• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating high mountains: Max terrain height in UMSWE/JNGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I got a terraining-related question about the maximum terrain height, that one can ultimately achieve:

I am currently terraining a lot of mountains, and I am using the 2011 JNGP version world editor, which includes no limits and all that stuff.

Additionally, I added the famous miscdata.txt in a folder named "UI" in to my wc3 folder, to increase steepness and all (max height in that .txt is set to 9000). Edit: Editor tells me, the max height of the mountain in the image, I attached, is: 2034.4 .... :(

Still, there is a max terrain height in my editor, that I encounter, as you can see on the screenshot. I put a normal paladin as height reference for you, and I wanted to ask,

whether there is a possibility to raise terrain height further beyond the heighest mountain, that you can see on the attached picture:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/pastebin/b346cc859200dd833c18f6f7f384f9ed6538/

b346cc859200dd833c18f6f7f384f9ed6538

Thank you for suggestions :)

Best regards!

ps: sry I messed up the img attachment, please look at the pastebin attachment

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_071016_205026_01.tga
    4.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
It's not really certain if it's possible. But, as a means to an end, you could always trick the player/viewer into thinking that the mountains go way higher than reality.

Ever thought of adding mountain and rock models? Those usually end up giving some neat results when combined in an ingenious way with the terrain mesh to give the mountains more height.

These days, we usually work with Talavaj's and toby's model packs. You can find those here and here.

Last edited:
Level 14
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, Heinvers! I might add some peaks to the mountains and use animated snow pile doodads to mimick seasonal snow! :)

I did not find Toby's pack yet and this one is truly amazing. I already knew the stone&sword one, which is truly great as well.

Would you be able to provide these amazing maps by Toby?

Now that I know, that they exist I cant wait to use these amazing things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.