• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DotA Allstars v6.53

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Keywords:
DotA
Contents

DotA Allstars v6.53 (Map)

Reviews
20:27, 10th Jul 2008 Ash: Due to an 'database error', we'd lost this map. Thus it's been re-uploaded and I've applied one of my reviews. 'Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is the product of a map maker that goes by the name of 'IceFrog'. In the map...

M

20:27, 10th Jul 2008
Ash: Due to an 'database error', we'd lost this map. Thus it's been re-uploaded and I've applied one of my reviews.

'Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is the product of a map maker that goes by the name of 'IceFrog'. In the map your aim is to destroy the other team's 'main building' (I.E The Tree of Life/The Frozen Throne) and defeat the other team of heroes in the process.

The map contains heavily customized heroes, units and items, yet falls tremendously short when it comes to terrain.

As does the balance. It's no secret that the Hero balance is about as good as a foot and a worm having a fight; you all know who's going to win. On top of that, many people choose to play the 'all pick' game mode and take the most unbalanced hero that they can find.

Which takes me onto my next point swiftly. The community within DotA is not friendly. The majority of players are young and spend their time playing the map as apposed to having any social life whatsoever. The other portion are elitist and play private leagues. The usual rule they have is if you fall under 'X' points, you're not allowed to play anymore. However, I should really keep things focused on the map itself because for all intent and purpose the DotA fanboys aren't part of the overall design.

The 'strong' items are interesting in the sense that you never really buy any, moreso you buy parts of them. This design allows for heroes to remain fairly balanced at the beginning of the game and lets individual players change their gaming style massively; you aren't just focused on being 'Strength, Agility and Intelligence'.

Whilst I'm talking about the heroes, I feel obliged to mention the abilities; woah. The skills that you learn with the heroes are heavily customized and are all fairly colorful and imaginative. No one hero shares the same abilities as others, and no one hero is, primarily, unbalanced. Most of that happens during the end game when the ultimates come into play and are mixed with the Staff of Godlike imbaness.

To tie things up; dota is a good map. Although it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The combination of items and abilities are somewhat overpowered, but one could say that with every map these days. And lets be honest, if the map wasn't fairly good then how on earth could it gain a place in several E-Sport leagues?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Due to an 'database error', we'd lost this map. Thus it's been re-uploaded and I've applied one of my reviews.

'Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is the product of a map maker that goes by the name of 'IceFrog'. In the map your aim is to destroy the other team's 'main building' (I.E The Tree of Life/The Frozen Throne) and defeat the other team of heroes in the process.

The map contains heavily customized heroes, units and items, yet falls tremendously short when it comes to terrain.

As does the balance. It's no secret that the Hero balance is about as good as a foot and a worm having a fight; you all know who's going to win. On top of that, many people choose to play the 'all pick' game mode and take the most unbalanced hero that they can find.

Which takes me onto my next point swiftly. The community within DotA is not friendly. The majority of players are young and spend their time playing the map as apposed to having any social life whatsoever. The other portion are elitist and play private leagues. The usual rule they have is if you fall under 'X' points, you're not allowed to play anymore. However, I should really keep things focused on the map itself because for all intent and purpose the DotA fanboys aren't part of the overall design.

The 'strong' items are interesting in the sense that you never really buy any, moreso you buy parts of them. This design allows for heroes to remain fairly balanced at the beginning of the game and lets individual players change their gaming style massively; you aren't just focused on being 'Strength, Agility and Intelligence'.

Whilst I'm talking about the heroes, I feel obliged to mention the abilities; woah. The skills that you learn with the heroes are heavily customized and are all fairly colorful and imaginative. No one hero shares the same abilities as others, and no one hero is, primarily, unbalanced. Most of that happens during the end game when the ultimates come into play and are mixed with the Staff of Godlike imbaness.

To tie things up; dota is a good map. Although it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The combination of items and abilities are somewhat overpowered, but one could say that with every map these days. And lets be honest, if the map wasn't fairly good then how on earth could it gain a place in several E-Sport leagues?

Level 7
This is a very well made map, that has been improved greatly over many years.

Good: The abilitys and heros are among the best I have seen in Warcraft 3 maps, and the balance isn't as bad as stated in ashes review. I would strongly sugguest that everyone play this map, but not excessively.

