• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Chronicles of Time ~ Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Index

Introduction
Features
Campaign Information
Map Information
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:

Chronicles of Time will be an expansive and detailed series of maps bundled into campaigns that will create a storyline that spans over 600 million years of history. Throughout the campaign you will be faced with tough and easy decisions that will change the way the units you control evolve. (I will explain how the evolution system will work later on in the post.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:

Chronicles of Time will include many many systems, most notably though is the evolution system. The way the evolution system works is that it keeps track of all the main decisions you make during the course of each map. If for example you manage to discover how to read and write the map will transfer that discovery to the next map through a code generated at the end of the previous map. (The code idea is subject to change.) For the second part of the evolution system it will use certain key decisions to figure out what race you evolve into and eventually what storyline you will be placed into.

Campaign Information:

Campaign #1 Plans ~

Campaign #1 will include the rough time frame ranging from BC580,000,000 to BC7000. In this large time frame (which is subject to major changes) you will journey from the end of the first Snowball Earth ice age to the settling of Anatolia and the founding of Çatal Höyük.

*****The next two campaigns are currently undergoing major changes*****

Map Information:

Currently I am working on map 05 of the first campaign, I've decided to take a mixed approach in map making. What this means is that I'll create whatever map sparks my interest, for example I might go work on map 01 next.

Here are a few screenshots with a short description of what your looking at, and a few videos.

18344653.jpg

In the above picture you will see the basic multiboard used on Map05, it simply shows the basic statistic's used in this map.
Along with the multiboard you will see the Man unit along with a Cheese Icon, Axe Icon, Sword Icon, and Glove Icon.
Cheese=This spell is called "Eat", in Map05 there is a starvation and eating system. To keep your people alive you must feed them whenever the message "Feeding time" pops-up on the screen
Axe, Sword, Glove=These three icons are used to turn the man into either a Tree Cutter, Hunter, or a Rock Breaker.

20659166.png

In the above picture you will see the Child unit you will again notice the Man and Woman Icons.
Man, Woman=These two icons are used to mature the child into either a man or a woman.

78839773.png

In the above picture you will see the Woman unit, you should also notice the Child Icon.
Child=This icon allows the woman to give birth to a child which can be matured into either a man or a woman.

94916277.png

In the above picture you will see the Fire unit along with the Log Pile Icon.
The fire works like this: If the fire runs out of health you are defeated, so to stop the fire from going out you must harvest wood to feed the fire.
Log Pile=This consumes wood to feed the fire which restores all of it's health.

31146770.png

In the above picture you will see the neutral Log unit. The player must use a Tree Cutter to chop the log into smaller pieces of wood that can be used for various things. (Only the Tree Cutter can gather wood.)

98373440.png

In the above picture you see a hunter hunting a boar.
12697955.png

In the above picture you see that the hunter has killed the boar and is now standing over the boar's carcass. The player must tell the hunter to kill the boar carcass unit to gain some of the Food and Hide resources.
20871954.png

In the above picture you will see that the game has told the player how many food and hides that the hunter has gathered, you can also see that the remains of the boar are left on the ground to decay.

72490279.png

In the above picture you will see that I have tried to tell one of my woman units to give birth to a child, but I seem to have an insufficient amount of hides to clothe the child so the woman was unable to give birth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Bump, I've updated the main post with more relevant information.

Level 27
Intresting...
I see you abandoned your previous campaing but oh well, it happens to me quite often too.

So can you like explain how exactly evolution will work?
I mean like can you give an example of actions you did and what consequences you'll get?

Oh, and when will be a some kind of demo ready?

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Intresting...
I see you abandoned your previous campaing but oh well, it happens to me quite often too.

So can you like explain how exactly evolution will work?
I mean like can you give an example of actions you did and what consequences you'll get?

Oh, and when will be a some kind of demo ready?

Well I cant apply the evolution system into the maps until all 10 or so in the first campaign are done but heres a quick example:
Player chooses to only feed units in map01 plants
Reptiles eventually evolve into herbivores during the course of map01
Eventually through the next few maps it forces your cave people and dinosaurs that you will be controlling to only eat plants and vegetables.

To simply put it, the evolution system takes decisions from your previous maps and uses them to alter the game play of the current and future maps.

Level 27
Awesome!

Wait, does it mean that you'll be able to make something completely alternative, like shall we say killing off all mammals, making dinosaurs the dominating race, eventually getting some teptillian humanoids? Or creating lots of herbivores leading to the land becoming a deserted wasteland?

Man that's awesome, if you'll really manage to do it, it will be one of greatest mods about actions and consequences!

