• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Will doodads cause lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Im making of Lotr map and I just finished making helms deep. Helms Deep has 1900 doodads, probably 3/4 of them are pathing blockers or floating platforms, will this lag? I tried it online a little while ago and there seemed to be some lag, but at the time i also had like 100 units in the same area.

I also have a lot of other doodads on the other side of the map. I'm making a map were u can choose the battlefield at the beginning of the game. Thanks for your help :)

232885-albums8529-picture103361.png

232885-albums8529-picture103362.png

232885-albums8529-picture103363.png

I believe doodads are pretty lightweight in comparisons to others like destructables or especially units.
I don't really know now if you lag because of doodads here or not, but my first presumption was no.

Have you also other factors that could influence fluent gameplay?
100 units on screen sounds also pretty much.

However, but you also could providently try to hold amount of doodads down that are not needed.
For example are there like 5 or more rows of blockers needed on mountain?

Level 10
Yeah I have a few periodic events. Ive taken care of leaks. I think it was partially the units because i tried it again without the units and the lag less, but still present. I think ill try reducing the doodads by some, is there a way to make an area unwalkable without pathing blockers? Like a terrain tool? Im using the jass new gen editor and ive gone beyond the normal 16 tile limit, maybe that causes lag?

Thanks for helping btw :)!

Edit:
Thats not actually that many doodads, maps seem to work fine with over 40k doodads in so you should be fine.
Just noticed your comment. SO then doodads aren't the problem. I'll check my triggers again.

Level 11
If you are using a lot of pathing blockers you can use the technique in these tutorials to reduce the number of blockers:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ls-278/ground-pathing-blockers-upsize-253712/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...raining-alternative-pathing-technique-216570/

As suggested above, In the NewGen World editor, there is an extension that lets you set custom tile pathability. If you are using a Rock tile and don't care if the entire tile ( no matter where you place it is) unwalkable, you can use that. The extension itself is part of the UMSWE tab. You have to enable UMSWE before you can set tile pathing. If you do use it please note that after you set the tile unwalkable and hit OK in the extension, you have to close and re-open the editor for it to take effect. Do not save the map after you hit ok, as the extension does that for you.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I suppose you used the default pathing blockers?

These are destructables, not doodads. The terms should not be used interchangable. Destructables are incredibly taxing on game performance compared to doodads.

You actually have two choices here:
1) replace all the destructable pathing blockers with doodad pathing blockers - you lose the functionality to remove/kill them, but in most cases, this isn't even desired.
2) use this baby and check out if it works for you

... actually; there is a third choice. This is the one that I used:
You can enumerate all destructables on map init, remove them and use SetTerrainPathable on the cells of the destructables to write into the pathing map manually. This will basicly remove the overhead of your destructables, but keep the pathing information intact.

Level 10
Seems that the culprit to most of the lag was in the invisible platforms. I removed them to test it (there were around 550 of them) and the fps went from like 25-30 to 45-50.

As suggested above, In the NewGen World editor, there is an extension that lets you set custom tile pathability.

Thank you! I just used it and it works perfectly, I'll make all rock unwalkable. I'll probably use the upsizing technique on invisible platforms so i dont have to use so many.

These are destructables, not doodads. The terms should not be used interchangable. Destructables are incredibly taxing on game performance compared to doodads.

So i should change the model file of like a doodad rock or something to nothing and use that? I'll try it, thanks! Also, now I'll have almost no destructables on my map so is the removing off screen stuff technique still useful?

I really appreciate all the help, I've learned a few new things :)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Seems that the culprit to most of the lag was in the invisible platforms. I removed them to test it (there were around 550 of them) and the fps went from like 25-30 to 45-50.
In this case, us the system I suggested. It will greatly improve performance. It was literally designed for masses of invisible platforms (since these platforms must be destructables by definition).
I used this in Gaias, which has a similar number of destructable platforms and it improved FPS from an unstable 30 fps to smooth 60 fps.

Don't worry about it being Jass. Just drop it in your map and set the configurables and you're done.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The performance problem is probably caused by "walkable" destructibles. You may find that turning off that flag greatly improves performance as well. One can imagine that the systems needed to make their geometry "walkable" are highly complex and quite taxing, especially in large numbers.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The performance problem is probably caused by "walkable" destructibles. You may find that turning off that flag greatly improves performance as well. One can imagine that the systems needed to make their geometry "walkable" are highly complex and quite taxing, especially in large numbers.
Which would still be solved by just dropping my system in his map.
It's literally what I made it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.