• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Crater

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
「(4)Crater」

By Abelard Tullus

Gameplay
[tr]
This place was a target for the Burning Legion during the invasion and for many months was barren, but is slowly gaining it's fauna back, albeit with a beauty mark in it's centre.

Features
[tr]
- Varied Creeps with balanced loot
- Outland creeps at centre surrounding Dragon Roost
- Tavern, Goblin Labratory, Goblin Merchant, and Mercenary Camp
- Plenty of trees

Credits
[tr]
Map Creation: Abelard Tullus

Changelog
[tr]
Map Description Generator 「By Vengeancekael」

This is the first proper map that I've ever made. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to write the descriptions for them, but if there's anything I need to change about this map, let me know, I'd love to have feedback.

The gist of this map is that, the crater in the center was caused by one of the Infernal crashes during the Burning Legion's invasion, so the center of the map has all sorts of Outland creatures, maybe a bit too many. It's supposed to be set some time after Reign Of Chaos, enough time for stuff to start growing back (though I guess since there's trees and water, and the time-frame that they need to come back is several decades, so this isn't as logical as I think it is).

This was something I worked on alone, with no other help. Though there are a few problems that I think might need changing I'm not sure whether they should be changed or not until someone says that they do. Also, if you're going to have computer players, they will try and charge for the center, sometimes doing so early on and causing them to get their armies decimated, so I might need to try and find a way to stop them from doing that.

Again, if there's anything that needs to be changed, let me know, I'll get on it as soon as I can. Thank you for any and all support.

Author: Abelard Tullus
No custom models or textures were used in this map.

Keywords:
Crater, Barrens, Outland, Infernal, Burning Legion, Melee
Contents

Crater (Map)

Reviews
20:20, 16th Sep 2015 Shadow Fury: Rejected. Read my review to know why.
Level 21
This is a cheap melee map which requires radical improvements for the following reasons:

- The terrain is unattractive, mostly flat and too symmetrical. This is a barren land with a large crater in the center, how come the trees are put in the shape of a square frame on the borders? In addition, tile variation was missing since you covered large areas with a single tile rather than mixing them all to obtain a better aspect. Regarding those raisings you've applied, they look very unnatural because they look like pyramids rather than hills. I suggest you use the smooth tool to give them a more natural look. Additionally, the scarcity of doodads all around the map gives the feeling of emptiness, something not appreciated by the majority even when the theme of the scenery should convey that feeling. I'd recommend adding more doodads. You can even take a look at Blizzard's work on barren landscapes to understand what can be done.

- Item drops are totally incongruent. They are far too overpowered in most cases. Letting a creep drop an item which equals its level could sound correct yet ironically this is wrong because it leads to too powerful items dropped by creeps not worth it. You should really reduce the levels of all item drops, focusing especially on the part of the demons.

- The distribution of neutral buildings is unfair. For every direction (north, south, east, west) there is a different structure. If it wasn't for that Tavern you've put, it might be acceptable (thought it would NOT be a good idea because it would cause unbalances). The placement of Taverns must be symmetrical to allow nearby players to be nearly equally distant from them. Furthermore, Taverns must never be guarded by creeps to allow players to pick a tavern hero as a first hero without the need of fighting.

All in all the map is in dire need of several improvements therefore it is rejected.