• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Destiny or freedom?

Black or White?

• Freedom - Black

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Destiny - White

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
As the last season of LOST goes on we see the final battle between the black and white. As the Man in Black wants freedom, Jacob still follows his destiny, even fater death. Many people join sides. What would you choose?

The point of this poll is to find out what people would do - go to the black side, but be free, or fo to the white said and follow your destiny.

The choise is yours.

Level 13
Dude, DVD's suck. However there are bonuses and stuff in them.

I always dowload the episodes from internet. The same day they are made, but fully audio translated in my language!

"DVDs suck and piracy doesn't."

That is very, VERY logical, Mr. Douchefag.

Also, I don't watch Lost, it lost me when it went completely wild. Season 1 was meh, 2 was complete random bullshit D:

Level 23
I never said piracy is good, I said that CD's are lame and its better to download series from internet. It isnt piracy you know. Downloading films is piracy. Dowloading the LOST DVD is also piracy. Dowloading an episode isnt piracy since you arent going to use it in commercial ways. As long as you arent selling it or somehow using it to gte money, but just watching it isnt piracy.

Keep your opinion to yourself, ok? Some people like it, some dont.

Level 23
Thanks! ^^

You do have a point. If destiny exists, then freedom is only illusional.
But perhaps destiny is what you believe to be your destiny. However I rather believe that destiny is true and freedom is illusionary, since either way you will get where your destiny leads you.

Level 34
I never seen Lost, except the intro with the plane that went 9/11 on the island.

I'd rather choose destiny, since freedom is an illusion. Plus, I bet that guy wasn't being specific about what decision contains what.

Just in the real word: Democracy isn't freedom, you think you vote for something good, but the shadow government still decides what goes in and what goes out.

Level 19
I never seen Lost, except the intro with the plane that went 9/11 on the island.

I'd rather choose destiny, since freedom is an illusion. Plus, I bet that guy wasn't being specific about what decision contains what.

Just in the real word: Democracy isn't freedom, you think you vote for something good, but the shadow government still decides what goes in and what goes out.

seriously?

Level 22
I've never seen Lost, but I believe in determinism. I don't think anything is random. All that has happened has happened because something made it happen and things that will happen will be caused by what we do now. It's not possible (at least not any time soon) to predict the future, as there are way too many variables.

Level 23
Well in the series it is more similar to alignement.

For instance: the Man in Black(a.k.a. Smoke Monster) who is freedom offers one of the characters to join him and in return he will bring back from the dead a person who he loves.

Jacob who is destiny offers another character to heal his dying son, but he will never be able to see him again and he must go to work for Jacob on the Island.

So you follow your destiny and follow unwritten rules or free yourself and have no rules or morale stopping you.

Tleno, sorry ^^'

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 24
My personal opinion is that destiny is like a fork in the metaphorical path you take down life. The fork is unavoidable, but what you do there is up to you.

Dowloading an episode isnt piracy since you arent going to use it in commercial ways. As long as you arent selling it or somehow using it to gte money, but just watching it isnt piracy.
Y-no. Not at all. Grievous misunderstanding of copyright law and Fair Use. I believe that Lost does distribute legal digital episodes for free on the internet, BUT; your usage and viewing of the episode of every episode of Lost is definitely not covered by Fair Use. Specifically, being able to obtain the episodes for free drastically reduces the value of copies that you pay for. Why do you think that TV shows can be taken off of Youtube and other video hosting websites for copyright infringement?

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
2. The nature of the copyrighted work
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

Level 8
Everything is chaos, humans are given the chance to do something with that chaos, to achieve something in life, be it good or bad and to rise up from a simple monkey into a supreme power. Every human has a destiny, but a destiny that is created by our own free will.

About governments, every government is an autocracy, some just say it out loud, while others decide to hide behind parties chosen by the people. I guess the great thing about democracy is we can chose who our dictator will be, and if that dictator decides to go against the government something scandalous will happen. However, would you prefer chaos - anarchy. Governments, religion, laws, they all change and bend to our will, to our destinies so in fact we create what we want when we want.

