• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does Map size (literally) Afftect The Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi guys can i ask? Does the Map size affect the game? example i got 256x256 if i adjust it more does it cause lag?

Level 6
Hmmm why does others don't lag?

There's so many reason why the map is laggy.
A. Map Initialization
1.Too many codes applied
2.Unit and Hero Creation
3.Loading the map
B. Game Lag
1.Memory leaks
GUI Leaks bro. If you are using GUI like "Pick every Unit in..." or a "Create Units at Location'' blah blah blah.
Example:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Region 0001 <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Position of (Entering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
If you know these lines for Points, Unit Groups, Player Groups, Special Effects, Lightning Effects, Floating Text, and Countdown Timers:
JASS:
Custom script:    call RemoveLocation (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
Custom script:    call DestroyGroup (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
Custom script:    call DestroyForce (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
Custom script:    call DestroyEffect (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
Custom script:    call DestroyLightning (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
Custom script:    call DestroyTextTag (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
Custom script:    call DestroyTimer (udg_*Temp variable name here*)
You can reduce lag

Level 21
So there is like 85% that the game would lag?

256x256 probably won't lag. Beyond that it might.

For some it will lag simply because it has more tiles to keep track of. That's for the people that have weaker computers(like me). I have slight lag in almost every map.

It's possible to make a map look larger by making everything smaller and zooming in, 0.5 scale is quite good.

So basically if you are making a map that big, then you need to have very good coding and design or it will lag.

Level 16
Logically speaking, a larger map will require more computer resources. A larger map will typically have more units, doodads, etc. Since the computer needs to keep record of all these objects, there is a greater load on the computer.

Like mentioned previously, certain models can use more system resources, like that mangrove tree. I dont know much at all about models, but high detail models seem to requires more resources. Additionally, animating doodads will put greater load on the computer if there are too many of them. This is a problem when some creators use a mass of animated trees. Very laggy.

I think the number of imported doodads, preplaced units and periodic triggers cause lag too..

Imported doodads: Not neccicarily true. Depends on the model.

Preplaced Units: Yes, large masses on the map cause lag.

Periodic Triggers: Yes.

Level 21
Logically speaking, a larger map will require more computer resources. A larger map will typically have more units, doodads, etc. Since the computer needs to keep record of all these objects, there is a greater load on the computer.

Like mentioned previously, certain models can use more system resources, like that mangrove tree. I dont know much at all about models, but high detail models seem to requires more resources. Additionally, animating doodads will put greater load on the computer if there are too many of them. This is a problem when some creators use a mass of animated trees. Very laggy.

Gaias always slightly lags me due to those animated shrubs and yet it's a very well-made map. I guess this proves the point(although my computer is slightly underpowered)

Status
Not open for further replies.