• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DotA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
People who hate DotA are just jealous that they will never have a map as popular.
Especially on this site. The more you play the game, the more you realize how well balanced it is, which is true of 90% of games. (Starcraft is THE perfect example). If you play the game even 20 times, your not capable of judging its balance. The competitive scene clearly reinforces that it's a pretty well balanced map. It's practically an E-Sport! To say it requires no teamwork is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The whole game is about ganking which at least to me and any sane person is TEAMWORK. You have heroes with different roles that are all very important and perform different functions.

Honestly, if you really want credit for something, don't post it on the internet. BTW, Icey does actually have a lot of people named in credits, but you wouldn't take the time to look and you would rather go off some stupid DotA haters word.

DotA is the most balanced map that requires a lot of teamwork and has tons of replay value. The sheer amount of heroes does give it a lot of replay value for those who play it. The coding is getting better, but that doesn't really matter nearly as much as the gameplay. It has really good gameplay except a few of the primary concepts like *DENYING*. Seeing a holy priest kill his own troops is retarded, but I figure DotA has so much stuff in it, you can't really try to fit themes together in it. Naga wearing boots is funny! XD

Anyways, DotA is the best game on Battle.net. I've never been a shown a map of greater of even equal level.

The one thing I will give you though is it does have TOO MUCH CONTENT. There are a lot of heroes that are similar to others and are usually strictly out classed by another. Ice Frog recently though has been remaking heroes and doing an excellent job as well so I think he's trying to limit the amount of new things he adds unless they are excellent. (Storm Spirit sucked at first and should never have been added)

Level 27
Because the whole thing has grown out of proportion, and the community is filled with idiots.

The terrain is awful, there is a new version released every 5 seconds, banlists suck, SEVERAL of the Heroes are imbalanced, the abilities are often times ripoffs from better maps.

That is not to say there aren't good things about it too. It's not a terrible map (or else it wouldn't be so popular), it's just definitely not the best that is out on b.net.

People need something common. Before it was ladder, but it isn't updated updated often enough anymore. Now people have dota. It's updated often which makes it interesting and unique.

However, some people like me have never liked that style of game where you just fuck between the base and the next tower.

It's like CSS, some like it, some does not. And some does take it way too far.

A summary of the truth.

I hate people like you who want to convince others that DotA isn't a bad map when they say it sucks, some people don't like trends.. me for example.. i don't want to play something everyone on the whole damn world is already playing and certainly not something like A MAP IN A GAME, ITS A FUCKING MAP IN A GAME!!!!! NOT A WHOLE DAMN STAND-ALONE SOMETHING LOL!!!!!!!!!!

That's it.

Level 4
Omg PurplePoot do you realy think that dota has no complex code?
And one more thing where is guinsoo now? oeo? Why icefrog continues the development of dota and guinsoo does not?

Level 4
This thread is inflitrated by people who keep repeating themselves and I'm tired to answer the same thing over and over.

1. Breathtaking Terrain is not needed for an AOS game. Also varied terrain causes big file size.

2. ICEFROG AND DOTA ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR RETARDS AND FLAMERS OMG !

And you guys that keep on saying about a poor map, you probably haven't payed latest versions of Dota. I figured it out. Dota has a complete change to terrain, heroes, spells, systems and various balances. It's a whole new map the 6.5* series. Wait till you see version 6.60 come out. And if icefrog didn't take on Dota from it's previous primitive stage this thread would not exist, because he deticaded his life to make such a amazing map the REVOLUTED Warcraft 3 as i said.

Dreadnought[dA];1097419 said:
People who hate DotA are just jealous that they will never have a map as popular.
Especially on this site. The more you play the game, the more you realize how well balanced it is, which is true of 90% of games. (Starcraft is THE perfect example). If you play the game even 20 times, your not capable of judging its balance. The competitive scene clearly reinforces that it's a pretty well balanced map. It's practically an E-Sport! To say it requires no teamwork is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The whole game is about ganking which at least to me and any sane person is TEAMWORK. You have heroes with different roles that are all very important and perform different functions.

