• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #3 Ideas

Theme?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
- Duel

...Don't we love to see duels? And please, no future. Many of us hate future based things. And also movie or book based things are bad. Themes like battle(which is over used), love(we already had one) or comedy are good ones because then you can choose if you are going to a lotr cinematic or a star wars cinematic for example. It gives a lot more!

I'm not saying one of those themes are good. It was just an example.

Level 37
I don't say we should make 30 min cinematics, or even 60. I just say that I think(remember it's only my opinion) that it will take about 30 to 60 minutes to know a little about the character. Because you need to know the character a little so you could cry.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. I don't make any sense anymore. But I think sorrow cinematic would be good.

Level 18
Idea's I like:
Sad story:
It's perfect! I've had an idea for a plot for Cecile a long, long time ago, and it requires a completely new way of cinematic making to achieve the emotional touch. If I join, I'm going to try out making the cinematic with it.
Teams: With this new way of making it, I could use some help of a skinner and maybe a terrainer as well. If it's a team-made cinematic, I'd be thrilled to join!

Idea's I don't like:
Very, very long cinematic:
The idea of a 30 minute long cinematic is WAY too long. Leave alone an hour! I can live with 15 minutes I guess, but it shouldn't be a requirement. You can easily tell the background story with text. On top of that, where the hell would you find the space to terrain area's for a cinematic of half an hour?! That's insane.
If you want to make a 30-60 minute cinematic, that's fine by me, but don't make it a requirement.

Level 18
Please search for contestants first. Right now it's just you, me Aeroblyctos, bounty hunter2, and maybe Linaze.
Also, I'm in the modeling contest, so it would be nice if I could complete a submission for both this contest and the modeling one :wink:

Level 24
I would be interested in joining this contest if it was hosted.

Any a sad/sorrow theme sounds great, but I really don't like the idea of having it in teams. Theres no need to have teams for a cinematic contest, as everything can easily be done by one person.

Level 14
Well, a theme I had in mind is a historic event, perhaps? Maybe not better than a sad theme per say but wouldn't it be good to reenact Napoleon's life? Or maybe Cortes' victory over the Aztecs? The Boston tea party? Or even Shaka Zulu's story? Just a thought. As I said it might not be the best idea but I sort of like it.

Level 17
I sorta like it too :D
But a main highlight of these contests is their promotion of creative freedom. If the theme was a historic event that would leave little to the imagination, as any deviations from the course of history would probably result in a loss of points for historical inaccuracy.

Level 14
True, but people will need to select good historic events and, furthermore, the best parts of said event to reenact. I mean, a cinematic that displays Napoleon's finally days(on that island) will be done badly, unless it becomes a psychological thriller where his suffering and paranoia are displayed.

The problem with this idea is that there is room for too many sub-themes. You can create an epic battle, a duel(well, sort-of), a story-based cinematic and a thriller. Hell, even a love story.

Level 17
A love-story involving a dying, paranoia-filled old man? o_O

And another thing with a historic theme is that you will always know how it will end, which takes much of the intrigue out of the story.

Sure you can add your own little touches here and there to spice things up, but overall the story will be too predictable to keep the viewer as entertained as if he/she was watching a story that they had never heard of before.

Level 14
And another thing with a historic theme is that you will always know how it will end, which takes much of the intrigue out of the story.

Highly unlikely, unless you pick a theme like World War 1. In fact, you can even learn something here. For example, if I make a cinematic about Shaka Zulu, will you know how it ends? Do you even know who Shaka Zulu is?

I'm sure you've heard of Monte Zuma, but do you know how his story ended? Probably not(not saying you in particular are uneducated in this field, I just made a general reference).

The thing is that if you make a historic event you will most likely chose either something from your country's history(I know I have tons of material for that) or you will make a story about one of your favorite historical characters. Either way it will include some research and only the general idea of who the selected character/country was will be known. The details are generally not common knowledge which is why people will learn from your cinematic.

Level 18
I agree with CMarket. Most people probably know about the characters, but don't know the complete story. You can give them a new point of view on the story or tell parts that aren't known by everyone.

Nevertheless, my vote goes to Sad/Sorrow/Agony with Teamed cinematics! :thumbs_up:

Level 14
True, but you still have some freedom. If you create a cinematic about Jasenovac, or some other concentration camp you can make a thriller, or maybe even a horror(if you play it out good).

You can make epic battles in almost modern warfare or the battle of Little Big Horn, or even the battle of Thermophile.

You can make good diplomatic stories, or maybe biographies of someone where you can even include a love story.

You can even make it sad-themed if the main character dies.

Level 24
I voted for sad/sorrow. Historical Events is a good theme, but in my opinion sadness/sorrow will allow for more creativity then historical events, and like bounty hunter said if the theme was historical events all the stories would be pre-written.

Status
Not open for further replies.