• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Crystaline Icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Using M C!'s tutorials, and GIMP. I've ran up a few crystaline rocks, and stone. I can make each of these icons quite quickly, and am looking for some feedback. Also, opinions on whether it would be worth submitting a complete pack. Presently, un-borderized.

Looking for a mod to re-name thread -- "hawk's Gallerheah", or something similar. Whatever you think is fitting.

Attachments

• BlueCrystal.jpg
    BlueCrystal.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 183
  • CrystalGreen.jpg
    CrystalGreen.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 186
  • TealCrystal.jpg
    TealCrystal.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 177
  • YellowCrystal.jpg
    YellowCrystal.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Level 24
All valid, points which I'll try to fix up for my next batch. In the mean time, I made up a few more. I added in a few, of my other icons.

Attachments

• BlueCrystal.jpg
    BlueCrystal.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 166
  • GreenCrystal.jpg
    GreenCrystal.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Electric.jpg
    Electric.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Flames.jpg
    Flames.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 166
  • RedLightning.jpg
    RedLightning.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 162
  • OrangeCrystal.jpg
    OrangeCrystal.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 167
Waaay too blury. Lemme come up with a proper way to do this.

Light refracts off angles, making the faucets look brilliant. When light refracts, it breaks up into the spectrum; Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet, like this:
diamond.jpg

Now, for a colored surface, light refracts in shades (darker) and tints (lighter) with the same pattern as a white surface. The darker surfaces are created where the light refracts above it, so the light cannot reach it, like a faucet right on top of a lower faucet near the bottom of the gem.

PINK_diamond_Radiant_200_x_200.JPG

Also, the other side of the crystal is skewed by the angle of the refraction, which is the reflux angle of the faucet, like visable here.
phqp178.jpg

Level 24
Axe

Agreed. The exception is for a few of the crystals, which are too blurred to be cured.

Anyway, here is another early version. This is my first attempt that took any real realism/drawing so it is rather different. The back ground is super bland, and I am considering adding some kind of glow/effect. Comments and suggestions are encouraged.

Attachments

• Axe.jpg
    Axe.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 115
Just a hint, you could try drawing in a higher resolution, then shrink it to 64x64 and add a sharpen filter. This will make sure that your icons will not get so blurry, and it sometimes gives it a more blizzard-cartoonish feeling in it.

And I would NOT overuse the smudge tool if I were you, because the glow effects you made looks more like melted plastic, which looks very nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.