• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer froze, cant open map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
[Solved] Computer froze, cant open map

I was working on my map yesterday and when I was starting to close down JNGP WE my computer froze and I had to shut it down manually since it didn't respond.

And now I cant open it up in JNGP again, not even MPQ editor wants to open it. MPQ editor says it has the wrong format.

Is the file completely lost or is it savable? I've lost about 10 hours of work since the last backup. :sad:

Last edited:
Level 21
I do too.
Hope you can somehow fix it, although if you did save, then I don't really know a way.
It could have messed up pretty much any file in the map and/or not added some at all. The actual values were about to be written were in computer memory and not written anywhere on the hard drive afaik.
That's why I don't know a way.

Level 5
Look at the filesize. its 17KB. i don't know much about how an mpq looks like internally, but even tiny test maps i make easily get to 20KB. If you really worked more than 10 hours, i'm afraid most of the information is lost.

Level 30
I agree with Xonok. It might have messed up its file format when the computer manually shut down because as we know it shut down in the period where it is still saving. There might be something of an error in the map that is why it froze and shut down because it will never froze or something of that happen if there is nothing wrong with the map's content.

I suggest go to your previous backups and start from there. Only way I can think of is that.

Level 11
JNGP backs up your map every time you save so you can just go to the backups folder inside your JNGP folder. The backups are all named a-z and 1-10 so I suggest looking at the date modified to find the most recent save of your map that works.

You sir, just saved my day. :thumbs_up:

fa8.jpg

I should probably read about JNGP a bit more...

Status
Not open for further replies.