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

For the time being the first 4 maps will all end up evolving into a Caveman like humanoid, but the ideas keep coming so who knows. I do know that each campaign will have 10 base maps (A map template with systems incorporated), each map will be altered which means your decisions will alter the units you will get the resources you can use (Still thinking about the resource thing because theirs already a ton of triggers for the few things that are implemented.)

Oh I almost forgot about the second part of your first question "Oh, and when will be a some kind of demo ready?", the answer is that their wont be an actual demo. I will be releasing the maps as they are roughly completed to a select few people, mainly so I can get feedback and find any glitches I've missed.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I had a spur-of-the-moment idea last night so I started up the WE and began work on Map01, looks like I'll be dividing my time between Map01 & Map05 because of the similar systems.

I'll update the main post later with some Map01 info but heres a quick overview right now:

-Choose between Carnivore(Hard),Herbivore(Medium),and Omnivore(Easy)
-After choosing the type of foods your creature eats you select either "Warm" or "Cold" blooded. Eventually this might tie into a hibernating and/or a growing/evolving in one map system
-Hunting other animals for food, foraging bushes and plants for food
-Eating (Just like in map05, the creatures in map01 require food to survive
-Choose between "Glacial Bear", "Tundra Wolf", or "Pygmy-Mammoth" as your starting creature. (These three animals were selected after a resource evaluation which deemed them as the three most modifiable and practical creatures to use.)

Additional Info:

The map order might be changed to make room for a Cell-Stage map where you begin as a single cell that must grow into a creature, this is simply an idea as of now because the modeling required on my part would take quite awhile.

You can call that "Closed Beta Test".

Intresting... I would actually enjoy bending the species evolution and maybe even invent something that was not supposed to exist in Stone Age, maybe horseback riding or whatever...

You may even bend it so much that the Abominable Snow-Man is riding a four headed elephant. (Huge exaggeration, but the point is that you might even evolve humans into some sort of monster.)

Level 27
Yes. Yes. Evolving different monsters.

Well I see you got like inspired by Spore. That's fun. I mean first campaing will be about evolution, other ones, if you'll finish them, will be about developing different technologies/culture stuff. Right?

Hmm, those models are great, but I think there should be like at least five animals you could choose from instead...

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Yes. Yes. Evolving different monsters.

Well I see you got like inspired by Spore. That's fun. I mean first campaing will be about evolution, other ones, if you'll finish them, will be about developing different technologies/culture stuff. Right?

Hmm, those models are great, but I think there should be like at least five animals you could choose from instead...

Yep I played the original Spore and I thought it was lacking beyond a lot of content, so the content that I wanted gave me some Ideas for this.
But the main idea for this campaign is my dream to make the Ultimate RTS that spans all of history, and well the rest will be in the campaign.

Yes the later ones will be about tech and that, there will be the RTS style maps, Sim style maps, and RPG style maps.

The reason behind having three animals is that I have set a rule that only "White/Whitish-Grey" creatures can be picked for the first 3 creatures. This rule prohibited me from using any of the hive's animal models because other than the stag models none of them are what I want to use. (I took out the stags because they're very buggy.)
But all-in-all the 3 creatures will provide you with over 20 different evolutions of themselves later on.

Progress Update:

I've finished most of the triggering for Map01 (Codename: SNOWBALL) so now it's off to make up some half-decent terrain for the 3 starting regions. The regions are as follows pending name changes: Glacier, Mountains, Tundra.

I've finished some key features that will either help or destroy you in SNOWBALL:
-Diet Selection (Depending on what diet you pick the game will be more/less difficult)
-Blood Selection *Warm/Cold* (Depending on what type of blood you pick certain features such as birthing a child will cost more/less mana, and possibly effect how much food you consume)
-Animal Selection (Each animal starts in a different region of the map, each region has distinct features which can either leave you to starve or make you the dominant animal depending on the diet you pick.)

Level 2
I love the idea of this project hopefully it goes into like ancient greece/rome and keeps expanding into a great project! i feel honored to terrain for this!

Thanks alot Yayoi, oh and please dont quit this it sounds like it would work really well!

May i suggest some things though ^_^

-make it so you have a builder type human in some of the levels to make houses! and make a fledgling town! would be fun

-make enemy human tribes that wish to steal you're goods etc.

Only things i can think of for now, again im honored to be working with you *bows* goodluck on the project! sounds like some fun to play when its done.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I love the idea of this project hopefully it goes into like ancient greece/rome and keeps expanding into a great project! i feel honored to terrain for this!

Thanks alot Yayoi, oh and please dont quit this it sounds like it would work really well!

