• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

death of a language

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, if we havent noticed, we live in the internet age and the language of the internet has somewhere along the line, came into our normal real life speech and writing. i think this has its goods and bads

for example, when something funny happens, nobody laughs anymore. they just say "lol". or when something not very funny happens, they still say "lol" even though a scoff or a simple "heh" will do

do you think through this over-use, the acronyms which we were so fond of at the begining, have lost their meaning and values?

Level 27
for example, when something funny happens, nobody laughs anymore. they just say "lol". or when something not very funny happens, they still say "lol" even though a scoff or a simple "heh" will do

Yeah some crowds do that, in our class nobody does it... although i used to do that before i automatically dis-learned it or something. You just pick up catchy words and prashes that other people say and start using them.

For instance, when you get to live in an area full of people never using that word you will seize using it because well... people have the habbit to adjust themselves right...

Level 4
In my class/school i would say that (roughly) over 50% use "lol" more or less.

Level 12
Every live language has to evolve, same with taking words from other language and slangs.

If not, then e.g. english would have 40% of vocabulary (and that just words from latin and french)

Level 7
I get quite irritated by people using LoL in a sentence when they could've said "That's funny" or something similar, but I've noticed less and less people using LoL (and other internet "words").
What I've more concerned about is how English as a language is taking over "small languages". I guess this is mostly because I live in a rather small country (Denmark) and we are the only country talking Danish. I can see the positive sides about more and more people being able to communicate with each other, but I fear the day when English have completely overwhelmed these "small language".

Level 4
I get quite irritated by people using LoL in a sentence when they could've said "That's funny" or something similar, but I've noticed less and less people using LoL (and other internet "words").
What I've more concerned about is how English as a language is taking over "small languages". I guess this is mostly because I live in a rather small country (Denmark) and we are the only country talking Danish. I can see the positive sides about more and more people being able to communicate with each other, but I fear the day when English have completely overwhelmed these "small language".

Exactly the same here in Norway

Level 13
I am quite sure, thank you. The weirdest thing is that I wasn't surprised at all when I heard for the first time.

Level 16
Some of my friends (actually only one) say 'lol' and i think it is really annoying
When you say it on some forum it seems ok to me, but in RL it sounds so weird, it sounds even weirder because he is dutch so he says it in a weird way that i just cant stand it!
He also says things like 'wtf' instead of 'what the f***',, and such things,,
But he is of course more then a year younger then us ;),,

But i think that we are getting really silly if we are going to use 'abbreviation-words' like 'lol' and 'wtf' in real life, they are abbreviations, so dont use them as words, is what i think,,

Reactions: HFR
Level 13
My question is, why consider it a "death"? Maybe it's the new step of the language evolution.

Reactions: HFR
Level 16
My question is, why consider it a "death"? Maybe it's the new step of the language evolution.

Yeah lol, mb in the future everyone will speak like dis lol

Biznis mettin yr 2020:
BOSS - "Hi lol gais."
BIZNIZ EMPLOYEE 1 - "ASL?"
BOSS - "Sigh.."
BIZNIZ EMPLOYEE 2 - "Sup man? omg lol"
BOSS - "Noob y no progress ??"
BIZNIZ EMPLOYEE 1 - "LOL wtf N moar time. Plz gif moar G, I /afk LFG 2 help me??"
BOSS - "Omg wtf!?!!! STFU n00b"

Level 9
i dont here any one say lol anymore, but i used to hear it all the time, i dont here people say wtf but what it stands for... i used to hear internet acronymns all the time but it died out where i live, unless someone is joking around and says l33t h3x0r or something like that.

Level 22
I would not call it the death of a language, but "The rise of a language" instead. We humans have developed languages for a long time and now a new one is coming.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
I call it "Death", simply because this "new" language" is totally stupid in real life. As dansaDisco already said...

Biznis mettin yr 2020:
BOSS - "Hi lol gais."
BIZNIZ EMPLOYEE 1 - "ASL?"
BOSS - "Sigh.."
BIZNIZ EMPLOYEE 2 - "Sup man? omg lol"
BOSS - "Noob y no progress ??"
BIZNIZ EMPLOYEE 1 - "LOL wtf N moar time. Plz gif moar G, I /afk LFG 2 help me??"
BOSS - "Omg wtf!?!!! STFU n00b"

You think that this is an language?

Level 35
You are missing the point quite terribly, Restor. People are losing the ability to speak properly in terms of writing. It's understandable to use such abbreviations in text messaging and even online, but when people start saying 'lol' and 'rofl' in RL, then it gets irritating. I mean, for god sake, if you're going to say it, wouldn't it be more productive to just laugh?!?

I don't know if it's so much the death of a 'language', but more so the death of human expression. Anyway, this is only in the case of a few eccentric jerks or maybe just some people who enjoy making fun of abbreviations in today's society. It's been of concern to a few people around me and at one stage me as well that the English speaking population is becoming lazier by the minute, supposedly not having enough energy to add an extra syllable or even so much as an extra letter.

My advice: Keep the text language in texting and the online language online. No one wants to hear that crap in RL.

Level 13
No one wants to hear that crap in RL.

How can you be so sure? Nothing personal, but you should speak for yourself and not for the rest of the world. If people do speak with abreviations in real life, it means that they DO want to hear them.

Level 35
Well, honestly, how many people actually do that? Occassionally it can actually be funny in certain circumstances, like someone asking a group of people in a play to do a laugh and one just bellows 'LOL'. However, most people who do use it are often found to be annoying as they can't simply laugh, but rather just say lol with a hint of what I gather to be a snigger. After all, if you're laughing, why would you need to tell the person you're with that that's the very thing you are doing?

Level 13
The question is... why not? For example, some jokes simply don't deserve the laughter, now people could just say "lol" (I liked your joke but I didn't find it funny enough to laugh) instead of faking laughter.

Level 35
But the idea of a new language developing based on the fact people don't want to display emotions naturally just seems soooo awkward and soooo bad. When I say people don't want to hear that crap, I don't speak for everyone. I can't do that. However, I can speak for a majority.

People, in general, prefer to hear an actual emotion, to see an emotion, not to have it replaced with a cold, emotionless expression. Speaking with writing is difficult to do with any emotion, so if we start speaking like that, where's the actual human expression? Are we but robots?

Status
Not open for further replies.