1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Customizable Effects (+ a tool)

Submitted by JesusHipster, Retera
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Now anyone can create his own effects with little to no effort, no lags and only 1-2kb map space for each effect. Or scale the needed attachement effect up or down. Now updated. Yay!

Special effects creation tool:

Download: >>CLICK<<

Current contents:
The tool can automatically attach any model from wc3 achives to the model, scale the attached effect and has a pleasant visual menu.

1 orb.mdx, 2 orbs.mdx and 4 orbs.mdx - effect attachements rotating.
Lightning Shield.mdx - customizeable lightning shield (3 effects attacheable)
Blood Mage Spheres.mdx - replaceable Verdant Spheres. Attach to Overhead.
Effect Scaler.mdx - single attachement that can help you scale needed effects with two clicks. See screenshots below.

Now there are two more. I don't personaly fancy them too much, they were made on demand and don't look as good as the others. But they are included and indeed working:
TinkerRocketMissile.mdx - tinker's missile with replaceable rocket. Downside is that attached effect doesn't play death animation - you will have to add it via triggers.
Aura.mdx - makes wc3 effects flat and wide so they look like auras. Pick the effect carefuly.

Tool Screenshot:

[​IMG]

NOTE: you can use imported effects, just enter the custom path.

Manual Editing (Old)

Customization of this model with your own hands is very simple, though i higly recommend using the tool made by Retera. His tool makes editing the effects much easier without cutting the functionality.

Open Model Editor. Open Windows tab in Model Editor and go to the Node Manager. Double-click the EDIT_ME_N; thing. Type in any wc3 model path you would like to see. Just don't forget to type it in as.mdl. You can copy-paste it from Object Editor in World Editor. Keep in mind that effect is only visible ingame. Don't forget to save the model.

[​IMG]

More customizeable effect can be found here: CLICK. (Same effects as in the tool folder)

NOTE: if you feel like your effect is facing a wrong direction when attached to this model try RMB billboarded on the EDIT_ME_N things in object editor.

If by any chance you find a wc3 model that doesn't work with this dummy or if you have any questions or suggestions - don't hesitate to comment here.

Credit if used, edit it however you want.

Screenshots:
[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits: Tool Coding - Retera; Models and idea - Jesushipster

Aditionaly check out the system that allows customization in World Editor via JAZZ.

Have fun!

Keywords:
guide, tutorial, toolset, program, elemental, fire, water, stone, nature, storm, lightning, missile, attachement, custom, death, holy, demonic, shield
Contents

Customizable Effects (+ a tool) (Model)

Reviews
22:36, 29th Mar 2016 HappyTauren: Although there's not much "model" to speak of, I'll approve this due to its inherent usefulness, and the obvious "why didn't I think of this" factor. But I'll suggest you to make a pack of these since this, by and...
  1. 22:36, 29th Mar 2016
    HappyTauren: Although there's not much "model" to speak of, I'll approve this due to its inherent usefulness, and the obvious "why didn't I think of this" factor.

But I'll suggest you to make a pack of these since this, by and of itself, is a bit short on utility as-is (even though what it does it does very well).

2. Wow, decent!
    I did not know you can add attachments this way to a unit. Now I know what Path is for.

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So, wait... If I understand this correctly, this custom model can be easily modified in Magos to feature pretty much any model you want in place of the balls/sparks, and it will put that model spinning in a loop around the target (like Lightning Shield/Blood Mage Balls)??

That is absolutely fantastic.

4. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yes, that's correct, thank you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It should be more of a tutorial or something.
    Right now this model is just a spinner with 4 empty attach point.
    If the user has to edit the model himself to make it work it's not really a finished model.

6. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:

Both models have stuff attached to them, the tutorial is on changing it. In the first case it's a spirit of vengeance missile (red lightning shield) in the second its Kael's spheres.

When someone searches for a buff model he can stumble across this and modify it for his needs with a couple of clicks. I think releasing it as a model makes it more accecible. I've already done it with applying shadow to a texture, progress and hp/mp bars. The progress bar thing got kinda popular, so I don't see it as a bad way to promote an idea.

7. teozamait

teozamait

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think having it in the model section has its advantages, most of the work is done for you and people are more likely to browse this part of the website over others, allowing someone to "stumble" over this model.

On the other hand, if this was a tutorial a person actively looking for such a feature would have an easier time finding it since there are significantly less tutorials than models.

Anyway, I think it is a very useful model, well done!

8. Hayate

Hayate

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I was wondering? If someone could write a simple userfriendly code to alter the thing XD I wonder if .bat could do that XD

9. Hm, I tried to attach the Necroppolis building, but it does not appear, just casts a green light on the Hero Blood Mage depending on his facing.
    The building might either be too big/else concepted than an effect or I messed up the setting.

10. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    That's curious. I haven't tested it myself with this model, but Necropolis itself model doesn't have a light emmiter. That draws me to a conclusion that it's connected with Necropolis utilising shared undead birth model. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe it a bit too much too much to have an attachement with an attached attachement.

However it shouldn't be a problem, considering you can already do pretty much all sorts of fucked up shit, like floating barrels, red and blue lightning shields, rotating footmans and so on.

If you are doing tests of the model i would be glad to see what you came up with BTW.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This thread should just become a slideshow of every conceivable model attachment. xD

12. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  13. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I believe this will solve a lot of problems. Looks indeed decent.

14. MetalKing1417

MetalKing1417

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice. Is there something similar for the cluster rockets missile? Because I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the ability to make their missiles look like they are traveling somewhat randomly without a bunch of triggers.

15. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much, that's a great idea. I'l get to it when i'm done with my bachelor thesis.

16. Hm, now it suddenly popped up out of the nowhere

If I scale the bones, does the attachment scales, too ?
    Haven't tested yet, but just for interest.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  17. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    If it pops out after some time than it means that the problem was with an event object. That thing atached a different model to a model attached to the customizable buff which was later attached to a unit. That's fun.

The physical part of it scales. The particles don't. (edit: sometimes they do though) You can also make those billboarded if you want to. Then it will always face camera.

Why are there six necropolises though and why do you need it? It's just curiosity

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  18. Hm, I see, thank you, I thought it is caused by the Birth animation playing.

It could allow to make models with parts rotating around it easily, like the Dalaran Citadel.
    Simple attaching using this model.

I don't know why there are six ones, I only edited the path.

19. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well it is caused by it's birth animation. The point is that around half of it's birth animation is not included in the model, but in the other model called UndeadBirth or something.

Anyways i wouldn't advice using undead or nightelved or naga buildings with this model and i can't guarantee that it will work as intended with them.