Honestly, if you really want credit for something, don't post it on the internet. BTW, Icey does actually have a lot of people named in credits, but you wouldn't take the time to look and you would rather go off some stupid DotA haters word.

DotA is the most balanced map that requires a lot of teamwork and has tons of replay value. The sheer amount of heroes does give it a lot of replay value for those who play it. The coding is getting better, but that doesn't really matter nearly as much as the gameplay. It has really good gameplay except a few of the primary concepts like *DENYING*. Seeing a holy priest kill his own troops is retarded, but I figure DotA has so much stuff in it, you can't really try to fit themes together in it. Naga wearing boots is funny! XD

Anyways, DotA is the best game on Battle.net. I've never been a shown a map of greater of even equal level.

The one thing I will give you though is it does have TOO MUCH CONTENT. There are a lot of heroes that are similar to others and are usually strictly out classed by another. Ice Frog recently though has been remaking heroes and doing an excellent job as well so I think he's trying to limit the amount of new things he adds unless they are excellent. (Storm Spirit sucked at first and should never have been added)

100% Agree. Thank you !

And I think he told the truth "People who hate DotA are just jealous that they will never have a map as popular" . Even if they don't realize it they feel hostile about the map because they will never make a map that will have such a affect as Dota. That's why all those "I hate Dota" communities...

Level 24
br_shadow when you make a discussion thread about dota expect to get heavy arguments and repeated answers.
Also before making any thread, DO SOME RESEARCH and be more open about other peoples opinions.

Remend said:
And one more thing where is guinsoo now? oeo? Why icefrog continues the development of dota and guinsoo does not?
If you even did some research you would know that Guinsoo is working on League of Legends. You would also know that Icefrog was the first to work on DotA if you would've done some research.

Remend said:
Omg PurplePoot do you realy think that dota has no complex code?
Theres alot more maps that got far more complex scripting then DotA, i could probably name alot of maps.

br_shadow said:
And I think he told the truth "People who hate DotA are just jealous that they will never have a map as popular" . Even if they don't realize it they feel hostile about the map because they will never make a map that will have such a affect as Dota. That's why all those "I hate Dota" communities...
I rather think its because mapmakers are more aware of all the flaws about DotA and how it could've been a much better map with a few changes.

Level 10
Can anyone explain me why so many people hate dota ? Give me a clue here because I think DotA is the best map ever created when it comes to:

1. Systems

2. Balance

3. Multiplayer

4. Fun

And also i think that if DotA didn't exist 75% of the people from battle.net would not exist.
Multiplayer? I hate multiplayer! Campaigns are best!
And something for end: Why we must like DotA? If you like it, why should we like it? We hate it. Over. end discussion. This leads to nothing but to negative rep to all us!

Level 6
DotA is a map with great gameplay and needs good teamwork in each team to win the game. With 90 (and maybe over in next update) heroes to choose and have their own roles to play, and limitless to play with them because many items in the game.

To people who hates DotA, is people who hates AoS map. Unless, you just jealous of DotA popularity. And for people who hates DotA because the popularity is more than Warcraft itself, its weird...and it just make all mapmakers will get his map bad, because his map popularity...

Level 10
DoE, AotZ and ToB far outclass DotA in my personal opinion. You don't need 90 heroes to have originality or re-playability.

And, just one random tidbit, to the people who are saying that every hero is or can be good:
Can you honestly, truthfully tell me that you have or have seen somebody else playing as each of the other heroes? Every single one of them?
And on a side note, when you saw certain heroes crop up, did it actually make any difference to how the other people around them played? Was each hero unique enough to make people react?

That's all for now.

Level 15
DoE, AotZ and ToB far outclass DotA in my personal opinion. You don't need 90 heroes to have originality or re-playability.

And, just one random tidbit, to the people who are saying that every hero is or can be good:
Can you honestly, truthfully tell me that you have or have seen somebody else playing as each of the other heroes? Every single one of them?
And on a side note, when you saw certain heroes crop up, did it actually make any difference to how the other people around them played? Was each hero unique enough to make people react?

