minimum req are also getting this problem. So again, bollocks.

As someone said, please read the requirements and do your research before you actually buy a computer game. Here is an online tool to determine your computer capabilities and requirements for games.

It is your own fault.

It's would be if I'm complaining that the game is laggy. I'm not. The game doesn't even run. NO GAME NEEDS 4 CORE TO GET INSIDE THE MENU. I should be able to play the game even if it has low framerates. As it stands right now, it flat out doesn't run. This is just bad optimisation, therefore a bad product.

Like I also said, some people WITH dual cores are able to play the game. Why the quad core req then? Like I also also said, some people WITH quad cores are having problems with the game, so I guess i'll revise my previous PSA and just warn people to just avoid the game regardless of how good your computer is until Bioware patches it.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNTIL THEY PATCH IT.

PS: I should mention that I am in the process of acquiring a new rig, which is why I preordered the game in the first place. Since my new computer is being held hostage at customs right now because I live in a cesspool of bureaucratic nightmare, I figured I'd give the game a bash and at least create my Inquisitor. BUT since Bioware did a shit job at testing their own game, that's not going to happen. As I pointed out above, those minimum reqs are bullshit.

If the game doesn't run on my new computer, I'm getting a refund.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Banned In India For Being Too Gay

Dragon Age: Inquisition, one of the best reviewed games in recent memory, arrives on Tuesday, November 18. But gamers in India won't be able to take part after game publisher Electronic Arts canceled pre-orders of the gay friendly game due to the regions anti-LGBT culture.

"In order to avoid a breach of local content laws, EA has withdrawn Dragon Age: Inquisition from sale in India and the game is no longer available for pre-order. Customers who pre-ordered the game will be contacted directly and will be fully refunded." - EA

Looks like the Indian gamers will not be able to purchase the game nor play it.
The next question is: will they cancel the game in Russia?

More information ...

Level 34
It's would be if I'm complaining that the game is laggy. I'm not. The game doesn't even run. NO GAME NEEDS 4 CORE TO GET INSIDE THE MENU. I should be able to play the game even if it has low framerates. As it stands right now, it flat out doesn't run. This is just bad optimisation, therefore a bad product.

Like I also said, some people WITH dual cores are able to play the game. Why the quad core req then? Like I also also said, some people WITH quad cores are having problems with the game, so I guess i'll revise my previous PSA and just warn people to just avoid the game regardless of how good your computer is until Bioware patches it.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNTIL THEY PATCH IT.

PS: I should mention that I am in the process of acquiring a new rig, which is why I preordered the game in the first place. Since my new computer is being held hostage at customs right now because I live in a cesspool of bureaucratic nightmare, I figured I'd give the game a bash and at least create my Inquisitor. BUT since Bioware did a shit job at testing their own game, that's not going to happen. As I pointed out above, those minimum reqs are bullshit.

If the game doesn't run on my new computer, I'm getting a refund.
Game runs fine for everyone I know. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble, but you're overacting. Shit like this happens for every game. I've had games not work for me before, and you just have to be patient while it's resolved, or a fix is found. Check EA forums for threads related and watch them for a staff member to find a fix.

For example: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/143903-steam-version-of-dao-not-starting/

Keep looking for more threads. They will continue to come out for as long as people play the game. Because computers fuck up, and people have to fix things all the time.

Yes, it sucks. But there's nothing we can do about it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.