• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

death of a language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
No it's not the same type of word at all. Hi might well be an abbreviation, but saying hello isn't exactly an expression of an emotion, is it? Now, are you replacing something like crying or smiling or pulling an awkwardly funny face with your tongue dangerously close to the observers ear with the word 'hi'? No. Are you replacing such an expression with the word 'lol'? Yes, that would be laughter and quite possibly the one about putting your tongue close to someone's ear for shits and giggles.

Level 35
A new language? God dammit, the old ones not even dying yet. Sure, ppl are getting really slack with writing, but when it comes to talking, only a select few want to sound like a tard and say lol in RL.

Now, for those who think that saying 'lol' and 'rofl' and 'OMFGLMAOBBQ' in RL is the birth of a new language, think again. For those who fear it to come true and are beginning to accept it may happen, do not fear, for it's not going to happen. And for those who think it's really the actual birth of a new language and are right now wetting themselves at the concept of being at the root of something 'amazing', get a life and change your soggy pants. You don't create a language by saying these things in RL. If it was that easy, then there'd be thousands of different languages taught in schools and you'd be considered uneducated for only knowing 100.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
A new language? God dammit, the old ones not even dying yet. Sure, ppl are getting really slack with writing, but when it comes to talking, only a select few want to sound like a tard and say lol in RL.

Now, for those who think that saying 'lol' and 'rofl' and 'OMFGLMAOBBQ' in RL is the birth of a new language, think again. For those who fear it to come true and are beginning to accept it may happen, do not fear, for it's not going to happen. And for those who think it's really the actual birth of a new language and are right now wetting themselves at the concept of being at the root of something 'amazing', get a life and change your soggy pants. You don't create a language by saying these things in RL. If it was that easy, then there'd be thousands of different languages taught in schools and you'd be considered uneducated for only knowing 100.

I have to agree with every letter and dot in this comment.

Level 13
50 years ago, teenagers all around the world started to use expressions, abreviations and other variations of the language to prove their own individuality. Then, such actitudes where considered "stupid" and a "vandalic", something that will dissapear promptly. When said teenagers answered that this was the new step of society, many didn't believe them, while others crossed them out as "outcasts" or little children with too much free time that should get a life, a job, a family and stop wasting their time believing in "changes".

50 years later, we, the children and grandchildren of that generation, find ourselves using expressions in everyday life that only 50 years ago were considered something "useless", "vandalic", "stupid". And not only teenagers and young adults, but everyone, at work, at home, on the streets, everywhere. Now I ask you... Does these situations remind you of something?

You say we should stop being idealists, stop dreaming and just "get a life" following today's standarts? Just supress our ideas and do what we are expected to? No surprise that with that actitude you think you can't change things, that you aren't at the start of something "amazing". Things are never "amazing" at the start, people that believe in them make them "amazing" by working on them, and that requires an actitude, belief in what you are doing, believing that what you are doing will be "amazing". Said this, do whatever you want. You can stay put and shut up, or you can believe in whatever you do, make it truly worthy of attention and change things.

Level 13
It has already happened. And it's not a new language, it doesn't substitute every words, only some of them.

Level 35
I think that people drawing comparisons between the new words being created in the past and the new abbreviations of the internet being used in RL is pretty sad. It's simply not the same in the case of words like 'lol' and such, although it is becoming common with a minority of people. The simple fact is that words created in the past were by cool people with wit and the words were actually made by either extensions of existing words or combinations of two previously existant words. Not by people who are too lazy to pull themself let alone actually laugh or simply say "that's not funny".

Anyway, as Masiah says, only time will tell. Either way, I don't care, I just think it's sad to use words like 'lol' and 'rofl' in RL on a regular basis. Occasionally isn't too bad, but my point is don't replace emotions with abbreviations of words which actually describe to the person what you are doing. It's not as if when you snigger in class you say 'sniggering inconspciously right.... now!'. That would be freakin' weird :S

Level 27
50 years ago, teenagers all around the world started to use expressions, abreviations and other variations of the language to prove their own individuality. Then, such actitudes where considered "stupid" and a "vandalic", something that will dissapear promptly. When said teenagers answered that this was the new step of society, many didn't believe them, while others crossed them out as "outcasts" or little children with too much free time that should get a life, a job, a family and stop wasting their time believing in "changes".

50 years later, we, the children and grandchildren of that generation, find ourselves using expressions in everyday life that only 50 years ago were considered something "useless", "vandalic", "stupid". And not only teenagers and young adults, but everyone, at work, at home, on the streets, everywhere. Now I ask you... Does these situations remind you of something?
Aside from it being a different thing entirely, please give a few examples.

I'd like to point out that I consider "lol" a word by itself. Not as an acronym for Laugh Out Loud, but as a word. It can be pronounced as a word.

Other acronyms do not have a word like pronunciation. STFU cannot be said as a word. It can only be identified in conversation by saying the letters of the acronym. "Ess tee eff you," versus "Shut the fuck up." "Oh em gee," versus "Oh my god." "El em ay oh," versus, uh... actually laughing.

I encourage people to say, "Ess tee eff you," in real life, so I can tell them to shut the fuck up.

Level 7
If it will be a new language, I'll be happy because I know it already. Also, sometimes I don't feel like laughing, even if there is something AWESOMELY FUNNY going on, and it amuses me, so I say 'lol' or 'rofl'. Also, even if people won't laugh anymore and they will say 'lol', if you get tickled, you won't say lol, won't you? You will just laugh... Well maybe I don't like laughing because I have weird teeth and I feel weird laughing D:

Status
Not open for further replies.