That's all for now.

K, ToB sucked, DoE was like, join, kill everyone, massive leavers (like Age of Myths), and AotZ is the same damn thing as DoE as far as I care.

And yes, I hardly find myself replaying the same hero. It's not like it's fun to play Drow Ranger every game, right-click Frost Arrows, kite, and get easy kills.

IceFrog did not make the map, nor did he steal it. When Guinsoo finished his production of it (he had to quit because he was so bad lol) he leaked out public versions (much like the guy before Guinsoo). This is why for so long there were a bunch of different DotA variations (to name a few, DotA Allstars, DotA Legends, DotA Supreme, etc.)

Level 16
How you all mean that terrain sucks? It has a lot gank positions and secret paths, all of those improve gameplay. It doesnt need to be a terrain with 9001 doodads that make your fps drop to 10.
Yeah as I said also, the terrain is good for gameplay, but its not visually. Most people dont care cause they dont really look at the scenery but it wouldnt hurt to let a good terrainer sorten things out a bit.

Level 4
Multiplayer? I hate multiplayer! Campaigns are best!
And something for end: Why we must like DotA? If you like it, why should we like it? We hate it. Over. end discussion. This leads to nothing but to negative rep to all us!

Very helpful answer, you outnumbered my points one by one.... lol

That's all for now.

If these maps outclassed Dota people would play them .. Right ????

br_shadow when you make a discussion thread about dota expect to get heavy arguments and repeated answers.
Also before making any thread, DO SOME RESEARCH and be more open about other peoples opinions.

If you even did some research you would know that Guinsoo is working on League of Legends. You would also know that Icefrog was the first to work on DotA if you would've done some research.

Theres alot more maps that got far more complex scripting then DotA, i could probably name alot of maps.

I rather think its because mapmakers are more aware of all the flaws about DotA and how it could've been a much better map with a few changes.

As i said i started this thread so the conversation can start from the begining and be invlvolved in the conversation from the beggining not the end. And also can you name me some maps that have more system complex from Dota ? I would be glad to see them. And don't tell me some huge rpgs.. Cinematics and dialogs do not count as system triggers. Have you bothered to open dota ? There is not even one unit or spell inside. Everything is made right that moment, from triggers. Dota has flaws that's sure, that's why Icefrog works hard and releases new versions so quikly to improve the map.

Level 4

Just answer the question because you are the only one who makes researches here ok? Ah and one more thing Caps Lock Off pls.

I'm startin to think that Br_Shadow is an idiot. He's making it seem more like he's preaching 'OMGOMGOMG DOTA RULZ!!1!', rather than discuss why the majority of the Hive's intelligent members hate it.

Who the hell cares if there're 90 heroes in a shit game? Rate all the heroes, as a whole. Why waste space on 90 heroes if players hate 80 of them? You could use the extra space to make your own, unique abilities for the remaining heroes, and add much more aesthetics to the game, such as wieldable weaponry and armor, more spell effect and better terrain, obviously.

It doesn't matter if the game is fast-paced, I always have time to look at the battlefield, and seeing such horrible terrain degrades the experience for me. DotA's terrain will always be sub-standard, no matter what IceFrog does to it, so there's no need to discuss it further.

The community isn't even worth acknowledging, it's worse than 'RuneScape'. Much worse.

Br_Shadow, I don't give a shit how much you like DotA, it has far too many negative traits to be a good map.

Level 15
Pardon my French, but shut the fuck up about the community. Name one fucking internet meme or game that doesn't have a shit-hole community. If you give people the means to communicate without ever meeting or seeing someone, they're going to be douche bags.

I couldnt live in a community where would be no flaming or retards. And Fiesta is some kind of anime mmorpg so what you except? They are al gays, so ofcourse its "friendly" community.

That's the first reason I quit playing the game, though I did manage to get one of the cities into a huge argument with the 'shout' function before I quit.

Level 24
And also can you name me some maps that have more system complex from Dota ?
Elimination Tournament, Mad Balls Arena, TCX, Desert of Exile, Age of Myths, Soulchess, actually you can just search the whole wc3c.net map list: link.

