• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer is a drug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
altho its not a eatable content, i think it's really a drug. What's your opinion, keep is as serious as possible, dont change the whole topic to say "woah kerrigan ur 14 can i lick u?" or anything unrelated to the base topic.

Level 13
yes, it is. computers are so addicting to people these days, and not just teens and kids. even adults play computer games!! hell my uncle plays n64 and hes almost 40!! thats why, i invented biking, because you can toss away all of those cares and just enjoy yourself. so, my message is this: Get off your a** and do something important!!

note - good topic wormy. i liked the touch about me :lol: :lol: . the attention gets stupid quickly, so dont worry. very quickly (hinthint)

Level 22
I wouldnt really consider it a drug if you mean that computers (particularly the internet) is addictive. Its just that it has become an essential tool for people's social lives. It more convenient then phones, letter writing, and almost as useful as being right next to someone. Even in terms of meeting new people. I mean, since I've started playing around on the internet, I've met and chatted with people from literally half the countries in the world. I sure as heck would not have been able to have done that with phones or letters alone.

When people take it too far, then it becomes an addiction. But using the internet everyday does not make it an unhealthy addiction, in fact, I wouldt find it quite useful and productive part of everyday life.
-VGsatomi

Level 13
Concerns on how you define "drug". In my opinion a drug is something that ends in physical or psychic dependence, like cigaretts or higher stuff. I don't know anyone (care for what I said: I don't know anyone, not that there isn't anyone :wink: ) who's dependend on a pc this way. E.g. there're many days (when holidays are over) on which I don't even come close to my pc because of studying and dancing.

Level 21
I beleive computer is definitely a drug. I can't stop thinking about playing games and surfing the internet about it.

My little brother has already been addicted to the computer, he cried several times when my mother took it away. Nowdays, he'd surf neopets dozens of times... lol what a disease.

But I havent been infected seriously just yet.

Level 13
i just find it soo addicting. i like that you can get almost instant comments anywhere, and feedbacks. if i didnt had internet then the cpu would be soo not attractive at all, and i would be studying and/or drawing, wich i replaced by surfing.

but atleast, i dont play everquest, on a tv report, a lot of persons are addicted to it ( get stronger, kill monsters n shit ), and it's not a rare thing a young person wastes three days in a row without sleeping drinking cofee only to get his character stronger. it's at persons like that we notice how the computer is a drug, but i dont know if i must blame them

Level 7
Wormskull, that arguement is so agreable! If one ever SEE theese persons (I know 3 of them... or, I 'KNEW' 3 of them) it is frightening how much those people are willing to give up, on account of thier virtual life. Actually, this MUST apply in some extend to WoW (dunno, havn't played beta) and in fact any mmorpg! Anyhow, the drug effect, is that they crave more and more, cause in time, they realize that they have explored all options, and starts to search endlessly after a substitute - this is the saddest part! I for one, finally thought that one of my friends was considering to slow down on the everquest game, and he did! but I don't know for how long anymore, cause his maintopic the last couple of months, has been the release of everquest 2!

Btw. Afronight_76 is right; it is the intensive use of it, that creates the drug - if combining it with other things, taking a break, it shouldn't be as unhealthy - as with the sports example. 3 days ago, a television show in Denmark, showed 3 people whom had an addiction to fitness - they prioritized working out higher than relatives, friends and girlfriends/boyfriends - much like my geek-friend does!

I am not addicted, mainly because my eyes have a defect - if I stare too much or long at a screen, or if I get very tired, I go all cross-eyed and get headaches, so im pretty safe :p

Level 5
Wormskull said:
...i like that you can get almost instant comments anywhere, and feedbacks...
Except my topics... (dunno why but people don't give me even feedback on my maps... Perhaps i have an anti-feedback shield :) )

Anyway back to the topic: well i have to say computers aren't as addictive as the games on it. Tho i've stopped gaming seriously (not at all, just i don't play daily...), but i know of some people who just live for computer games. I think surfing can get addictive too, but not as much as gaming. Gaming on professional level kills ur life (never join a clan - that's how it starts...).

Computers themselves aren't directly harmful to the health, so i'd rather not name them drugs. Of course if you just sit the whole day in the front of the computer your spine will be damaged, and your eyes too, but that's rather an ergonomic problem than computer addiction.

Level 6
ok ppl, lets just leave it at this, everything is addictive, depending on wut our personality is.

Level 6
Kerrigans 14? shes hot!!! :lol: IM JOKING JOKING JOKING JOKING JOKING

Ya computers are really addictive, its mostly the games on them. Without computers having the ability to let you play games and all that shit most people wouldnt even buy them

Level 6
lmao, ok now ppl, lets stop fighting. we all know how addicting stuff is, heck, im addicted to runescape and wow, eventhough i neva played wow, lol.

Level 13
i was addicted by it too once. tip: drop all your items, even what you're wearing on the ground if you have a high lvl ( i had a lvl.53 ). runescape is pure crap, but it has an interesting gameplay, similar to everquest?

