• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you like the new site changes?

What do you think about the recent site changes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. Are you against colored names in the Hive Workshop Chat Rooms or in Hive Workshop Forums?
In the forums, I believe.

and the forum would look fruity
Just what I would want <3

But yeah, until we get different themes (which probably won't be for a while), I think re-adding the colored names to the staff would be better. And just look at the poll. It's there for a reason.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
What is with "You want colored names because they make you look cool"?
Seriously, colored names should be applied especially to distinguish modders from artists, and Moderators from Administrators.

Also, as much as you can say "You want colored names because it makes moderators look cool", we can also say "You don't want colored names because then we are cool and you are not".
The point is not to look cool, but let's have it your way.

Level 14
Rui said:
What is with "You want colored names because they make you look cool"?
Seriously, colored names should be applied especially to distinguish modders from artists, and Moderators from Administrators.
I think I would have heart failure if you tried to qualitatively define users as either an "artist" or a "modder." Shit, some people do both; what would you do then, make one type blue, the other type red, and have mixed users be purple? I mean really, let's hire the whole Reading Rainbow while we're at it and have theme songs play when you click links to different forums. Realistically, though, the distinction can be done in a purely textual manner, so you don't actually "need colors" for anything, they're ultimately just a manner of preference.

Level 27
Well, I know that aesthetics matter the least when deciding if I want to stay at a site or not. It's like only playing a game for its eye candy and valuing said looks more than actual game play or something. Matter of opinion, of course, but I think you will agree that you're here for either the community or content rather than just how pretty it looks.
I stay for the content, but I joined because it looked good.
The lack of colored names is both the least liked and most disliked out of all of the options in the poll.
And the reason this thread exists in the first place, huh? :p
It would also be confusing as hell to have different moderator/administrator colors for different themes.
Do you switch to a different theme every day or something? When you're new to the site you probably don't know the colors, but you learn. You can learn it for as many themes as you want.
I find this argument null and void.

I haven't bothered to look at the other themes, but I figured it was obvious that they should all come with their own color scheme for rank distinction.

Now, at the very least, we do need some way of telling the ranks apart. However, a user title describing this only works in the forums. There are currently many places where numerous user names are listed together in a big wad of text, where color would do a very efficient job of immediately informing me of the rank of the user.
I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how badly you want them back?
Have you ever lost a close relative?

Level 14
Hakeem said:
Do you switch to a different theme every day or something? When you're new to the site you probably don't know the colors, but you learn. You can learn it for as many themes as you want.
I find this argument null and void.
Just because you can introduce a steeper learning curve to something never makes it a good idea to do so.
Hakeem said:
Have you ever lost a close relative?
Yes, my father. If you would like to be heartless and inconsiderate in any other way, now's your chance.

Level 10
Squiggy, you missed the metaphor.
- - -
Though argueing about the colors is useless, and as much as *most* of us liked them they're not coming back as Dusk pointed out, unless Archian (and the rest of the admins I assume) change their mind.

Level 27
Just because you can introduce a steeper learning curve to something never makes it a good idea to do so.
It's not like learning a new theme would be as hard as it was the first time. If you switch to a new theme, you probably already know the ranks well enough to know what the colors mean right away. Schools out.
It's not like it's very important anyway, if you want you can think of them as random pretty colors, but those who know them will know what they mean.
Yes, my father. If you would like to be heartless and inconsiderate in any other way, now's your chance.
I'm taking a course in being more offensive, but right now I'm just an apprentice. :|

Level 34
*points at many people*

The coulors are not coming back.

They were cool.

Why are they not coming back?

That is the question.
Because the Admins said so. What they say goes, remember this isn't a democracy, you cannot vote out Ralle during the next elections.

Level 27
Maybe we don't need colors, but there are numerous places where a username appears that it would not be suitable to display the full rank title.

Still, we at least need some way to tell what rank a user has.

Level 25
Another good point. Are we to rely on bolded text under our avatar some more? What about something that allows users, moderators, and administrators to view what our powers are. Our exact privilages, our advantages, our responsibilities, what and when we can use/'abuse' our power - everytime an authorized personnel bans someone, it's instantly becomes a conviction of power-abuse - , and so forth.

~Craka_J

Level 34
Forum moving/merging - like: I don't mind it.

Staff ranks being rearranged - dislike: It's like putting hundreds of cops in a small town while the big town next to it has ten cops.

Loss of colored names - like: Is this an issue about the Chatbox? Aww, removed the Chat colours? Shame.

Staff rank titles being image and link-less - dislike: I liked it with the tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.