• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Does Mapsize make a game lag more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey guys, so I make a strategy map and we do it on a 480 x 224 map.. could this cause additional lags, I mean just from the size of the map?

Many units get created 2000 or more trough the game, by 12 players ofc

Level 30
As far as I know, yes.

C. Loading the Map

The other players lag may also be because of how large your map is. If your map is Epic, or Large sized, you may want to add a loading time at the beginning of the map, just so players can handle the heavy strain on their computer.

A. Unit and Hero Creation
Every time you create a new unit that the game has not loaded yet, it takes time. Putting these at map initialization will get rid of annoying in-game pauses, but it will increase the time it takes to load the map. If you don't want either of these, you could try making a short cinematic just after the game starts, so the player won't notice a long load time or any sudden pauses.

You might want to look at this thread: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=41198

Also, maps beyond 256x256 which JNGP allows might be an advantage but there are also certain disadvantage on it as an additional such as a Blight tile issue. Just adding though.

Level 30
Okey thanks , but I can fix it with good load times? :)

As far as I know, no, I do not want to give out answers that are not proven so the presence of "AFAIK".

Anyway, if you want unit to not cause lag through creation in triggers, you'll have to preload them at Map Init which is an advantage but can cause longer load times. There are certain advantages and disadvantages to each of those things.

Level 18
It is not really the size of the map but more everything you put inside it.
So basically if your map is bigger you will put more things inside and so it can be more laggy.
So give priority to triggering to avoid leak and have a good optimization inside your code.
Also I suggest to use optimizer if you're very afraid of lags.

Level 6
What you mean by optimizers? can you show me an example?
Can then everyong still play the map without any errors?

Ty for your help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.