Bad: In my opinion, the only bad things about this game is the competitiveness against new players and all the people trying to create copys of it.

Comments: I think if people tried, they could make casual DotA games, for casual DotA players that haven't yet acquired the knowledge needed to play with the people who currently host it.
Also, maps like this that become famous, also adds a lot of inspiration to map makers, knowing that its possible to create a game which can spread beyond battle.net.

I personally rate this map a 5/5 using Hive Workshops standards and Expectations.

First

Reactions: Ash
Level 4
GOOD:
-it is played almost everyday worldwide
-it was improved and improved for each version
-it has now different languages (Filipino' is not included, lol, good thing)
BAD:
-community
-imablanced heroes

i always played this map, and sometimes earn money just playing this game...lol
i hope unexplored bugs will be removed before players will abuse them, like in version 6.52 - 6.52c, The Lone Druid has a bug on his bear, and 6.49b below has a bug on Lanaya the Templar Assasin

anyways, even though people (mostly map makers) do say this map sucks, still dota players will say that this map is the best custom map youve ever played

Level 5
What new players of DotA fail to understand is that it's not a solo-game. The heroes are very balanced for it's original purpose; TEAM-PLAY.
And choosing a fairly weak hero for one game, the same hero may be what completely owns throughout the next game... Always make sure to check what heroes the other team pick before you pick yours.

And, I cannot stress this enough; play with your friends. It's great fun because of the maps team-based gameplay.

EDIT: The only thing I don't like about this map is the community. It's a great load of 12 year-old'ers who play this map... Guess you can imagine how the chat usually looks like...

Level 10
Personally, i think DotA is a great map. sure there are imbalances but that is to be expected in any map. the thing that makes me unwilling to play it so much is the PEOPLE who play. i think that if people weren't so serious about this map then it wouldn't be disliked so much and it would actually be fun to play. as a "noob" (i HATE that word by the way) DotA player i find that i just cant enjoy the game if i play with the conventional DotA "OMFG U N00B!!!1!" people. thats my two sense on the subject

Level 36
I love this map. But I hate most of the people who play it. But that's true with almost anything, I love money, but I hate most people who have a lot of it. I love America, but I hate the people who run it. It's just how life works, the majority always gets blamed for the minorities' problems.

Flame_Phoenix, this map is old.

So obviously it is not orignal as most maps ripped this one off for ideas.
Not as old as you may think, the original dota map you are seeing, is, itself, an idea stolen from another map. Icefrog just remade that map, made it better and changed its name, I actually knew the first guy who though "Hey lets place heroes fighting!".

There are lots of better maps that the THW could be promoting, every one knows this map, there is no need to promote it ...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Incarnation, your post failed to provide evidence supporting your argument. It is clearly not the most "imballenced" thing ever created as most LoaPs are far more rigged than it is. I can agree that it probably is not perfectly ballenced, but then again nothing is unless they are the same which is boring.

Flame_Phoenix, we are just providing it as a recource, we do not offically support it nor do we offically not support it, it is just a map. Also yes, DotA allstars was full of recycled ideas, but you can not deny that most of what caused them to lose their orignality was people immitating this map and not the one this immitated.

Level 8
There is a charictar called "Luna".
It is the most imbalanced thing ever created. That is my main problem with dota.

You mean Luna Moonfang (Moon Rider) right? That hero is balanced .dat hero needs a lot mana to cast eclipse but u usually die cuz of x4 beam, just buy 1 hood of defiance and try to be wit others(so dat u can get hit at most 1-2 by the time u finished hood of defiance it will only do about 150 dmg to ur hp.)
Lord 0f 0lympia - he can spam spell (Chain Lightning 2 sec cooldown - Lightning bolt (cant remember probably 7) Like u can do about 3000 dmg per min just buy arcane ring and he can be totally unbalanced(except if anti mage is on other team). If other team has anti mage both luna and lord of olympia ( a bit hard to burn all mp buy manta style..) after dat he run use antimage ulti...each hero has their own special effects.. for enigma he can black hole for soul keeper he can chg hp.. theres nothing unbalanced.If not Icefrog will remove Luna and Lord of Olympia probably at 6.50,6.51

If still have any problem u can reply to me for ask question.

That post hurt my brain... You just don't want to learn to post, don't you?

