• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Current vJass coding meta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, whats the current meta for coding in vJass in Reforged?
I'm still using the regular editor, but looking at unformatted, unhighlighted code without a function browser is giving me headaches.

Is there a good solution to blizzards insistance on not giving us a syntax highlighter?
I would even work with a lightweight offline code Editor at this point and copy and paste everything over.

Can someone give me a recommendation? I heard HiveWE doesnt work with Reforged.

Level 18
For syntax highlighting you can use notepad++ or visual studio code.
You might want to consider switching to lua though, or one of the languages that transpiles to it: C#, typescript, and since recently also python.

HiveWE is currently being updated for reforged, if you know how to build it you can check the reforged branch, though I don't know how much functionality is still missing to make it work properly with reforged.

I just use jasscraft, problem is it doesn't have the new natives but the most important thing to me is a natives list.
Sounds like the easiest solution to me. Thanks for the recommendation. Ill check it out.
For syntax highlighting you can use notepad++ or visual studio code.
You might want to consider switching to lua though, or one of the languages that transpiles to it: C#, typescript, and since recently also python.
i dont like mixing languages. Even if I have some experience with Lua Id rather stick to vJass because thats what most resources use.

Visual Studio Code is awesome but it is annoying to copy the code out of the wc3 editor all the time.
Using non-warcraft tools seems very bothersome to me as these usually dont know the language quirks and cant edit the war3map.j directly.

Whats the newest Version of jasscraft? I cant find it anywhere here.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with @Drake53. You're not going to find any tooling with the level of support Lua, TypeScript, or C# has for vJass. Not to mention those languages are much more powerful and flexible than vJass and in the long run will save you from the many headaches that come along with JASS, even if you have to rewrite libraries in them.

In case you want to try one, I can suggest TypeScript: cipherxof/wc3-ts-template

Otherwise you will have to use an older editor or copy and paste your vJass code from a text editor into the trigger editor. You can also edit the war3map.j directly or with a build script using the maps as a folder feature.

Level 1
Where can you download Jasscraft? When I google it, I'm finding a gamebanana.com link that was updated in 2010, a sourceforge link that was updated in 2013 (i can't find any file to download here), and a github link that has 1 commit in 2017...

You are outta of luck unless some kind fellow uploads the program here. It was originally hosted at wc3c.net, which is now dead. Now, there are some plans in the making to merge the website with this one, but nothing has been finalized yet. In the meantime, the HiveWE is a good alternative for JASScraft. JNGP Lua Edition is another option.
I really hope HiveWE will be updated soon because it doesnt work with Reforged yet.

Level 17
Sigh.
The main disappointment of Reforged for me was definitely the crappy world editor.
I wanted it to resemble the awesome 1.26 JNGP style with syntax highlight, native list, backuping, great plugins, text generator and colorizer, expanded functionality, 1 machine multiplayer simulation for testing, and such.

1.26 JNGP wasn't perfect, but it was NASA tech compared to the shitty, featureless 1.31 editor.

So. Damn. Pissed.

Level 2
I'm new to this and I also want a good development enviroment. Current standart jass editor is absolutely disgusting, the font is worse than in default windows notepad.

So what are the options for today? I see those:

1. Intall 1.26 JNGP
  2. jasscraft
  3. wait for HiveWE
  4. typescript
  5. wurst script
I did not use any of them so what are the best? I really like the wurst enviroment but I'm not sure it's worth to learn another language.

Level 8
I'm new to this and I also want a good development enviroment. Current standart jass editor is absolutely disgusting, the font is worse than in default windows notepad.

1. Intall 1.26 JNGP
  2. jasscraft
  3. wait for HiveWE
  4. typescript
  5. wurst script
I did not use any of them so what are the best? I really like the wurst enviroment but I'm not sure it's worth to learn another language.

LUA is a language worth switching to if you know jass already... you cannot use jass any where else but with LUA you can make ROBLOX games man!

However, if you want don't to wait, go with anything...

I use VS Code with the warcraft library or you can even check out a VS Tool that can compile and run a test but I didn't figure how to work it.
warcraft-vscode - Visual Studio Marketplace

Level 6
for vjass you can use WEditor with an //! import statement to an outside script of your map

I use jasshelper.exe outside of WE to compile my code to check syntax, and use Weditor to actually save/build map

//! import will look the jass file(s) you point to outside (to the file system) and save the map with the scripts you point to.

You can even use Eclipse/Vscode with to edit these files now.

Level 1

1. Intall 1.26 JNGP
  2. jasscraft
  3. wait for HiveWE
  4. typescript
  5. wurst script

Wurst is an incredible, elegant, and well-designed language which beats many mainstream ones in expressiveness - this coming from a Linux aficionado with experience in C, C++, Go, Lisp, Perl, Bash, etc.

Give it a try :thumbs_up:

It seems the new WE is 64 bit, not 32 bit anymore like it used to be. I guess thats one of the main reason why many tools don't work anymore (at least it is for tesh).
Can't you invent some kind of hack to inject TESH into the new editor?
Then again, it is probably easier to simply use HiveWE and wait for 0.7 at this point.

Can't you invent some kind of hack to inject TESH into the new editor?
Then again, it is probably easier to simply use HiveWE and wait for 0.7 at this point.

It's possible but chances are Blizzard would patch it out eventually. The game executable is now obfuscated and has some anti tamper protections. Not impossible to bypass but clearly they don't want anyone hacking their executables. Though, I haven't actually checked if the Editor has these protections but I assume it does.

It's possible but chances are Blizzard would patch it out eventually. The game executable is now obfuscated and has some anti tamper protections. Not impossible to bypass but clearly they don't want anyone hacking their executables. Though, I haven't actually checked if the Editor has these protections but I assume it does.
That's assuming Blizzard actually cares about WC3 anymore at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.