Level 4
im lvl 60 :p,lvl 45 in range, lvl 40 in magic,i have every of my stats cept prayer I think in the top hi scores,and I beat every free quest(in runescape)
And...I have rune armor

Level 4
Wormskull said:
Megaman_Zer0 said:
im lvl 60 :p,lvl 45 in range, lvl 40 in magic,i have every of my stats cept prayer I think in the top hi scores,and I beat every free quest(in runescape)
And...I have rune armor
wait dont you get the rune armor by slaying some dragon in member runescape?

No its free, when u defeat the dragon u can buy rune plate and dragonhide body(for archer) from ozaich(the guy tat sells themm) but his rune plate cost 85k and his dragonhide cost 15k!so i bought the plate from ppl for 60k and the dragonhide for 5k.And dont buy the plate if u havent done dragon slayer cuz u cant wear it.

Level 22
I've seen Everquest destroy people. I've seen them quit they're jobs just so they can make more time tp play it. I've seen people get fired because they spend their free time playing everquest and not washing their uniforms at home. I've had roommates who would spend 17 hours a day straight playing it and spend the other 5 each day sleeping.

They called it EverCrack for a reason, which was why I never touched it...and it all seemed like "Oh, I will spend 50 more hours so my sword does +1 more damage then yours!"

Pointless.

-VGsatomi

Level 12
Tell me about. I don't think a computer's a drug since it's bound to be used by many people for their daily lives. But internet gaming is what apparently causes such things to look like a drug. And sheesh I spend hours commenting on all this stuff and it already feels like a drug to me.

Level 12
A feel as though a drug gives a distinct euphoria (pleasant feeling) puickly and sharply,
The computers addictive nature is similar but it doesn't make me happy
Just lazy and tired LOL
But if you took drugs on the computer.......

Level 13
i call everquest evermoney because you have to pay to play it (at least thats what ive understood), and runescape, well its just dull. id rather play diablo II. i got adicted to gaming once, but it didnt take long to get sick of all the games.

Level 3
VGsatomi said:
I wouldnt really consider it a drug if you mean that computers (particularly the internet) is addictive. Its just that it has become an essential tool for people's social lives. It more convenient then phones, letter writing, and almost as useful as being right next to someone. Even in terms of meeting new people. I mean, since I've started playing around on the internet, I've met and chatted with people from literally half the countries in the world. I sure as heck would not have been able to have done that with phones or letters alone.

When people take it too far, then it becomes an addiction. But using the internet everyday does not make it an unhealthy addiction, in fact, I wouldt find it quite useful and productive part of everyday life.
-VGsatomi

I agree with you..

how do you download things???the internet!!!
how do you play multiplayer???the internet!!!
how do you look araund loads of places???the internet!!!
how do you play online games???the internet!!!
how do you get to know more people/access forums???the internet!!!the internet!!!the internet!!!the internet!!!THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 12
And heres the reasons its not a drug

It may be addicting but...

There is no physical pleasure of using it
It is easy to break the addiction
No need to use it when you don't want to

Also one day all of us will realize, do i hang out with the ones i love, or the things i enjoy

You may not enjoy what you love, but you should never depend on something you enjoy

Conclusion: It depends on the brain
The feeling of being with people who don't know you
The feeling of being in situations unfathomable in real life
The feeling that you have complete control of the most organized object in your life...

Will soon fade, such is not with drugs
And thus it is not a drug, just a simple excuse to escape from reality

And thats why i love it :D

Level 5
Well you're quite right, but all in all computer can become almost a "physical pleasure". The human body creates drugs inside itself, that is what you make feel good. A computer can make the human body to create more of these materials, that's why it can become so addictive. You'll be addicted to the feeling of using your computer.

And well there are people who just cannot put down playing computer games or just using the computers. It depends on you how you'll be addicted to it.

The feelings of the things the computer and the internet gives will surely fade with time, but thus you'll need more, and you'll sit more before the computer.

And finally it is truely an excuse to escape from the reality. The world outside is terrible enough to force people to run somwhere, to an idealistic world, what the computer gives.

Level 12
Too true
But some people don't know such things like seritonin and endorphins can be created also by things like:

Sports (a personal favorite)
Meditation (another personal favorite)
Math (cirtian people more than others)
Or just getting motivated (best when your around people)

The physical pleasure can be caused by numorous things
But to say this is a cruel world without giving thought to whats happened that is good is wrong

Being born- A person was put through unbelievable pain for you
Making your first freind- Through only instinct this is possible
Making your first enemy- The realization cirtian people you will never get along with
being loved- Impossible to have outside computer
Learning to better yourself- sure practice makes perfect in games, but you must also attack socail problems cautiosly

Life is good, cruel but pure

I would rather be out getting robbed and laughing about it later (which has happened (only once though lol)) than sitting on a computer looking for the same realness

I'm sorry for getting all Philogical but i just cant say it is a drug, its a gateway to another world

And this too could be done by books

people are addicted to convineince or they havent experienced anything else better in a while

PS- I'm not anti computer or anything i'm writing on a computer arent i? (lol)

Level 6
It IS a drug. My mom is addicted to internet chat, and she spends 3-4 of her 5 hours of free time on it. I don't live with her, and only get to see her on summer break. Even my seeing her that little can't pull her off for even an hour of the day. If that doesn't qualify it a drug, tell me what does.