Anyways, what people are forgetting is that every team of people who can work together can own professionals who play solo. It is simply a fact. About the imbalance thing - you need lots of knowledge to play or rate DotA. Knowledge > Skill on this one, you must know what to do, and you will never say that the map is imbalanced.

Level 15
As a frequent player of the map, some heroes are imbalanced depending on the situation. For example, if you're playing a 1v1 and you have Luna Moonfang, her ultimate is god-like because the enemy won't have any heroes around them if you can get them alone. On the other hand, if you get a hero like Witch Doctor in a 1v1 situation, he won't do as well considering his best spells require the enemy to have allies nearby them.

There's a lot of different variables that can be placed into the equation. The reason most of the people complain about imbaness is because they get pwnd for doing something only a newb would do like deliberately run into a tower.

Level 7
i personally think that dota is overrated. I like to play it with friends. But i hate playing it online because (like everyone said before) the community sux balls...

Level 12
As a frequent player of the map, some heroes are imbalanced depending on the situation. For example, if you're playing a 1v1 and you have Luna Moonfang, her ultimate is god-like because the enemy won't have any heroes around them if you can get them alone. On the other hand, if you get a hero like Witch Doctor in a 1v1 situation, he won't do as well considering his best spells require the enemy to have allies nearby them.

There's a lot of different variables that can be placed into the equation. The reason most of the people complain about imbaness is because they get pwnd for doing something only a newb would do like deliberately run into a tower.
well, in 1v1, you can basicly buy Black King Bar from the beginning, and dota is meant to be a Teamplay Game, so dont expect IceFrog to balance things just for the 1v1 :p

anyhow, was on vacation when this verison was released, i will check the changelog and get back with what i think

EDIT : Okay, so after looking at this verison, here is what i have to say

the Clockwork Goblin should be nerfed. I mean, his ulti costs 125 mana, and his other spells under 100? and they are THAT GOOD?!

I have no clue what so ever why they would improve Marksmanship. It was fine as it was

Lycan is now a bit different, but i see him as more powerfull now considering he cant be slowed for 16 seconds and has max speed(and his bashing wolves aswell)

I would not be surprised if a new verison would come out in less than a week with tweaks, since the RD mode seems to disconnect people :S

Last edited:
Level 14
What's the point of posting Complains & suggestions when it wasn't even the Mapmaker him self who uploaded the map?
I bet he doesn't:
1)Have an account here
2)Know that the map is uploaded here

So if you have any suggestions then please go to the mapmaker him self & Complain.
Now stop posting suggestions.

Level 17
What's the point of posting Complains & suggestions when it wasn't even the Mapmaker him self who uploaded the map?
I bet he doesn't:
1)Have an account here
2)Know that the map is uploaded here

So if you have any suggestions then please go to the mapmaker him self & Complain.
Now stop posting suggestions.

? Whose been suggesting?

Anyway, I think IceFrog does visit this place... We have loads of spells he can get... I guess...

• Angry
Level 15
About Dota

The good point of dota is that it is the most lagless and best combination hero of a map I have ever met, maps includes AOM, EOTA, SMOTA, ENFOS and many many other maps.. Icefrog had used much effort to keep it bugless and lagless in any point of gametime just to make it good looking so that the trend of spreading dota is still possible.. However a side effect is that, most other map makers are not going to like this when dota starts owning the popularity of other people... well that cannot be blame because those other maps just don't know what the people wants, they just want a simple easy and nice gameplay that is all, not forgetting customising and stuffs.. and that is my point.. So dota in eyes of many people is a game to be played in normal life. If this keeps up, warcraft is going to be all about dota trust me.. Someone just have to explain to the new comers of warcraft that it is not just about dota, take it or leave it that is life of warcraft!

However in certain point of view, dota is nevertheless a good map owning other copies of it, in my experience I had already copied it before, made it as similiar, changing them to customise heroes, balancing a few parts and releasing the map which simply was totally good, look again, gameplay, totally same... result? "Why not play dota, quit game!"

So people, map makers especially, think of gameplay, that will attract players, dota is getting old, newer generations are coming, so be it! Think of ideas new generations like, don't give up because of dota and that is my lecturer to those map makers up ahead, soon I am going to leave the editing world so that is all I can help with it...

