• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing the pitch of a sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
ey guys.. Im making a racing map, and i want to change the pitch of the sound to the speed of the vehicle. NOTE: In my game i use mana as a speedometer and i move the unit 1/10th of the mana they have.. So if you have 500 mana they instantly move 50. All the movement systems work fine and laggless, but when i try to change the pitch This doesn't work:
-Change pitch of *sound* to (percentage mana of "vehicle")
That didn't work so i tried this:
-Change pitch of *sound* to (mana of "vehicle" / 800)
I divided by 800 because it has 800 mana, meaning 800 / 800 is 1... so the pitch should be 1.00 right???

Level 8
Carefull here. There's mana and max mana. Idk, you are changing the pitch after or before the sound is played? Try the inverse.

Level 8
I tried different ways to get the pitch to work: You need to remember pitch is based like [1.0 is the normal pitch], therefore i need to divide the amount of mana by 700 --- (they have 800 mana, and i divide by seven hundred so it can give me above 1.0)
  • Time - Every 0.50 seconds of game time
  • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement50 <gen>
  • Set engine[1] = (Last played sound)
  • Set sound[1] = ((Mana of Siege Engine 0000 <gen>) / 700.00)
  • Sound - Set pitch of engine[1] to sound[1]
Note: The variable 'Engine' is the SteamTankMovement sound
The variable 'Sound' is a real value

Also This didn't work:
  • Sound - Set pitch of engine[1] to ((Mana of Siege Engine 0000 <gen>) / 700.00)
Nor did this work:
  • Sound - Set pitch of engine[1] to (Percentage mana of Siege Engine 0000 <gen>)

Level 8
Did you tried changing the pitch before playing the sound?:bored:

Nope... The sound didn't play at all... Heres the script i used:
  • Time - Every 0.50 seconds of game time
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to player_Number, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Sound - Stop sound[(Integer A)] After fading
      • Sound - Set pitch of sound[(Integer A)] to ((Percentage mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) / 800.00)
      • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
      • Set sound[(Integer A)] = (Last played sound)
If theres a mistake with the Integer A stuff, let me know...
Note: The very first command: (For each [integer A] from 1 to Player Number) - Player_Number is the number of players in the game.. I use this Player_Number multiple times in the game so it is not at fault.

EDIT: This is the system im using right now, All the sounds that i play have different pitch and volume, steamTankMovement01 being the lowest volume/pitch and 08 being the highest: (all the sounds loop)

• Time - Every 0.80 seconds of game time
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to player_Number, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 100.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement01 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 200.00
              • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 101.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement02 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 300.00
                  • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 201.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement03 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 400.00
                      • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 301.00
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement04 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 500.00
                          • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 401.00
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement05 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
                        • Else - Actions
                            • If - Conditions
                              • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 600.00
                              • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 501.00
                            • Then - Actions
                              • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement06 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
                            • Else - Actions
                                • If - Conditions
                                  • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 700.00
                                  • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 601.00
                                • Then - Actions
                                  • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement07 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
                                • Else - Actions
                                    • If - Conditions
                                      • (Mana of race_car[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 701.00
                                    • Then - Actions
                                      • Sound - Play SteamTankMovement08 <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of race_car[(Integer A)]) with Z offset 0.00
                                    • Else - Actions

Last edited:
Level 8
Why are you using set variable in the end? Shouldn't it be in the beggining where you set it to a sound variable? (the ones you "use as sound" in the sound editor). Also, i would separate those if-then-else.

EDIT: All right, i did some testing. Looks like anytime i set the pitch to a real (i used 1, 1.10, 1.20, 1.30 and so on) the sound just stoped playing. But, when i used integers it just worked. Also, it didn't sounded much good ;x hahaha

Last edited:
Level 8
Why are you using set variable in the end? Shouldn't it be in the beggining where you set it to a sound variable? (the ones you "use as sound" in the sound editor). Also, i would separate those if-then-else.

EDIT: All right, i did some testing. Looks like anytime i set the pitch to a real (i used 1, 1.10, 1.20, 1.30 and so on) the sound just stoped playing. But, when i used integers it just worked. Also, it didn't sounded much good ;x hahaha

Hmmm alright, thanks il probably just fix the long trigger above and use that. Thanks anyways

Level 8
The Blizzard racing map "Azeroth Grandprix" uses a system just like this to increase the pitch of the engines when moving faster. Perhaps you could salvage out the relevant parts from there?

I tought you already did it, i mean, who doesn't know Azeroth Grandprix? ;o
About the engine not sounding too good maybe instead of using pitchs you can edit the sounds with a good software (there are good free ones out there) and import them.

Level 8
I tought you already did it, i mean, who doesn't know Azeroth Grandprix? ;o
About the engine not sounding too good maybe instead of using pitchs you can edit the sounds with a good software (there are good free ones out there) and import them.

Another good idea, since azeroth whatever it its uses jass for the sound.. Hmm too bad, il see what programs are out there to change sounds and stuff. Thanks guys +Rep..

EDIT: Already game you rep, cant do it again :S

Status
Not open for further replies.