Have you bothered to open dota ? There is not even one unit or spell inside. Everything is made right that moment, from triggers.
Yes i have a deprotected version and yes i've looked into it. The reason why there isnt even a single unit or spell inside is because the map is deprotected. If you deprotect a map it means that all triggers get merged into one single JASS script aswell as the data on all of the objects placed on the map get merged into the script.

Dota has flaws that's sure, that's why Icefrog works hard and releases new versions so quikly to improve the map.
Yet no matter how many versions there are theres still flaws eh?

Ah and one more thing Caps Lock Off pls.
Im using caps lock emphasize that its stupid to create a new thread, before doing any research. If your not carefull enough you might even offend people.

I'm startin to think that Br_Shadow is an idiot.
I'd second that

Level 15
Uh.. hello, one webmaster of a War3 modding site has a policy of banning anybody who would start a topic about DoTA... please don't redirect rage to me though, I'm not trying to be witty or anything, I just don't want people falling to a ban-trap or neg-rep trap not that its a trolling trap on purpose but I don't want people falling for it anyways... basically I'd like to share some drinks to everyone and chill, plus maybe cookies perhaps?

Level 12
SRSLY, I personally don't think I have played any other more fun maps than dota.

Sure, once in a while good maps pop up such as castle fight, avatar arena, X hero siege and other stuff.

If I were to rate a map I wouldn't give a fuck about coding, terrain or whatever, as long as it doesn't leak/crash my game.

What matters is that it's fun, and that's the whole purpose why blizzard even gave us the world editor.

Dota is the jonas brothers equivalent of warcraft 3. Many people like it, many people dislike it.

Ultimately, it's your choice, it's a wc3 map : O

Level 4
Everyone who thinks that others are idiots is advised to judge himself first.

Last edited:
Level 4
I'm startin to think that Br_Shadow is an idiot. He's making it seem more like he's preaching 'OMGOMGOMG DOTA RULZ!!1!', rather than discuss why the majority of the Hive's intelligent members hate it.

Who the hell cares if there're 90 heroes in a shit game? Rate all the heroes, as a whole. Why waste space on 90 heroes if players hate 80 of them? You could use the extra space to make your own, unique abilities for the remaining heroes, and add much more aesthetics to the game, such as wieldable weaponry and armor, more spell effect and better terrain, obviously.

It doesn't matter if the game is fast-paced, I always have time to look at the battlefield, and seeing such horrible terrain degrades the experience for me. DotA's terrain will always be sub-standard, no matter what IceFrog does to it, so there's no need to discuss it further.

The community isn't even worth acknowledging, it's worse than 'RuneScape'. Much worse.

Br_Shadow, I don't give a shit how much you like DotA, it has far too many negative traits to be a good map.

Wow, you all "INTELIGENT" (roflmao) members complain about flaming yet you start flaming me. And don't tell me idiot is not flaming.. you can't write bad flaming from the begging so you easy it in...

First of all Dota is not a shit game, its the most popular game in warcraft ever created and no map will ever reach its popularity and greatness, it has a huge variety in custom spells with many effects that make the game fun, light and very enjoyable. The terrain is just fine, it has the same variety as most maps.

Elimination Tournament, Mad Balls Arena, TCX, Desert of Exile, Age of Myths, Soulchess, actually you can just search the whole wc3c.net map list: link.

Yet no matter how many versions there are theres still flaws eh?

I'd second that

Where are all these maps? I haven't seen even one hosted on battle.net. Maybe randomly they do. And more complicated than dota ? I don't think so. Take a look at all the dota ACTIVE player commands ( not including the passive systems that work in the background that probably are a lot more)
DotA Game Modes : BorkWeb.

Wow mister perfect ! Your maps that you make and you play have no bugs right ? You are inhuman sorry. Icefrog is just a human that tries to correct the bugs in such a huge system map. Your maps with millions of triggers gave no bug. And as for the flaming of calling me an idiot,you must be in the "Intelligent" hive members too. Next time if you can't find something to step onto don't call me idiot, because I answer everything here politely and with arguments.