May i suggest some things though ^_^

-make it so you have a builder type human in some of the levels to make houses! and make a fledgling town! would be fun

-make enemy human tribes that wish to steal you're goods etc.

Only things i can think of for now, again im honored to be working with you *bows* goodluck on the project! sounds like some fun to play when its done.

Thx for the feedback. Yes you will be going through Rome and Greece eventually. (The campaign follows history closely in some aspects.)
In some maps you can found towns and that, and there are enemy tribes in a few levels.

Level 2
Thx for the feedback. Yes you will be going through Rome and Greece eventually. (The campaign follows history closely in some aspects.)
In some maps you can found towns and that, and there are enemy tribes in a few levels.

Sweet, thanks for telling me that ^-^ i would love to start my own caveman town. and bash some saber tooth tigers. XD

Level 27
Nah, the spears could actually be make from rocks... how are those rocks you can set the fire on with? So anyway they were easy to shape with harder rocks, so people were making spears out of them.

Yes, there were lots of Spore aspects I would have done is other ways too, like shall we say I would leave the RPG element for all the stages, including civilization. That thingy with chosing stuff and with advancing was quite oversimplyfied, I would make it more intresting. Like instead of diging bones you would need to spend evoluiution points on unlocky new qualities, like shall we say "Feathers" (unlocking wings and allowing to make your creature feathery). And each bodypart would require some of these "researches". Same with other stages where researches and upgrades are done this way.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

at the earliest ages the hunter hunts with an iron spear? o_O it should be a simple rock thrower or a melee one with a wooden club
The spear shown in Map05 is supposed to be a rock tied to the end of a stick (I might modify the model to look a bit better.)

Nah, the spears could actually be make from rocks... how are those rocks you can set the fire on with? So anyway they were easy to shape with harder rocks, so people were making spears out of them.

Yes, there were lots of Spore aspects I would have done is other ways too, like shall we say I would leave the RPG element for all the stages, including civilization. That thingy with chosing stuff and with advancing was quite oversimplyfied, I would make it more intresting. Like instead of diging bones you would need to spend evoluiution points on unlocky new qualities, like shall we say "Feathers" (unlocking wings and allowing to make your creature feathery). And each bodypart would require some of these "researches". Same with other stages where researches and upgrades are done this way.

At a few key stages you will be able to modify your creature. The main modifications will take place in SNOWBALL, you will gain some type if point-value and then at X amount of point-value you will unlock a spell book ability or a dialogue box will appear. From the spell book/dialogue box you will pick 1 of 2-3 different evolutions for your creature (I did some guesstimating math and there will be roughly 50 diff combinations of monsters or more in SNOWBALL.).
EX:
Glacial Bear---->Yettie-like creature that walks on 4 legs
\--->Larger Glacial Bear with upgraded stats and a slight color change

*The example was just some random thing I made up for now, I'm not working on the upgrades for a little bit*

Level 13
I would ask when you think the first part will be done and playable but knowing you a little you may finish a bit more than that before releasing it

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I would ask when you think the first part will be done and playable but knowing you a little you may finish a bit more than that before releasing it

Well your pretty much hit the nail on the head there :ogre_hurrhurr:
I will be releasing closed beta's every once in awhile. The first closed beta will probably be for Map05 (SNOWBALL), but that wont be until I've finished the basic terrain and implemented the first 1-2 evolutions and the creature evolution system.

Level 2
Hmm its really coming along i got to test out the features of the maps very intresting to say the least. very intresting, yayoi when you're done with a bit of the triggering send me the updated map ill get to terraining. :ogre_hurrhurr:

*EDIT* oh and yayoi i suggest you change you're signature cause its dreamscape and its seemed that you abandoned that project :p

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Hmm its really coming along i got to test out the features of the maps very intresting to say the least. very intresting, yayoi when you're done with a bit of the triggering send me the updated map ill get to terraining. :ogre_hurrhurr:

*EDIT* oh and yayoi i suggest you change you're signature cause its dreamscape and its seemed that you abandoned that project :p

I won't be done the triggering for Map05 for awhile so you gonna be waiting for a bit.
*I might change it eventually*

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Quick Mini-Update +BUMP

-Theorizing the evolution of the monsters in Map01, finished a little bit of terain.

Level 22
Well I cant apply the evolution system into the maps until all 10 or so in the first campaign are done but heres a quick example:
Player chooses to only feed units in map01 plants
Reptiles eventually evolve into herbivores during the course of map01
Eventually through the next few maps it forces your cave people and dinosaurs that you will be controlling to only eat plants and vegetables.

