• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

15 000 doodads will they lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ok Ive got a simple question but i cant find a simple answer now i know for a fact i can put 15 000 doods into a map with WE unlimited, I know for a fact Evan if i put them all in one bunch on the map and load the game with a test unit it does not lag, so far so good

but will it cause lag in multiplayer games ?

blizzards epic map size is 256x256 My map size is 420x420

so my doodads will be vastly spread out but will they lag in multiplayer games or over lan line
(there are never more than 50 doods over a screensize at any time)

If it will lag how could i get around this?

thanks in advance

Level 4
Yeah, that many doodads first off is simply not needed, does it really add to gameplay you need to ask yourself. Second doodads may in fact actually overwhealm players sometimes, it all depends. But 15000? really? A GREAT number of those can be cut out or there will be MAJOR EPIC LAG in your map, seeing as ive played maps that are 256x256 on bnet with tons of doodads, not even near that number of doodads and have like 7-10 sec delay on a good day...with that many doodads i couldnt even imagine...

Level 3
ok thanx, well im not sure how many are needed but im on a total of 1700 doods, and ive only completed one city though its the biggest city i can expect another 500 per town with 5 towns so 3900 approx may be used just in the cities and towns that leaves the rest of the doodads for the surrounding terrain, im not sure how well such a large scaled terrain would look with only 2000 ish free doodads before i hit the games maximum

I guess now id like to know can a map run smoothly if i keep everything under the editors standard restrictions?

Level 18
Tip #1: Don't use WEU. As you become a more skilled and advanced mapper you will begin to realize the inefficiency of WEU. Then when you finally want to go back to using standard WE you will run into all sorts of problems with script conversion.

Tip #2: No one in the right mind needs to use 15,000 doodads and/or needs more than a 256x256 size map. It's not going to make your map better, it's just going to result in a poor quality jumble of shoddily finished terrain because you will get so fed up with the massive amount of space.

Tip #3: If you want to have people download your map, keep the map's file size low. 15k doodads and 420x420 size map will already take up a fair amount of precious file size, not even taking into consideration custom imports.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That will eat atmost 1.5 MB for the 8 MB limate, maps like TKoK are 5 MB so its hardly an issue.

I would advise using doodads rather than destructables, as doodads do not load the game engine as much as destructables (which have a unique handle ID, hp and other widget properties).

I however advise using JNGP which supprots that I believe and starting small. Start with a 64*64 or 128*128 map for a start. If you run low on space up the size.
This lets you avoid horriable 85% empty maps.

Level 9
what i can say is that you avoid mass animated doodas, i had animated grass, about 4k of them and it was lagging on simple shockwave cause it was making terrain deformations. static doodads shouldnt cause problems like this, but again 15k is really alot

Level 11
I have like 16k doodads on my map (maybe more) and it doesnt cause any lag at all. The only lag is when u move your cam to the large mass of doodads i used for one of my waterfalls. But the number of doodads shouldnt really create lag. I have newgen not WEU, im not sure if that will make a difference. And lots of doodads does add to gameplay, it makes it look more realistic :D. But im making a marshy type terrain so i use alot of bushes and shrubs and vines >.<
Also downloading the map doesnt seem to be a problem at all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you make 16K doodads consisting of single triangles, it should obviously hardly lag much at all.

If you make 16K doodads and destructables constining of world tree models then it will logically lag.

It is important to use them efficently, and avoid clustering them as that is what causes lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.