• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crater Trench

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Crater Trench

Description:
Beneath the lush vegetation and rocky terrain lies a hidden crater, accessible only through a narrow cave entrance. Within its depths, treasures await discovery - precious gems glinting in the dim light.

Features:
- 4 Gold Mines - 2 Main (15000g), 2 Expansions (12500g)
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 1 Tavern

- 4 Green Creep Camps
- 6 Orange Creep Camps
- 2 Red Creep Camps

Map Overview:
276747-7de8d3fbb2260aa436f44066106e5463.png

Changelog:
v1.0
- Map uploaded
v1.1
- Set cliff-level variation to 5.
- Ogre and Troll camps' item drops are swapped.
- Starting positions were moved from the red creep expansion camp (also changed main gold mine to 15000).

Author Notes:
If you have questions, suggestions, or criticisms, just leave your comments below!

Previews
Contents

Crater Trench (Map)

Reviews
Remixer
Review - Crater Trench (Version December 30th 2023) Synopsis: Crater Trench is a two-player melee map featuring a large crater in the middle of the map, causing great height variations in the map that become a strong gameplay element due to the...

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review - Crater Trench
(Version December 30th 2023)
Synopsis: Crater Trench is a two-player melee map featuring a large crater in the middle of the map, causing great height variations in the map that become a strong gameplay element due to the cliff-level variation. Ranged units can be very strong as they can better utilize the cliffs and the narrow passages are less problematic for them. Due to some melee-breaking flaws, the map doesn't quite reach the standard melee criteria.
Map Aesthetics: The map is interesting looking, featuring the Underground tileset which is rarely seen. I'm not so sure how well it mixes with the Loradaeron Summer, still, it's intriguing. The black edge of the map is awkwardly visible at the vertical ends and could be covered up.
Map Layout: The biggest element in the map is the crater, which is a little too prominent, leaving not enough space outside of it and players are forced to fight in the narrow corridors and on different cliff levels that quickly become clunky. The map is not properly mirrored, with the pathways from both players and the crater differing from one another drastically, actually leading units to very different spots on the map.
Neutral Objectives: There are very few neutral objectives as there are only Tavern and Goblin Merchants in addition to the Gold Mine Expansion sites. There could certainly be more creeps as the top and bottom edges of the map are largely unused territory. The item drops seem okayish, apart from the Granite Golem camps which should drop stronger items - Granite Golem is a very strong unit. I'm not a big fan of super strong creeps guarding the Gold Mines on 1v1 maps as it changes the flow of the game quite a lot.
Map Gameplay: The gameplay is affected by the routes across the different cliff levels, giving ranged and air units superiority while melee units quickly get cornered in the narrow passages, unable to reach their targets. Like your previous maps, this map also suffers from the gaps between the trees, which is a big flaw in any melee map.

Recommendations:
Fix the gaps between the trees and hilltops.
Fix the distance of the Starting Locations (they are too far away from the Gold Mines).
Fix the item drops in the camps mentioned.
Try to think how you could make the cliff-level variation work better as an intended element of the map, instead of having it hinder the gameplay - perhaps open the pathways a little and give the players an alternative pathway to go around a dangerous disadvantageous choke point?

Further Note: Having reviewed numerous of your maps, all of them have similar issues with the tree lines, gaps between trees, and open, unreachable areas that units can access. I'd like to ask if you intend to fix these issues on the maps or a selection of the maps. An alternative is to rate them as Lacking or Simple, though in such rating they're not very likely to get much attention. Most importantly I'd encourage you to fix your existing maps and avoid repeating the aforementioned issues in your future maps. If you can conclude, you can comment your decision below this post, or send a message directly to me.

Edit: Issues are not addressed, set the map to
Simple.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Sorry for being very late because I'm busy... due to family issues... but here's an update!
v1.1
  • Set cliff-level variation to 5.
  • Ogre and Troll camps' item drops are swapped.
  • Starting positions were moved from the red creep expansion camp (also changed main gold mine to 15000).
These changes do not address the issues I previously brought up. Changing the total cliff-level only changes the Z-height of the entire map by the same value, which means that it doesn't affect gameplay.