1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Competitive Melee Map

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by Filmting, Jun 4, 2014.

1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awesome tutorial. Anyway, I'd like to ask a few things.

Should gold mines be guarded by orange and red camps only? If so, a reason would be nice!
    In layout, you've stated that some races have advantages in open space and some in enclosed spaces. Which ones favor what kind of layout?
    I've messaged this on your profile, but I'm thinking asking here as well is great for reference. Should canopy trees be an appropriate tree used as majority of lumber?

2. Filmting

Filmting

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There really should always be an initial gold mine thatis somewhat easily accessiable guarded by orange creeps. If there are multiple gold mines, and some within same distances you tend to make the second gold mine a red camp, to disallow for early and easy mass expansion. An example here could be Secret Valley.

It all depends on the match up, generally the race with the most ranged units tend to like chokes more, as ranged units tend to be weaker and they can always attack, while melee units get choked and have to run. So in a Orc vs Night Elf matchup, elves like closed spaces, orcs like open. In a Human vs Undead matchup, undead like closed spaces, human likes open.

You usually never see canopy tree, and I would recommend against using them. Blizzard never does so in any of their maps, and they are very tight, compared to other trees meaning that you will have more lumber in a smaller amount of space, giving advantages to all the other races over night elves, because they have to run less to get lumber. For majority of lumber always use standard trees.

3. FranzVader_CZ

FranzVader_CZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As undead player for long ages i have few ideas about racial balance for UD in the main post.
    1) Criters balances - put criters close to green creepcamp (was mentioned). Usually next to first creeps in creeping route is enough. New skeletons for next camp will be created from these green creeps and one criter should be next to the starting point. UD also like some wandering sheep next to "fast expand" gold mine to counter greedy humans. :)
    2) Starting location - starting gold mine should not be open from all sides so gives some protection to acolytes.
    3) I hate how blight can show off UD expansion sometimes :D e.g. goes down from cliffs etc. in case the expand consists of Haunted gold mine only.

4. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really enjoy your videos too bad you privated it