Indeed, why the fuck do you care.

We don't like it, you like it. Oh how fun, now move on.

You move on. I came here to discuss about this subject, if you don't like it leave.

Uh.. hello, one webmaster of a War3 modding site has a policy of banning anybody who would start a topic about DoTA... please don't redirect rage to me though, I'm not trying to be witty or anything, I just don't want people falling to a ban-trap or neg-rep trap not that its a trolling trap on purpose but I don't want people falling for it anyways... basically I'd like to share some drinks to everyone and chill, plus maybe cookies perhaps?

Well if some guys start flame in the discussion because they cant back up what they say ban them not the thread creator. I discss politely and calmly everything here. I started this thread to learn why some people hate dota and they started calling me stupid. But in fact they started calling me idiot because I told them the truth that they can't bear, that Dota will always be better and more popular than their maps, and every map.

Level 12
DotA is a pair of little, homosexual boys?

Not necessarily, the comparison here is that somehow, due to luck or some other factor it got damn popular, and there are many people who like it and at the same time, there are many others who dislike it. It doesn't matter whether they are little homosexual boys or not.

On a seperate note, I doubt so ;)

Level 4
Man you've just came here, there have been so many fucking threads about this and you claim ''discussing'' it while you can be sure that there won't any conclussions or anything usefull of outcome so leave this subject be.

Well i shall repeat myself " I'm talking here. As I said if you don't like this thread LEAVE.". The forums are for discussing, and if so many replies exist it means that the subject is not closes. If you don't want to discuss here any more or see the replies here just don't click it.

Level 24
Wow mister perfect ! Your maps that you make and you play have no bugs right ? You are inhuman sorry. Icefrog is just a human that tries to correct the bugs in such a huge system map. Your maps with millions of triggers gave no bug.
Flaws and bugs arent the same.

The reason why i think your an idiot is that all you do is try to defend DotA instead of listning to the people writing in the thread. Most of the people around from mapmaking community know alot more about the topic then you do and still you just ignore the fact that they got better arguments then you.

The way i understand it the reason why theres alot of people who play DotA is because a big majority of the players cant afford expensive computers that can run better games then wc3/dota. That might be the reason why theres alot of DotA communities in around middle/south europe (Im not saying the countries are poor).

Level 5

I can haz cookies :D?
br_shadow: I dont like DoTA because of teh ripped stuff.
NUFF SAID!

Level 4
Flaws and bugs arent the same.

The reason why i think your an idiot is that all you do is try to defend DotA instead of listning to the people writing in the thread. Most of the people around from mapmaking community know alot more about the topic then you do and still you just ignore the fact that they got better arguments then you.

The way i understand it the reason why theres alot of people who play DotA is because a big majority of the players cant afford expensive computers that can run better games then wc3/dota. That might be the reason why theres alot of DotA communities in around middle/south europe (Im not saying the countries are poor).

Well, i try to defend dota because you say dota is a sh*t map ( and don't tell me this hasn't been posted here because i can quote the comment). There are many people here that defend Dota too and belong to mapmaking community. Also who again has better arguements than me ? The guys that told one hundred times about Dota's terrain and the flamming communities ? I'm tired to reply to those posts... If those posts weren't written this thread would only have 3 pages...

And about the bad pc that people "resort" to dota as you say... I know many people who own latest tchnology pc's and just bought the frozen throne for dota. If dota wasn't such an anjoyable map it wouldn't have 10+ million players just having nothing better to play.

Level 24
Well, i try to defend dota because you say dota is a sh*t map ( and don't tell me this hasn't been posted here because i can quote the comment).
I never said DotA was a shit map, i actually play it myself a bit, but find it too boring most of the time.
The heroes are just boring apart from 10 of them.

There are many people here that defend Dota too and belong to mapmaking community.
Or maybe they are discussing while being open for other opinions?

Also who again has better arguements than me ? The guys that told one hundred times about Dota's terrain and the flamming communities ?
They had better arguments and most of them were pretty solid if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.