To simply put it, the evolution system takes decisions from your previous maps and uses them to alter the game play of the current and future maps.

Dinosaurs were long extinct before humans existed. The most exotic Dinosaur relatives that still existed were Wooly Mammoths, and Saber Tooth Tigers.

I love the map idea though, I will of course help you if you need it. Get active in the group, I'm gonna find someone to start a free website and be webmaster, and we need an artist and we will get rolling.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Dinosaurs were long extinct before humans existed. The most exotic Dinosaur relatives that still existed were Wooly Mammoths, and Saber Tooth Tigers.

I love the map idea though, I will of course help you if you need it. Get active in the group, I'm gonna find someone to start a free website and be webmaster, and we need an artist and we will get rolling.

Yes I know that they were extinct before humans, the post is saying that you will control dinosaurs and humans, but not on the same level.

Alright sounds cool.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Working on an off (got quite a bit done).
I might start doing updates again in a bit, I just didn't feel that I should release much of the updates I was going to make because theirs a few spoilers in them.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Alright.

-Finished most of map 1, 2, 3.
-Finished all of the core systems.
-Still working on terrain.
-Still getting P/O'd at map1's evolution system (theirs so many triggers that I had a fit and quit for awhile)
-Planning map 4

Basically I'm testing the maps a lot and re-working some systems and doing terrain.

Level 13
Least you almost have 3 playable maps finished so you'll be able to find people to beta test within the next month or so, however long it takes to finish the first 3 maps

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I'll at least finish the first campaign then see what happens, just scrapped the whole evolution thing in map 1. Brainstorming a simpler yet still comparable system.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

(Sorry for dbl post)

Alright I'm gonna release a short test just so I can get someone else to checkout the base systems and look for bugs/glitches/etc... The map I'll be sending out is what's currently finished for Map01, you will notice that it looks barley worked on because I had to pull the version back about a month or so just so I could re-do the evolution system.

Post below if you want to test the map. (It's only being released for today)

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

No idea but GJ with the drawing.

Level 2
The picture isnt related I was just posting it to congragulate Yayoi on the great job and to maybe attract people to post here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have tested a level of the map thus far from Yayoi heres my pros/cons list

Pros
-Evolution system is really really cool
-Birth and food systems are cool
-all the triggers are done well

Cons atm
-Terrain
-There needs to be romans or greeks (personal preference not an actual con)

Questions
-While playing eventually when your an animal.. do you become a human? or is there just animal stages and human stages?
-Romans Plz
-And is there a storyline as of yet? or are you working on it

Final Thoughts
-I think its done really well at the moment, minus the terrain (probably because Yayoi is focusing on triggers atm), i think the map will be astoundingly good once polished up with terrain and objectives, cause i just got to run around and test triggers with the build i was sent. but great job yayoi

For your great work, have a Space Marine, The Emperor's Finest

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

The picture isnt related I was just posting it to congragulate Yayoi on the great job and to maybe attract people to post here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have tested a level of the map thus far from Yayoi heres my pros/cons list

Pros
-Evolution system is really really cool
-Birth and food systems are cool
-all the triggers are done well

Cons atm
-Terrain
-There needs to be romans or greeks (personal preference not an actual con)

Questions
-While playing eventually when your an animal.. do you become a human? or is there just animal stages and human stages?
-Romans Plz
-And is there a storyline as of yet? or are you working on it

Final Thoughts
-I think its done really well at the moment, minus the terrain (probably because Yayoi is focusing on triggers atm), i think the map will be astoundingly good once polished up with terrain and objectives, cause i just got to run around and test triggers with the build i was sent. but great job yayoi

For your great work, have a Space Marine, The Emperor's Finest

-Yes there will be romans in the later levels
-xP the terrain is barly 50% finished
-I have a small storyline atm, nothing to big though
-You don't get to play as a human for a few levels, the first few are evolving into humans.

Level 2
Alright thanks for putting in Romans, now that you have announced that your adding them the Space Marine will guard you from people attemping to assassinate you for being a god, and also from stealing your amazing trigger work.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

xP np.

Phone me when shes done on the phone.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

It's coming along fairly well, though theirs a few bugs here and there (mainly due to the enormous amount of triggers I'm using.).
The terrain is partly done, the evolution system is going to take quite awhile to finish because I need to create over 27 somewhat unique creatures. (That means that there will be three tiers of creatures with over 8 different creatures sprouting from each creature.)

The EVOLUTION sign's level will eventually do something other than signaling the tier's.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

1.) Morph Skills?
2.) Do they work (exactly hopefully) like the triggers I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.