• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Crazy idea for variable stun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I want to go through the whole story because it was a bit of an adventure for me, but I will add a TL;DR at the bottom.

The problem I am trying to solve is variable stun. I had a few ideas, but they ultimately had big problems:

1 - Pause unit. I was even using it, but then I found out it stops stuff like flame strike from doing any damage. To avoid redoing all these spells that won't work with pause unit, I looked for other solutions.

2 - Storm bolt with many levels based on the different amounts of stun duration I want (basically would be like 0.1, 0.2, up to 2.0 or something).
The problem is that it would be a huge ability with 20 levels. I want to avoid this as much as possible.

3 - Storm bolt with 2.0 duration, but then I can use timers to remove the stun buff. I thought I was a genius.
Then it hit me - it would not play nicely with other stunning buffs (since it keeps the one that was on there first and just resets the duration). This means it might just have the full stun duration if another stun effect was on there first, or it might cut another stun effect short since it tried to extend the variable-length stun buff that will be removed after the timer.

It was something I kind of left for later since I didn't want to implement a buggy solution, and redoing all the spells so they work with pause unit was a LOT of work I didn't want to just delve into. Anyway, it came to me last night as I went to bed. What about the Aerial Shackles ability?!?! I could make it last for, say, 10 seconds. Then, to use it, I add it to a dummy, have them cast it on the target, and then set the expiration timer to how long I want the stun to last. The dummy dies and the shackles go away.

Is this a good solution? It seems so clean compared to what I have thought of before. The issues are:
- I've never used this ability, so I don't know much detail about it. It might not do exactly what I want.
- I have to create a dummy for each unit I want to stun. Reusing dummies is possible, but it would require some kind of system and possibly a big initialisation in case I want it to be able to stun many units at once. It will definitely be more costly than having one unit storm bolt everything.

TL;DR and main questions:
1) Is it safe to say Aerial Shackles ability is the same as a channelled stun? I have never used it before, so I don't know all the details. I just want the victim to be unable to do anything - the same as when they are stunned. No moving, no attacking, no casting spells.

2) The plan is to:
- Create an ability based off of aerial shackles. Duration is 10 seconds and I will figure out the animation etc.
- When I want to stun: Create a dummy and add the ability. Cast the ability on the target.
- Set the expiration timer of the dummy to X seconds (X being how long I want the stun to last).
- The unit is stunned by the dummy, but the aerial shackles is interrupted when the dummy dies, releasing the target.

Are there any problems with this?

Level 1
Create a dummy unit and add a custom "aerial shackles" with 3600 duration to make it last forever, add the expiration time to the dummy unit, the duration of the stun is going to be the expiration time of the dummy unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
Create a dummy unit and add a custom "aerial shackles" with 0 duration to make it last forever, add the expiration time to the dummy unit, the duration of the stun is going to be the expiration time of the dummy unit.

Have you done it before? I've never tried it before, but just got this idea while thinking about it. I am wondering if it will work and do what I want it to.

Level 5
The biggest problem would probably be that you can't aerial shackle someone who's already shackled. So unless there is only one way to be shackled, there is the possibility for a "stun" to be missed out on entirely.

Level 12
The biggest problem would probably be that you can't aerial shackle someone who's already shackled. So unless there is only one way to be shackled, there is the possibility for a "stun" to be missed out on entirely.

This is good to know. I will have to limit it to only certain things, then.

Level 12
You could also use a Stun System. There's so many out there that it's not even funny.

What I like about the aerial shackles way is that it will be a super light "system". It will be really easy to use and really easy to create (assuming I can get it to work without massive loop holes). I may use a system, but I'd rather do that only if I need to.

Can a unit have a stun buff and a shackles buff? This is pretty important for me and will probably be the decider at this point if it's worth using for me. For my use cases, I can pretty much guaranteed just remove the shackles buff and apply a new one. It might shorten a stun sometimes, but only on rare occasions and only by very small amounts.

To fix this, just remove "Aerial Shackle" buff on cast, so that it becomes the new buff that is the latest added.

Level 5
I'm kind a wondering why don't you just use a dummy unit to cast storm bolt or something, instead of shackles?

He wants to have a customizable stun time. So that would mean having a storm bolt stun with saaay, 10000 seconds. Then he would just remove the buff when he wants to. The problem is that this would "cancel" out other stuns at the time.
The custom stun is 0.5 seconds
Some other stun lasts for 3 seconds
If they both applied at the same time, the custom stun would remove the buff after 0.5 seconds, so the unit doesnt get stunned for the full 3 seconds.

Crazy idea is not that crazy, follow my steps seing this map I've made for you, Aerial Shackles is the best stun in the game. Leak less, really easy to implement in everything, zero problems. View attachment 151524
All these "advantages" easily apply to the current stun systems aswell. I still don't see any problems with them.

Besides: no sane stun system ever used stormbolt. You use a 100% chance bash ability with 0 duration (so that the stun lasts until removed by the script) on a single dummy unit, since you can have that cast instantly with clever design and it also hits magic immune units.

Level 24
If you would cancel out the other stuns using storm bolt or war stomp, then you didnt properly design your system.
Either use war stomp as base ability and use proper timers.
Or use Mass Teleport and use proper timers.

The difference is that the second does not have a buff.

Level 12
If you would cancel out the other stuns using storm bolt or war stomp, then you didnt properly design your system.
Either use war stomp as base ability and use proper timers.
Or use Mass Teleport and use proper timers.

The difference is that the second does not have a buff.

I didn't design a system. I am trying to plug something in to use. There are already several stun buffs from various sources.

I've got a working solution for myself using the aerial shackles ability.

Mass teleport is an interesting idea lol. I didn't think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.