• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Criticalstrike trigger-enhancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I have a critical-strike based skill called 'Headshot'. It just adds bonus damage, no multiplier. How would i hook into it? Like to display a 'Headshot!' floating text when it goes off? 'Event - a unit starts the effect of an ability' didnt work, and neither did 'a unit finishes casting an ability'. How would I do it?

Thanks.

Level 12
Well, I advise to make it via trigger, and set the bonus damage to zero in object editor

and make some trigger like this

E:unit is attacked
C:attacking unit is YOUR UNIT
A:set integer_x=random number between 1 and 100
if integer x is less or equal to 50
then make YOUR UNIT to damage attacked unit with "some damage"
make floating text above YOUR UNIT blabla...

else do nothing

I am not at WE at the time, but I hope you understood (of course this is just example for 50%chance, it depends on your ability)

Level 28
Restor said:
E:unit is attacked
I wouldn't advice using this event...

Critical Strike Detection

Edit:

For the floating text:

• Floating Text (add this in the critical strike-trigger)
  • Actions
    • Set TempLoc = (Position of (damage source))
    • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ((String((Integer((Damage taken))))) + !) at TempLoc with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (80.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
    • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
    • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 15.00 towards 90.00 degrees
    • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
    • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 1.00 seconds
    • Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc)

Level 12
ok ok, that cca the same I wrote in the basic sense. I just didnt write it in details :)

of course you can check the level of that ability, and, with some math, apply it to the damage in actions, or with if/then/else (if level is 1, damage will be 40, if level is 2, damage will be 50...)

It is full MUI :)

Level 3
Thanks, but not what I need. Here it is more precisely...

In my Zombie survival map, I plan to have marines with 3 skills: Headshot (Which I have working fine enough), leg shot, and arm shot. Leg/arm shot is a percentage, like crit strike, but then slows the movement or attack speed of zombies. Ive got to be able to check for each skill being used.

Think of the hero in DoTa that switches between the orbs. Kind of like that, except you switch between which type of shot.

(Would it be easier to make each skill an auto-casted ability?)

Level 3
He has all three, but can only be using one. The marine can change between shooting for 'Headshots', 'Leg shots', or 'Arm shots'. Headshots have a percent chance to instantly kill the zombie, leg shots slow down the zombie by a percent, and arm shots slow down the attack speed. Should I just make auto-castable, quick-repeating single-target instant skills?

Level 3
JASS is fine, the only reason I dont work with it is that it seems like all the tutorials and helpful things require me to have vJass/Jasscraft/etc., which I dont, because I'm on a Mac.

How bout just using bash? Hmm, I'll check if you can change the bash text in the Game Interface
Edit: Is there bash text, I don't think so actually. alright, maby you could make a model of a plane and then apply a two sided texture that is alpha'd out "Headshot"
then when the buff starts, the spiraly thing would be switched with this new model. Then the models death anim would have the text rise, and the buff would only last 0.01 seconds. I think this would work

Level 18
JASS is fine, the only reason I dont work with it is that it seems like all the tutorials and helpful things require me to have vJass/Jasscraft/etc., which I dont, because I'm on a Mac.

I use plain ol', regular JASS. None of the fancy stuff. You'll be fine. But like I said I wont be home til a few hours from now. I'm sure I can make this ability though.

Level 12
So, if only one ability can be use at the moment, I would use skills bases on frost arrow from naga, searing arrows from potm and incinerate arrows from firelord. They are autocasting, but only one can be used at the time. Set all atributes to 0, and make specified buff for each spell, and then you can check if attacked unit has specified buff, and then actions will execute.

Level 3
I mean like this:

Marine has THREE SEPERATE SKILLS.
He selects Headshot skill.
Now, all of his attacks have a __% chance to instantly kill a zombie.
Then, he selects LEG SHOT skill.
now, all of his attacks slow down zombie movement by __%, but dont do damage.

Then, he selects arm shot skill.
No damage, but __% attack speed down.

Level 18
Here you go man.

View attachment HeadshotStrikeby1)ark_NiTev.02.w3x

Gives a 15% to cause a Headshot, Legshot, or Armshot. A Headshot causes severe damage. A Legshot causes half damage and reduced movement speed for 2 seconds. An Armshot causes half damage and reduced attack speed for 2 seconds.

Follow my instructions to import this into your map by reading the "Read Me" and "What to Copy" comments.

Last edited:
Level 12
thats totally different things he wants. He wants three separate skills and only one can be chosen at the time. (at least I understood him).

Anyway, your headshot dont instantly kill anyway.

What do you want AOE single-shot spell for? I think acid bomb from alchymist is what you want, or try rockets from tinker. Or frost nova is sort of aoe, it just target single unit, but affect area.

Level 18
a-ha. I posted before I read post #16

This is much easier than I thought haha. I thought he wanted a critical strike that has the ability to do either 3 of the actions. I didn't read that post so I didn't know he wanted three completely separate abilities.

Yeah using arrows modifcations is probably the best bet. Well, hopefully you can find a use for the ability I made as well! If not it's cool, it only took a few minutes.

Level 3
The thing you made -IS- nice. I could modify it to be used as an ultimate ( spam an area of zombies with innumerable shots, having chances to headshot, slow down, or slow attackspeed )

Status
Not open for further replies.