• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Multiple languages for one map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Dear Hivers,

Before I'm going to describe the problem, I need to say: I'm sorry for the title. I didn't know, how to put it.

Now to the exact problem/question:

Back in the days, when I was irregularly playing DotA, I found a translated version of it and downloaded it. It worked fine and I had everything in my native language.

Afterwards, I joined a normal DotA (the standard-version was hosted) and suprisingly, I was still able to see everything in my native language. I have asked a friend of mine, who didn't download the translated version and he confirmed, that he had the normal English language. I checked the DotA-Forums and contacted Icefrog (still waiting for a response...*cough* for 3 years now *cough*), but I couldn't find a solution to that.

Now, my knowledge of the world editor isn't that phenomenal. After a brief research in the hive-forums, I found a small annotation of a member saying something about the .wts files, where the languages are stored and that one simply has to change it in order to "translate" a map.

However, this would not directly explain this anomaly, since I had 2 localized versions of the map - one English and one German - on my PC. Thus, the text would have been the same for everyone if the .wts file would have been edited, which was obviously not the case.

I hope, someone can help me in this enquiry. Thank you in advance for that.

With kind regards,
Gaegamel

Level 26
When wc3 launches a map, it sees its interface changes and stores them. Closing the map does not make wc3 revert to its default settings there, which is why you may carry the interface changes onto the next game, in case that map does not overwrite the data again. Wc3 only resets completely when restarting the program.

The .wts file may contain a map's custom strings, it does not have to. The problem is if you were to replace it, wc3 most likely will detect the difference and therefore force teammates to download the new version to play. The mpq archive, which is used for wc3 maps, offers a function to make files locale-dependent but I could not yet confirm that this works effectively.

You can create different versions of all the individual object editor objects but this will cause a lot of problems concerning your map script and synchronity. Bloats size, too.

On your own side, you can locally overwrite profile files but I doubt that would have higher priority than what the map does, so you could only edit standard data.

Status
Not open for further replies.