• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using a foreign language in Warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi guys, I've been playing and making mini-maps here and there with my friends and I wondered if we are ever able to use our main language in-game, be it the map's text strings or the entered chat strings...

All I know is that Warcraft's MPQ contains fonts for English, Russian, Chinese and such ... and chinese' letters are Unicode-8. When we type using our native language, every letter is replaced by an English letter, which is not good at all.

So, is it possible to view normal UTF-8 letters of our language if I replace the font of English (Don't know which one right now) with another font that supports both English and my language ? So in-game when I type with both languages, they pop up normally...? And after that, I copy-paste the MPQ into my friends' game folder too ...?

Example : I modify my original MPQ so it corresponds with my language
In-game with my friends I type using for example "Urdu" or "Persian" and it appears with no problems (It isn't replaced with stupid symbols)

Last edited:
Level 15
I know what he mean, he try to translate script code of MPQ to other comprehend language, which usualy doesn't always give the same result...

Well that's why I wanna replace the TTF English font file in my Mpq archive with another TTF font file that supports both English and my native language... I haven't tried that and I don't wanna mess with my MPQ until I am sure it works... that's why I am asking

Level 15
Not sure the font engine can support it. Modern games use different approaches to fonts and such. If your language has too many characters in its font set it might break the character reproduction system.

Well I tried it, I made it a backup for my wacraft so any bug wouldn't harm my game. Then I used MPQmaster to replace every single font in "War3.mpq/Fonts" by the same font , everything worked fine except one thing, my language didn't appear at all (everything is replaced by spaces, although English' letters work fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.