• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #9 Theme Poll + Discussion

What should be the theme?

• Age of Discovery

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • The Triumph

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Corruption

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Peace & Conflict

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Narration

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
UPDATE 04/20/2021

The Theme Poll is open!

Interested participants have hashed out five themes to choose from. Cast your vote for the most intriguing theme that you would enjoy to watch or create.

The themes are:

1. Age of Discovery
2. The Triumph
3. Corruption
4. Peace & Conflict
5. Narration

Should anyone wish to add a theme to the poll, please put it forward via the discussion. Ideally, it should be what I can best describe as "broad with a nugget idea".

UPDATE 03/28/2021

Interested Judge(s): Ungoliath

Proposed themes:

RED BARON said:
  • Age of Discovery
JnM said:
  • Ascending Triumph
  • Corruption
  • Peace & Conflict
Chaosy said:
  • Narration

Other consensus:
  • General agreement about leaving contestants to upload in the version of their choice
  • Possible requirement to upload cinematics via youtube

----------------------------

So there hasn't been a successful cinematic contest since way back in 2018.

I'd like to propose a discussion for a potential Cinematic Contest #8. Here is a short list of things we'd need to establish:

1. Theme
2. Classic or Reforged (Or both?)
3. Cinematic Length
4. Contest deadline
5. Judges

THEME: Establish an intriguing theme. The past themes have been Comedy, Romance, Sorrow, Narration, Mystery, Time, Adventure.

CLASSIC OR REFORGED: Establish which version of WE the competition should take place.

CINEMATIC LENGTH: Probably the least controversial topic. Past contests had a range of 3-15 minutes.

CONTEST DEADLINE: This was a subject of concern it the last cinematic contest. In the past, the contest rules gave about a month to create a cinematic.

JUDGES: There's already been several members who've expressed they would like to judge. Ideally someone with experience in this type of map!

Without further ado, let's see if we can get this ball rolling!

Last edited:
Level 35
It could as I had already mentioned to JnM be interesting to do some work on something. If I will actually have time to finish or do it, is a different matter that is as of yet unknown as there are some factors in RL that might play in to my leisure time. But for me the points would be:
1: 'Something broad and non specific, like say: Age of Discovery
2: Classic (and to be more specific: Original proper Wc3, nothing related to Reforged)
3: A max of 15 min makes sense
4: Deadline of about a month seems fair - perhaps with some allowance for extension.
5: Sounds good that some are already ready - though how the judging takes places I guess in the end would depend on point 2.

As a side note I wonder if it should be posted as a video or a map (though latter of course required for credits, having the former could make judging slightly easier for those wishing to avoid the Wc3 launcher).

Level 21
I agree with all of the above ("Age of Discovery" sounds sick), apart from limiting the contest to OG Warcraft 3. I don't see the benefit in excluding players that choose to mod in a different version, I believe such a choice would only hurt the contest.

I would personally love to see what people can bring from each version of WC3, be it 1.26, 1.31, or from the current patch (SD or HD). :)

I would love to hear some opinions regarding broad themes. I love the freedom of broader themes, but I know some that think that more precise themes can bring out more creative entries.

Last edited:

JnM

JnM

Level 12
1: 'Something broad and non specific, like say: Age of Discovery
I would love to hear some opinions regarding broad themes. I love the freedom of broader themes, but I know some that think that more precise themes can bring out more creative entries.

Age of Discovery sounds like a pretty neat option. Our best course might be to just rifle out some themes and to make a poll. In keeping in the "broad" spirit, I'd add:

• Ascending Triumph
  • Corruption
  • Peace & Conflict

Are there any other cool themes, broad or specific, you guys would like to explore?

As a side note I wonder if it should be posted as a video or a map (though latter of course required for credits, having the former could make judging slightly easier for those wishing to avoid the Wc3 launcher).

Posting submissions as maps has always been the norm. A youtube submission is usually made at the discretion of the creator, but maybe the top submission(s) can be posted on the official Hive youtube channel?

