• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Customizing warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey people! First off, I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right forum, or if there is a correct one for this question. In any case, please move this thread if needed :)

I read a guide on how to replace skins/models etc. with custom files in your folder instead of replacing them in the .MPQ files.

With that in mind, I tried replacing specific unit data, like giving Admiral Proudmoore his proper icon instead of using the generic paladin one. This change was made in the CampaignUnitFunc.txt file, found in war3x.mpq.

The changes show up in the editor, but not ingame, whilst they function completely if I replace skins or models.
Do any of you have an idea on how I could fix this issue?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I made a tutorial about how to do it with MPQs, it's the exact same method. Except you place the file directly into warcraft 3 instead of the mpq.

Someone made a tutorial about that specifically.. the title was something like "the best way to bypass the 8mb limit" which is now graveyarded, but you can still find it.

Level 1
Hey Chaosy!
I stated in my post that I replaced the files in my warcraft 3 folder instead of the MPQ :)

Level 1
I believe @Apheraz Lucent made a tutorial for that.

I didn't quite get it where's the issue, but yes, I have a tutorial that relies on similar method to replace ladder files, which can be found here: Customizing your Warcraft

Aye, I've used that tutorial. No matter how helpful it's been for me, it doesn't speak of changing .txt files, as far as I've seen.

Which I why I gave you the name for the tutorial teaching that.

The problem is that I've already enabled the "Allow Local Files".
The whole issue is that even though that has been done, and I can replace skins, models etc. both in the editor and ingame, adding edited versions of the .txt files that handles unit properties (like their ingame or scorescreen icons), those changes will only show in the editor, NOT ingame.

Level 30
It's because changing specific .txt files can cause the game to crash for apparently random reasons, and it's hard to trace where exactly the problem is (most common reason is causing desyncs). I haven't included it just for those regular users who won't tinker too much into the editing.

It's most likely that there's another place that pools resources to ingame stuff like that tho.
Second most common reason is that what you're replacing was used in RoC but not in FT, and there's a "replacement" for it in the patch MPQs.

Level 1
Ah, sweet!
I specifically tried changing stuff that would be replaced in patch MPQ's for that reason.
Might be I should do a little digging around to see if I can find some sort of workaround.
Thanks mate :)

Level 30
Fortunately, it's not.

As I've stated in my tutorial, the map's MPQ always has a higher priority than customization MPQs, and maps always, without exceptions, hold their own custom unit data - meaning it's impossible to modify a unit's stats "from the outside".
Any changes that are to be made must be made on the map's MPQ itself.

Level 50
Fortunately, it's not.

As I've stated in my tutorial, the map's MPQ always has a higher priority than customization MPQs, and maps always, without exceptions, hold their own custom unit data - meaning it's impossible to modify a unit's stats "from the outside".
Any changes that are to be made must be made on the map's MPQ itself.
Eh, too bad. Thanks for the info, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.