Level 13
psychologically speaking, i would say anything can be a drug. it depends on the human mind and how mature it is when it starts something like gaming. if it starts young, it will become addictive. thats the basis for many addictions (except for smoking which can be, but usually isnt)

Level 5
plz you can let us know your opinion in a more intelligent way.

Well the category of what is a "drug" and what is not is hardly describable.
You can be addicted to things like:
-books (yes there are people who are just reading all the time)
-sport (tho it's a helathy addiction)
-music (as addicting as a drug)
-TV
and many more. In fact almost every habit a someone has can be addictive (tho it's not always bad).
As I said before, human body creates drug-like materials inside itself, what creates the addiction as well as the feeling of well being.

Level 23
Sopho said:
Computer is far more than a drug. It won't just get you addicted as I've read what other people said.

Like they say, they change you, addict you, attract you and are very tempting. Its worser than just a drug. Its like a permanent drug.

If you allow it to be.

Neither of two parties here are wrong. Yes, it IS a drug, to many people. But no, it is NOT a drug if you handle it maturely and with caution.

Level 6
superspider, you idiot. YOU don't have to be addicted to something for it to be a drug. I'm not addicted to crack, does that mean it's not a drug? Try to add something useful to a conversation, or don't add anything to it at all.

Level 12
Computer is not a drug

spending 5 hours a day on it is more of a personal issue

Nothing is truely a drug until you become physically dependent on it, and when are not on it you go through withdrawals

Herion can make you crap, halucinate (not good ones), or even make you go through a sezier (i've seen it happen)

Crack can make you die as well

Marajuana can eventually make you jittery when you dont have it

Same thing with cigarettes

I don't know the "physicians" take on it but these i've seen from experience

Computer is not a drug
- to cirtian peoples it acts like one
But is not
It's only a machine that makes you feel good

So next time your smoking a doobie, or using that crackpipe (lol), compare it to a Computer, notice the difference

drug
noun

A substance used in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of a disease or as a component of a medication.

Such a substance as recognized or defined by the U.S. Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.

Obsolete. A chemical or dye

Level 3
ITS NOT A FUCKING DRUG!!!!!!!!!ITS JUST ADDICTIVE!!!!!!BUT ITS NOT A BLOODY MOTHERFUCKING DAMN DRUG!!!!!!!IF YOU THINK ITS IS STFU AND GET A LIFE!!!!!!!

Level 13
ok, that is completely unnecessary, and anything addictive can be considered a drug. if you dont want to admit it, fine, thats your problem, but we dont need to see pointless swearing in your posts. snd technically people who arnt addicted to computers have a life, and those that are do not, and if you are saying that they are addictive, then i would guess you are addicted, and you have no life.
hypocrite

Level 13
addicted persons do have a life, please. Persons have values, some feel the need to be slim, some to be kind, beceause they had a kindful mother and now she died, some will not steal, beceause its against their values, and some will go on the computer, but its more a hobie now. Every little things can become addicting, but the computer have a longer range using smart tactics : mainly, you can communicate, and make fun of other persons, freely post your opinion, make digital art that may seems you impossible to do on a paper. There is some boring stuff on a computer, thats why we dont touch them, there is a lot of boring things, but the things we love are most likely specially made to please the viewers.

i dont see one playing everquest during three days as a weakling, nor someone that doesnt go on a computer a superior person, some things do their effect on the human simple psychology, mainly amusement. but it happened to me one whole day the computer was boring, but i was still on it. now im posting here, beceause oz or darky unbanned me for no apparant reasons

Level 6
I think it's about time superspider got banned for a while or something. He's blatantly breaking the rules. This isn't the first time he's flipped out on someone for expressing their opinion, and breaking site rules while he's at it. Unless I'm mistaken, and this is Russia or something, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some of us think computers are a drug, so what? If you can't handle someone's opinion that doesn't match yours, then f**k off.

Level 12
A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.

Is a computer a chemical substance- its made out of chemicals but no
Is it a narcotic or A hallucinogen- no
Affects the central nervous system- no
Causes behaviour changes- yes
often addicting- yes
and the score is 2/5

I see the point yall are trying to make, and i personally think that the computer is actually slowly sedating our minds to the point we depend on it

This doesn't mean its a drug, you can control your consumtion of the computer (I did last night (but then again i wasnt anywhere near it))

As an excuse to the parents (quote: I'm the Victim!!) its effective, maybe even to the government. However it is not considered a drug whether its more convenient that way or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.