• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
In the WCIII editor is was trivial to set up some doors that opened and closed with triggers. Fruitless searching has not revealed any way to do this in SCII, anybody got any ideas for a way to do this, or atleast simulate opening and closing doors?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There were no such thing in WC3 as opening or closing a door. The GUI mearly redirected to a small function which killed the door playing its open animation (over the death animation) or revived the door (closed).

I would look up the missions in the campaign if I was you to see how they do it there. Honestly I have no clue how to go about it in SC2 but I imagine it would be simlar. Hook the door's actor to play open animation on death and close animation on revival etc.

Level 8
While the WC3 death/life system for doors would work splendidly, you might not want it if you're going to have the door open and close repeatedly rather than just break down. This is because the door's life will restore to full every time, and this could make no sense in situations where you've almost battered a door to death, someone opens it, and closes it again and it's back to full health.
For a complete door system, you'll probably want the trigger editor.
I'm actually working on part of a door system, but it'll take a bit to finish. Do PM me if you're interested.

Level 1
What I had more in mind was not exactly so much as a door, but a barrier that appeared every set number of seconds, and vanished after that period. A forcefield or wall of units would work just as well.

Level 4
Two options

If you load any campaign map that has a door that opens you will find there is a "Send actor message" trigger that will work for you, this can be a bit complicated and makes you need to know the ANIMATION BIRTH/STAND/DEATH EVENTS the actor uses. And you could use the campaign maps as a reference.

THe other option I find more simple however.

There is a METAL DOOR STRAIGHT unit, supplied with the Campaign Dependencies, give this unit to a neutral player and set it to invuln using either a trigger or a behavior, and then use triggers to "Order unit at location - Open Gate" or "Close Gate" (these are an ability the unit has already so you dont have to do any extra work.)

Simple as that.

This gate also prevents Line of Sight and pathing while its closed. so its just as good as a doodad, only better, because you could also use triggers if its not invuln, to open after a certain amount of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.