• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concerning images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
It would be nice to see an update for the image type.
To become more user friendly I would recommend to:

1. Remove the need to add a transparent 1 pixel alpha border via external tools to standard wc3 icons file paths.
2. No longer crash the game if an invalid path is used. Instead do nothing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1. Remove the need to add a transparent 1 pixel alpha border via external tools to standard wc3 icons file paths.
Post a screenshot of the issue for clarification. If I recall it is because there is some messup with the UV wrapping resulting in the boarder texels being stretched long distances using bilinear filtering. By making the boarder transparent it does not stop the problem, but purely masks it since the stretched texels are invisible.

Throwing a warning would be better. I do agree that it should not crash but equally well a properly made map should not have any invalid path strings.

LeP

LeP

Level 13

Can you give me a crashing example?
Doing call BJDebugMsg(I2S(GetHandleId(CreateImage("invalid.blp", 64, 64, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1)))) just prints -1 instead of crashing for me.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Can you give me a crashing example?
Invalid images often access memory in an unsafe way. As such the crash may occur only on some systems, and not on others.

I don't have an editor or the game installed, but it looks kinda like here ( link )
Looks like they recycle the 4*4 chunk geometry and just use a UV wrap for the image texture. The result is the end texels are stretched, which if not transparent will then show and mask the terrain underneath (as they are rendered ontop). Not sure how they would fix it, but there might be some blend/filter flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.