• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Can I work in SCII editor with out using SCII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
You would have more than 512 graphic memory if you did as there is no GTX 660 model with that little memory... The processor speed is fine, I use a 2.67 GHz I7 quad core and max SC2 at full frame rate easilly. Ram is a bit low.

Well if it were a modern processor then yes 2.8 GHz would be fine. However, he said that he was using DDR2 RAM so obviously he is running something on the socket 775 platform (assuming he is using an Intel processor of course). I would guess he is using an E7400 Wolfdale. If overclocking is a possibility then you would see significant gains and you could likely run it with ease on low to medium settings. I know I have seen E8400s run Starcraft II on high settings when overclocked significantly though I understand there are some architectural differences allowing the E8400 to perform better even at similar clock rates.

As far as the graphics card is concerned, unless you are using a 1080p monitor or greater 512MB should be fine. Resolution is what really eats up graphics memory. Granted I have no idea what GPU you are using exactly but considering how little stress Starcraft II puts on the GPU odds are you should have no problem running it on low settings unless it is a very low end card.

I would think that you would see the biggest gains performance wise by switching out your RAM to two 2GB RAM modules. 4GB DDR2 is fine and the performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is negligible as far as gaming is concerned so it wouldn't be worth it to switch to a DDR3 compatible motherboard even though DDR3 memory tends to be far cheaper.

tldr; if you're looking for the best performance upgrade you're best off going for more RAM. Your CPU is sufficient and I am THINKING (not positive, though I am fairly sure) that your GPU is also sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.