Also, I have to agree with Ungoliath about having submissions in the WE version of their choice. We also want to encourage entries, and limiting them to one version seems counter-productive to that.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
1. Theme
2. Classic or Reforged (Or both?)
3. Cinematic Length
4. Contest deadline
5. Judges
1. As long as it allows narration I am fiiine. I do not enjoy making fight scenes.
2. Both, seems stupid to discourage someone for having a preference for a patch. To make it reasonable to judge I would demand that all submissions have a youtube upload.
3. I don't see the point in a limit.
4. Dont care.

• Wow
Reactions: JnM
Level 35
2. Both, seems stupid to discourage someone for having a preference for a patch. To make it reasonable to judge I would demand that all submissions have a youtube upload.
Yep exactly my point of the video option.

As for me saying classic, it is not to the avoidance of other options, more of a both, but by personal preference classic.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
I've gone ahead and updated the thread on the overall agreements. The theme is still up in the air, though Age of Discovery seems to be getting the love so far.

If anyone wants to add a theme, I can add it to the list. Or ya'll can reply "POLL! POLL! POLL!" and we can go straight to that.

To make it reasonable to judge I would demand that all submissions have a youtube upload.
In that case, I'd say there also needs to be an actual map file submission. After all, this is a warcraft 3 world editor contest. Maybe our potential Judge has a preference?

Regarding the cinematic length, it seems like everyone agrees we should just follow the usual rule of 3-15 minutes. I don't think anyone will be making anything longer than that...

Last edited:
Level 21
Another potential theme could be some variation of "Age of Discovery", like "A Great Discovery", which could bring in a lot of different genres (sci-fi, horror, medieval etc.).

Regarding youtube uploads etc, I think it would help to have a youtube version accompany each entry. For a judge it would be easy to go back and check for specific things during the judging process. It would also allow all users (regardless of their WC3 version) to view the different entries and be able to vote on the final poll.

Of course, focus should be on the actual map file (to see how it looks and sounds in WC3), but I think a recorded version would really help. There are a lot of free recording softwares, I use OBS Studio for instance. If for some reason the creator is not able to record and upload their map, I or someone else could do it for them (with their permission).

Level 35
Another potential theme could be some variation of "Age of Discovery", like "A Great Discovery", which could bring in a lot of different genres (sci-fi, horror, medieval etc.).
I understand the point, but I would say that once you say A Great Discovery, you have already gone more specific. Age of discovery does not lock the genre and does not need to be historical. Just that something was learned, discovered, uncovered or whatnot. Guess it could be broadened even more to be just discovery, but doesn't sound as fancy.

As for the submission, I would as said before say: Video recording for judging, map posted as well, to check credits and that it is the actual work one did. But overall, the video recording of the map would show everything the map did, as judging aspects should not depend on how ones triggers or setup is, but only the end result.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
I understand the point, but I would say that once you say A Great Discovery, you have already gone more specific. Age of discovery does not lock the genre and does not need to be historical. Just that something was learned, discovered, uncovered or whatnot. Guess it could be broadened even more to be just discovery, but doesn't sound as fancy.
Kinda have to agree with this as well.

Why not just put forward Sci-Fi, Horror and Medieval as your proposed themes?

As it stands, there are 3 interested contestants and 1 interested judge. I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are for a contest, but hopefully we can garner up just a little bit more interest?

Level 35
I love corruption stories--lots of directions to go and great for driving a story. So that's where I put my vote!

I can def see the appeal of a broad theme like age of discovery tho. I'm happy with both.
Well, corruption could also fit in the discovery :p Nothing says what could happen. Maybe one would be a warlock who discovers a great way to infect and corrupt people e.g. (But I understand the notion, I myself find myself always enjoying/hoping for great stories about Liches).

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Ready to rock, looks like all the pieces are set! Shout-out to Riki for helping pull this thing together.

We have our Moderator: Kyrbi0
Our two Judges: Ungoliath & Tickles
Cinematic Theme: "Corruption"

Great to have you guys at the helm. Thank you!

I guess the very last thing would be timeline. When should we start, this weekend? Personally, I like the 5-6 week period the other contests have been doing lately.

After that, all we need is a Mod posting up the contest and it's off to the races.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.