To IceFrog: He is hard working trying to make his own community editing a lot more things people can imagine, getting help from suggestions, not to mention those really kind suggestors and map spreaders who improved the map. This group of "icefrog group", absolutely remarkable, If map makers ever say dota suck, they are just pure and purely jeolous, so map makers, look at my lecturer above again and think more than you ever think... IceFrog is a hardworker!

Level 5
This is a very well made map, that has been improved greatly over many years.

Good: The abilitys and heros are among the best I have seen in Warcraft 3 maps, and the balance isn't as bad as stated in ashes review. I would strongly sugguest that everyone play this map, but not excessively.

Bad: In my opinion, the only bad things about this game is the competitiveness against new players and all the people trying to create copys of it.

Comments: I think if people tried, they could make casual DotA games, for casual DotA players that haven't yet acquired the knowledge needed to play with the people who currently host it.
Also, maps like this that become famous, also adds a lot of inspiration to map makers, knowing that its possible to create a game which can spread beyond battle.net.

I personally rate this map a 5/5 using Hive Workshops standards and Expectations.

First

For the Bad Also: Story line Doesn't add up.....
like:

--Sentinals
How will the Sentinals recruit Orcs?
How Did Zeus is here (and Die)
How Did Lina Inverse Get Here?!?!?
If Furion is here, then where the Heck is Tyrande?
If it's like that, Where is Kil' Jaeden?

---Items---
If Ganon's Alter ego's item is Here, Where is him, Ganon, and Link?

----Scourge
How could a Night elf Betray its own kind? Could you like Do something else?
If a guy in a Hydralisk is here, Shouldn't A Zegling also?
Shouldn't a Replica of Archimonde in there?
What about Arthas? He is the one Who got the Scourge and all...

Level 10
like:

--Sentinals

---Items---

----Scourge

that's an absolutely retarded point. Its a fucking game, if youre going to be so anal about it its no wonder you hate the game.

im no DotA enthusiast but i do believe its a good game, just the people fuck it up.

and besides there really is no story line to DotA its an AoS, not a campaign

Level 12
like:

--Sentinals

---Items---

----Scourge
you are making no sense at all

only becouse there is a Hydralisk in the game, doesnt mean it has to have a Zergling in it alwell

that is like saying "omg, only becouse i think im stupid, everyone else are so too"

well, considering Arthas sits on the Frozen Throne, he is in the game(as Sentinels mission is to destroy it)

orcs in Sentinel? you mean Chen - The Holy Knight? Becouse that seems like very self-explainable why he is there. Yurnero - The Juggernaut? He is not really good nor evil, he just fights the Scourge for some reason(and he isnt even a pure orc either)

Zeus has a perfectly good explaination for being there. Here is a quote from the bio: "Once a deity of unfathomable might, Zeus reluctantly sacrificed his much relished immortality in exchange for the chance to crush the sinister armies of the unholy undead. As his soul crossed into the mortal plane, his omnipotent powers withered greatly, yet not nearly enough to quell this destructive Thunder God's resolve for justice". Imagination FTW, am i right?

oh, and Agahnim =! Ganon

Ganon possesses Agahnim in A Link to the Past(if i remember, since Ganon flies away when you defeat him to another place)

oh, and yet again, only becouse something exists from something, doesnt mean something else has to exist from that something aswell

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
All heroes have a weakness. Just because he is stealthed does not make him tough. Simply get items with truesight and kick his ass as his stealth means shit all then.

In the end, all heroes can be beaten except the butcher guy (pudge?) who if you are not careful, can obtain a near infinate HP counter and HP regen rate, if the game lasts an infinate time.

If you want an AOS with ballence, I could reccomend the game called Demigod (although I never played it). It has few heroes and is receving patches currently nearly every week so such a thing might be more your taste.

Just remember than in DotA, nearly everything has a counter and a stratergy, thus ballence in your eyes is very much linked to skill.

