• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create an alpha channel with Photoshop Elements... how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
i've been creating some basic skins for a while, but now i want to make something better, like reskinning an aura, but all i get is a black square with some drawings on it, found out that the alpha channels are lost, so... how do i restore/create them using Photoshop Elements?

or do i need a different program?

Level 10
Assuming that this works in Phoshop Elements smilar to Photoshop, you should be able to get transparent parts in Photoshop Elements just by erasing.
If you erase to a color, make sure that you edit in 32-Bit color mode. If you aren't sure about the mode, make a new picture. In the dialogue popping up you should be able to select the mode. If you are surely in 32Bit mode and still erase to a color, select only the fourth channel besides R, G, and B. 100% black in this channel is complete transparency. Although I'm not sure if you can edit single color channels in PS Elements...
When you save your file to convert it to BLP and use it in War3, also make sure that you always use 32Bit Mode.

Level 2
won't work, the transparent is saved as white when i save it as JPG.

the skin disappears and only the team color part shows when saved as TGA.

and Photoshop Elements doesn't support BLP.
:cry:

is there any other program i can use??

Level 2
_-nexXxor-_ said:
.... only transparency wont work!!!

you have to draw in the "Alfa channel" first you have to create this channel! (duno how) and than, you have to draw only on this channel the parts were you want to have transparency.
as darker, as more transp.

... i know that i need to create an alpha channel, the only thing i wondered was how to do it

Level 2
BMP. doesen't support 32 bits, TGA. screws the texture, JPG. Doesen't save transparent, is there any other program i can use that's easy to get?

Level 10
BMP does support 32Bits as far as I know, but it is quite uncommon... but I tried once more and it should work with TGA if you just use transparencies. The bug only occurs if you save a 24Bit picture as 32Bit TGA.
What you should always be sure about: the height and width of your image always have to be ...don't know the english word... in numbers consisting of 2*2*2...*2, e.g. 2 pixels, 4 pixels, 8 pixels, and so on. Most common are 256 or 512 pixels. If your height or width doesn't follow this standard, the convertion with wc3viewer will result in an empty file.
I hope we finally found your problem! Please report if it works or still doesn't! :)

Level 2
The only way i can find that creates transparency is by erazer, but that's saved white in most formats, tried a few times with TGA. but i end up with a screwed skin and only the teamcolor part showing, is there any other way to do it? i've seemed to have screwed it op so far in every way i've tried :?

Level 4
ragingspeedhorn
Saying that GIMP is good when he has photoshop is saying that a Windows XP user should start using 95 again
^^
I know, but he/she asked if there are oter Progs.... and the only FREE prog I know is GIMP .... or maybe InfraView.... but this isn't good for editing...

@ trollboy
try to open a given skin of which U know that it contains TC.... if U open it with PS(cs2) U will see that there is an "alfa channel Layer" in the Layer selection window!!
that's the way I did my TeamColored skins!!

Level 2
_-nexXxor-_ said:
ragingspeedhorn
Saying that GIMP is good when he has photoshop is saying that a Windows XP user should start using 95 again
^^
I know, but he/she asked if there are oter Progs.... and the only FREE prog I know is GIMP .... or maybe InfraView.... but this isn't good for editing...

@ trollboy
try to open a given skin of which U know that it contains TC.... if U open it with PS(cs2) U will see that there is an "alfa channel Layer" in the Layer selection window!!
that's the way I did my TeamColored skins!!

oh... how nice.. since i i don't have PScs2!

Level 2
YAY! i've solved it!

i downloaded The GIMP, opened them in .TGA, applied a transparent layer and erazed what i wanted
:D

Problem Solved

Level 2
no idea, might be a connection with the fact that saving an PS Elements file in a different format than the standard PS formats ((everytime i saved files in something else, i got the message "Some changes will not be saved using the selected format")), and PS Elements does not have any way to create an alpha layer :?

Status
Not open for further replies.