• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 2: Resurrected releases September 23rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Thanks for sharing!

I'll post my comment here as well. After the brilliant product such as Warcraft III Reforged, I'll buy D2R only if it's really good.
Especially cause, honestly, it's kinda pricy.

Level 20
After the brilliant product such as Warcraft III Reforged, I'll buy D2R only if it's really good.
I'm in the same boat - after Reforged, I'm inclined to only buy Resurrected a couple weeks after launch if the reviews are fine.

Still, I'm not going to lie, these cinematic clips are looking good and they got me a little bit excited :D

Level 20
What happened to on or before December 31st 20XX?
Some countries (Germany, I think) require preorders to come with an estimated release date, which is why companies include statements like "releases on or before December 31st 20XX". In practice this doesn't really mean anything, other than maybe pointing towards the year of the release.

Also giving Activison money for D2R you let them get away with reforged
They already got away with it and even if D2R is a massive flop, it won't change anything for Reforged.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Does anyone play the Diablo series for the lore?
I did the first and the second game. Tried the third for that but was disappointed. They went somewhere with Reaper of Souls but that's about it.
As for the fourth, I'll not be surprised since it's open world and basically a combination of all, since you get to kill all demons again.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I'm hoping the team that did Resurrected can take what they learned from that and apply it to IV... unlike Reforged where fans are just left to pick up the pieces.
Resurrected will mostly be a graphics enhancement patch, like Reforged, only the latter went too far and also removed core features of the game.
Diablo IV is a new game, not a remaster, well, in a way it is but that's another discussion.

Level 28
Resurrected will mostly be a graphics enhancement patch, like Reforged, only the latter went too far and also removed core features of the game.
Diablo IV is a new game, not a remaster, well, in a way it is but that's another discussion.
Yes. I'm really happy it still looks (and probably feels) like Diablo. I am also happy it makes some necessary comfort changes like auto gold pickup, bigger/account stash. I'm really looking forward to be playing with a controller from my couch.

Level 20
What worries me is that supposedly Resurrected won't have ladder at launch (unconfirmed / can't find a source).

This sounds like another remaster from Blizzard that was supposed to get ladder shortly after launch...

On a more optimistic note - two remastered cinematics are here:

EDIT: Found the source for the ladder thing:
In case you don't know, Adam Fletcher (a.k.a. PezRadar) is the community manager for Diablo.

Last edited:
Level 13
What worries me is that supposedly Resurrected won't have ladder at launch (unconfirmed / can't find a source).

This sounds like another remaster from Blizzard that was supposed to get ladder shortly after launch...

Found the source for the ladder thing:

In case you don't know, Adam Fletcher (a.k.a. PezRadar) is the community manager for Diablo.
Thanks for sharing this. This means I won't be buying it until I see reviews and how buggy it is, how's the performance and so on...:peasant-grin:

On the other hand, the situation in Blizzard is obviously tough right now, so my expectations aren't really high tbh.

Level 13
I haven't played it myself (I never play BETAs or such), but what my friend told me, it looks like it's gonna be one of the best remasters yet. I can't comment on bugs, but my friend says there aren't many, I can say that the graphics and cinematics are truely stunning. Which makes me even more sad how they screwed/didn't care about Warcraft 3 Reforged, and that StarCraft isn't getting Resurrected treatment.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Which makes me even more sad how they screwed/didn't care about Warcraft 3 Reforged, and that StarCraft isn't getting Resurrected treatment.
Warcraft III could get a proper graphics rehash, however, with Brood War it might not be possible since it was made as a 2D game and Diablo II has a 2D and 3D graphics engine mix if I'm not mistaken.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
THis is going to be a Trainwreck on par with Refunded.
I highly disagree, there's nothing at all hinting at this outcome. Reforged had a million red flags before it was released, Resurrected has maybe 1?

The only thing I'm sad about is the lack of online mod support, but those mods will still be accessible on non-Resurrected D2.

You have to look at things case by case even if you've been burned before. It's possible for evil activision blizzard to produce both good games and bad games. I hate what they did to Warcraft 3 but in this case Resurrected was handled by the company Vicarious Visions who have a pretty solid track record for remasters.

But if you still refuse to support this company than I can sympathize with that. I don't really like giving them money either...

Last edited:
I highly disagree, there's nothing at all hinting at this outcome. Reforged had a million red flags before it was released, Resurrected has maybe 1?

The only thing I'm sad about is the lack of online mod support, but those mods will still be accessible on non-Resurrected D2.

You have to look at things case by case even if you've been burned before. It's possible for evil activision blizzard to produce both good games and bad games. I hate what they did to Warcraft 3 but in this case Resurrected was handled by the company Vicarious Visions who have a pretty solid track record for remasters.

But if you still refuse to support this company than I can sympathize with that. I don't really like giving them money either...
That is the most same and humane opinion and reply I heard on this topic.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Ha-ha. Check out the critics. The game is the 28th best of 2021 although it just launched :D

Level 2
Not sure if people are hate reviewing it because of Warcraft III and I'm pretty salty about Warcraft III and wanted to boycott Diablo II Ressurected regardless if it was good or not but dang.

To be fair it sounds like there is currently no lan support which is how I always played Diablo II.

Level 20
people are hate reviewing it because of Warcraft III
People are most definetely hate reviewing it, but not because of Reforged - it happens because people want to play new games on launch day and if there are some server issues which prevent them from doing so, they get mad and go online posting 0 score reviews to feel better. Now, I don't judge people for getting upset that they're unable to play - after all, it is what they paid for, but then I do think that giving a game a 0 score review just for that reason is silly.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
To be fair it sounds like there is currently no lan support which is how I always played Diablo II.
Did they promise or say that this permanent online version will have LAN? I remember something like Resurrected supposed to being like a different game, not overlapping the older one like Remastered and Reforged.

Level 2
Did they promise or say that this permanent online version will have LAN? I remember something like Resurrected supposed to being like a different game, not overlapping the older one like Remastered and Reforged.
Looks like they did mention it here in the q&a

They mention potential security risks as the reason, or they just got lazy IDK

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
With mods like Project Diablo 2 around it's hard to care about anything D2R related... unless of course it's added mod support so PD2 can use the remastered graphics (pipe dream). I highly recommend checking out Project Diablo 2 if you're a D2 fan!

Regarding the patch, I noticed a few key changes that were taken straight from PD2. I suppose that's a good thing seeing as how the PD2 devs are much more in tune with what makes the game good. Not to bash the D2R devs, they seem to be putting in a solid amount of effort to make smart changes and from what I've read they are on the right track. The whirlwind changes sound interesting, I almost want to level a barb again just to experience the skill working properly for the first time in 20 years :p. Some of those new runewords are absurdly overpowered but I guess that's par for the course. That 6 socketed sword runeword is as strong as the most expensive items in the game and costs absolutely nothing, crazy!
Find a normal colossus blade/sword -> Larzuk quest for guaranteed 6 sockets -> profit.

Alright, maybe I will boot up D2R now...

Last edited:
Level 11
3dfx isn't only bilinear, it had exclusive stuff like dithering and proper image sharpening and lightning under CRT Screens.
but then blizzard is full of incompetent idiots who never loaded D2 under a PC of that time.

in fact, it makes me wonder if any of them at least had a few minutes to search youtube about it.
D2 was really a gem for making use of it on its last years without being a openGL game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.