Level 13
the thing with rikimaru that you gotta consider is that he's a guy with an ability far more powerful than disruption web, and he can attack you on top of that. that, combined with his permanent invisibility makes him extremely overpowered.

pudge may be considered overpowered, there are a few that are. most are underpowered heroes to be honest and there are a pretty good percentage that are about normal power compared to the other heroes.

examples of underpowered heroes would be invoker or centaur chieftain or lanaya. normal power heroes would include doombringer or earth shaker or crixalis. overpowered heroes include nerubian assassin or lion or the zombie guy...what was his name?

this is all relative to the way i see the heroes battling against eachother. ideally, i would like all the heroes to be as powerful as overpowered...i don't want any as strong as extremely overpowered like rikimaru and i don't want that mass of normal power and underpowered heroes to be so weak.

one more thing! i just wanted to mention to anyone that doesn't realize just how good invisibility is...there are so many trees in dota and the collision size for heroes is much smaller in dota than it was in normal warcraft 3...honestly i think that collision size that they used is a bit unrealistic, the dota collision size is more realistic, because of this, your hero can run through the trees quite easily in dota...that combined with invisibility is really not to be underestimated...

i mean even if they have gem of true sight they still cannot see past the trees, all you have to do is get them too close to the trees, which are pretty much everywhere...and that's it, no more gem. it would be one thing if the gem user was penalized by dying because he got too close to the trees but you all should know he also loses gold and the item, so he would have to buy it again. meanwhile rikimaru got gold from killing him and can sell the gem and get better items.

Level 3
Where can i find DotA with bots?
because i am too noob to play On-Line(that's what everyone says)
help me
just give me link
please

Level 3
Can't understand why this map is so badly rated
Stupid haters -.-

THIS MAP IS ONLY BALANCED WITH TEAMS!

Would you play pokemon with a team of 6 dragonites and complain to be beaten by an "imbalanced" Milotic?

GET SOME SENSE INTO YOUR MIND! GODDAMN IT!

Axe beats the shit out of Pudge, as well as Harbinger can do, and several others too.

Level 2
All heroes in the map are balanced. Any team can beat any team based on skill. It's simple skill that inclines people to play the map. If you have no skill, you hate it. If you do, you like it. This is what makes DotA so great. It filters out all the noobs for you and you don't have to do the dirty work.

Don't like DotA? Good. You probably suck at it.

Level 11
All heroes in the map are balanced. Any team can beat any team based on skill. It's simple skill that inclines people to play the map. If you have no skill, you hate it. If you do, you like it. This is what makes DotA so great. It filters out all the noobs for you and you don't have to do the dirty work.

Don't like DotA? Good. You probably suck at it.

Case in point proven: DotA community is quite rude and snotty as if it is more then just a video game.

Level 11
Actually if you weren't so ignorant (oh god is this flameing?) then you would see that i did not state i dislike it because it is a bad map. Its heroes are well crafted and i take back part of what i said about it being unoriginal. The map does exceptional with its heroes.

However I have stated what taints the map. And that is its fan base. And the fact that the games are spammed everywhere. It seems as if half the warcraft users like the game and like to be apart of the DotA community while the other half is very much bothered by the community. Like i said previously, if their was some sort of filter so you can show just dota, or show no dota, or show dota and regular games, then this would take the frustration away from the non-dota players.

Also since im posting, another filter would be nice to filter our the download only s and the bot hosted games. However it seems almost certain that no patch, big or small, is coming to warcraft 3 for this. But ill still share my ideas.

Level 1
Case in point proven: DotA community is quite rude and snotty as if it is more then just a video game.

Totally agree!

I don't like the game in general. 'Cause I just don't like these kind of maps! It's a great map, many cool abilities and lots of items and heroes - That's not the problem. The people that play it (mostly) are just rude, impatient, flamers, OMG NO NOOBS ect.

The map = good, but i don't like these kind of maps.
The community = horrible... just horrible.

Map Rating: 4/5 - Because it's good, but not fully balanced.
Community Rating: 1/999.

Last edited:
Level 5
What new players of DotA fail to understand is that it's not a solo-game. The heroes are very balanced for it's original purpose; TEAM-PLAY.
And choosing a fairly weak hero for one game, the same hero may be what completely owns throughout the next game... Always make sure to check what heroes the other team pick before you pick yours.

And, I cannot stress this enough; play with your friends. It's great fun because of the maps team-based gameplay.

EDIT: The only thing I don't like about this map is the community. It's a great load of 12 year-old'ers who play this map... Guess you can imagine how the chat usually looks like...

I went to Online Dota. The community really Sucks (or Im just playing with dumb nerds)