Free will is destiny in a sense.

yeah ABC does allow you to view the Lost episodes on their site, up-to-date, only catch is, you have to be american (or have an american ip).

anyway, destiny definitely, to be honest, john locke really was quite an admirable character for his massive amount of faith, though he did lose it at points, mainly during season 2 end - season 3 midpoint, after which he was extremely skeptical of ben linus, which was understandable. jacob, from the point where i'm up to (pre-sayid based episode) seems a bit like a much more wise and understanding version of locke, but they seem to be extremely similar in a lot of ways.
then again jack is a non-believer throughout pretty much every single part of the series, except for the end of the 5th, (that again can be related to the whole Man of Science/Man of Faith concept, where he's believing in the science, especially seeing as Daniel Faraday was a scientist, nukes are scientific, etc.) and he can be admired for that too. but personally, i think that locke's faith (blind faith some may say too) was more admirable.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Didn't read the thread, nor did I see LOST (well, I did watch the first season, but I gave up on it as soon as they mentioned how long they planned to keep it going). So without any of that on my mind, I'm definitely going with "black side - freedom" .. 'cause I don't succumb to destiny.

Level 13
It is racism if you put 15 black people and 15 white people on an island and pit them against each other in a TV show.

Yeah...

EDIT: It's not "Some people went to hot regions," it's the other way around. Learn history.

Disclaimer: I never said Lost had exactly 30 characters.

I'm wondering, is this Lost thing some kind of extreme racism? <.<

although at a guess you're not being serious, for anyone (and you!):
The 15 black/white people is meant to be:
-15 destiny-bound people represented by white
-15 freedom-seekers represented by black
(and it's not like this)

black/white is a symbolism in lost. it's found in a lot of places, examples in season 1:

Backgammon, locke teaching walt how to play - two sides, one black, one white: one dark, one light.
"Adam & Eve's" skeletons are found, one of them has a bag with two gems in it - one black, one white.
During Claire's first (shown) nightmare, Locke is shown having one black and one white eye. The dream also could relate to freedom/destiny, as it is talking about Claire raising or giving away her baby, a choice or a destiny? He also says "He was your responsibility but you gave him away, Claire. Everyone pays the price now." - related maybe?
During season 6, Jacob's cave is shown: scales with one white and one black rock, one on each side, perfectly balanced. The white represents Destiny (Jacob), the black represents Freedom (Nemesis), if you see the S5 Finale and this episode, you will understand WHY that actually is.

Level 9
(and it's not like this)

black/white is a symbolism in lost. it's found in a lot of places, examples in season 1:

Backgammon, locke teaching walt how to play - two sides, one black, one white: one dark, one light.
"Adam & Eve's" skeletons are found, one of them has a bag with two gems in it - one black, one white.
During Claire's first (shown) nightmare, Locke is shown having one black and one white eye. The dream also could relate to freedom/destiny, as it is talking about Claire raising or giving away her baby, a choice or a destiny? He also says "He was your responsibility but you gave him away, Claire. Everyone pays the price now." - related maybe?
During season 6, Jacob's cave is shown: scales with one white and one black rock, one on each side, perfectly balanced. The white represents Destiny (Jacob), the black represents Freedom (Nemesis), if you see the S5 Finale and this episode, you will understand WHY that actually is.

dont analyse a show so much, just watch it ;)

Level 23
dont analyse a show so much, just watch it ;)

Have to disagree with you here. LOST is actually a show that needs to be analyzed. It is made out of secrets and easter eggs. The whole show is mystical and you need to perfectly analyze every episode(I usually just read what people revealed in Internet) to understand.

Darkness-4ever, that is the catch.

Level 27
Have to disagree with you here. LOST is actually a show that needs to be analyzed. It is made out of secrets and easter eggs. The whole show is mystical and you need to perfectly analyze every episode(I usually just read what people revealed in Internet) to understand.

Darkness-4ever, that is the catch.

Yes, actually with all those allousions and hidden secrets Lost became so popular in... erm, popular culture (Like do you know you can find a computer from Lost and Dharma simbol in HL2 episode 2?).

Level 24

Technical time for that is "mindfuck".

Level 13
(and it's not like this)

Aha, thanks for clarifying. I thought he meant skin colour, and I was being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.