• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will a 288x288 map lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
if you put 12 players into a 288x288 map will there be massive lag? I just started making this map that size but din't want to carry on if half the players are gunna lag out when I test it.

The maps not very trigger heavy so there shudnt be much triger caused lag but its an az wars style map so theyl be big armies fiting eachother etc.

Level 28
Try to minimize the special effects of the units (high quality spells, ranged effects, ...).
also, as MeKC has said before: limit the doodads (the terrain must look nice with a limited amount of doodads ^^).
Make sure you've got no leaks at all, watch out for every special effect/group/location/... you use.

I don't know for sure, but I've heard that if you limit the file-size of the map (1MB should work), the lag will reduce.

That's all I can think off...

Level 7
ahh shux, I always load every map I do with loads of doodads, I liek it looking nice, so if I dont put any costum spells in it will help?

I'll make sure tehres no leaks and get someone to check it after wards and as I said I wont have any major triggers, hopefuly it wil be ok.

Level 15
I'm doing something similar, just with 480x480.
Anyway map size doesn't affect lag that much.
Triggers, spells and units do.

Level 9
I didnt know its possible to make 288x288 i always thought that if u extend the length or the width higher than 256 the other value will get smaller to compensate.

Level 11
Please, if you're gonna make another az wars clone, don't screw up like all the others in the genre with generic melee cloned skills with shitty tooltips and no hotkeys. Same with units and anything else; it's always better when everything is clear and concise instead of looking rushed.

Level 7
Please, if you're gonna make another az wars clone, don't screw up like all the others in the genre with generic melee cloned skills with shitty tooltips and no hotkeys. Same with units and anything else; it's always better when everything is clear and concise instead of looking rushed.

Well mines not set in Azeroth or Kalimdor for a start but point taken, as for skills on some heros like Kael for example he will have afew of the generic melle skills, why? becuase when people play Kael they want flame strike cos its cool. I can create some interesting spells without having to use triggers and tooltips and hotkeys will be gone right (i may need to get some help with hot keys tho).

There are loads of az wars style maps and I agree some are total crap but otheres are realy good:

Coming of the horde
Dark ages of warcraft, are the best imo.

Level 21
To give you a idea, a map without trigger-based spells won't be played much without a boom effect, and such a map which you want to create needs a effect like that, else it wont be interesting enough, you know what I mean?

And, you know, every map which is bigger as 256x256 is not guaranteed to work by blizzard, because such a map size can provoke desyncs, and just a tip, weu screws maps, because it is not updated and very old.

Level 7
Realy?! damn is there a posibilty of a desync even without going over 254x254? I need WEU for the terrain deformation options, theres no way I can get the look I wnat with the regular editor. I'll test the map out on miltiplayer first before i do anymore to check for desyncs.

Btw sry I dont kknow what you mean by boom effect?

Level 28
With boom-effect, I think he means "wow"-effect, that a map without trigger-based spells just isn't that fun...
If you don't use advanced triggers, or turn off object limits, WEU works pretty good.

But if you only need to make the terrain a little bit bigger, why not make everything else smaller?
Just decrease the size of all units/object/doodads by 0.2, change your camera and it will look like your map is bigger.
The units will also appear faster ;)

Level 7
Ok well I won't be using advanced triggers but do you mean by object limits? Do you mean editing the pathing of some objects? Sry feel like a noob here :x

I was thinking of making it smaller but then I loose terrain detail, like the tiles and terain wont be as detailed if everything else is decreased. I might try a 10% size decrease and see how that looks but if what u say is true then I might still go with the 288x288.

Level 9
My advice is stay away from WEU.. I messed up a map a while back after worling on it for a few days it doesn't work in the game anymore; stayed away ever since. You'll end up regretting it.

Level 7
I've been working on one for a month and it seems fine in game, I did get a bug but knew what the cause was so mended it, also I've played games on bnet where the makers obviously used WEU, I'm pretty sure DAOW is one of them.

Hvae you tried opening it with the regular editer and then saving it, that can sometimes decrease the map size and WEU likes to make it big.

Level 28
Ok well I won't be using advanced triggers but do you mean by object limits? Do you mean editing the pathing of some objects? Sry feel like a noob here :x.

WEU has the option to disable the size of doodads, so you can get the scale above 10.
If you mess up like NoobMapMaker, it's probably because you've edited the description when you've turned on Password Protection.
You may only change the description via UMSWE, not via WEU itself.

If you do so, the game will end before it has started ;)

Level 8
Doodads and map sizes of epic or larger can be a 'minor' lag issue.

It depends on how much of the map the camera is trying to see at the same time.

Even smaller maps (small) spammed with something like river rushes or flowers with the camera down at the ground and looking across the map will lag terribly attempting to render each and every little flower or grassy-looking-thingy.

If folk have a last century computer with last century graphics cards the lag for graphics can be huge.

Number of units on the map will have a lag effect. It doesn't matter if it is one player with 600 units or 12 players with 50 units (structures are units as well) the more units you have the more processing speed is required. Doesn't matter if the map is 96x96 or 480 x 480 (or what ever the WEU limit is).

There are reasons why the World Editor is limited in map size, doodads used, blah - it has much to do with the minimum requirements of the program. I don't have my CD jacket with me for WCIII however it states the minimum requirements for the users computers, graphics card, processors blah.

If this map is being shared with a close circle of friends who you know have 1 GB or RAM and the latest Pentium chip and the best graphics rendering then lag due to numbers issue will be 'low'. If you are going to upload this for just anybody to download and you want it playable by all, then you need to give up a few things - a few units (limit the training or building to X amount per player, or lower the food cap) limit a few spell effects (not all) remove a few overly used doodads.

I read sometime ago a thread where how many units can the game handle was asked and I think we all agreed that 500 units is when things start to go south lag wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.