• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Blizzard said this? Because for now, it seems that most of people here moved to reforged.
All the campaigns here that created in the half of this year, with low downloading...

Well, there is this one hint: https://twitter.com/Matt23Morris/status/1222618558863048704 but I don't what's the status of it by now. We can only hope.
Yeah. Many players have fled to reforged, some stuck on older patches, etc. These are just some factors and it's saddening as a campaign maker myself, it just sucks.

Level 23
https://twitter.com/Matt23Morris/status/1222618558863048704 - He said that in January, so I don't think that is important to them...
And I really happy that is a someone that agreed with, thank you LoL :)...

BTW, why did you create another campaign all these years?
Your campaign - Shadow of Hatred is awesome!

I did not but hopefully I could soon. ;)
Thank you. I've seen you have made couple of campaigns yourself, keep it up. Happy mapping!

Level 23
What do you mean by "Reforged"?

If it is graphics, then I would say players will play both "classic" and "reforged" equally, since most people have been playing for a long time and won't suddenly turn their nose up at a campaign simply because it uses "classic" graphics. More importantly, classic graphics will probably always be better for campaigns with multiple races and techtrees because of the huge supply of "classic" graphics.

The question of classic - reforged graphics might become obsolete soon, as Blizzard may allow map makers to choose which models show for people playing "classic" and for those playing "reforged".

Now, if you are talking about 1.32+ and pre 1.32, I don't think there is any doubt about the implementation of custom campaigns back into Wc3 eventually, possibly even as soon as 1.33. Keep in mind, you can still make campaigns in the editor for 1.32+, it just means you cannot test them until they are playable.

The main issue I think is that making campaigns on pre 1.31 patches is a huge issue because everyone is using different versions, which causes different bugs when playing campaigns made on different patches. If everyone stuck to 1.26 and didnt update higher pre 1.32 patches, I think the custom campaign community would have a healthy scene for those not updating to 1.32+. But that is not the case. Even worse, in Blizzard's attempt to rush to finish reforged, they let a huge amount of bugs slowly stack up. 1.31 is the worse offender of this, but the other patches are also guily of this as well.

It is then further complicated that people who play on the same "patch" are often using two versions: the PTR of a patch or the real patch itself, which are hugely different since PTR versions were known to be seriously bugged. There is also the issue that even if players are using the same "real patch", they are actually using different versions, since they download from different people who uploaded their versions, and some of those uploaded versions have been altered by the person simply because they did something to their Wc3 game (a non-clean Wc3 folder).

So, unless everyone can agree to just move back to 1.26, the pros of 1.32+ (regardless of classic or reforged graphics) seem to outweigh the cons, especially when playing on the wrong versions doesn't always just stop players from playing--- in many cases, it allows players to play for a while, but then bug their campaign cache, missions or something else halfway through, which is the worst thing that can happen, because then players will actually think the campaign is bugged and have a negative experience of it (not being able to play it doesn't necessarily ruin someone's mood, because they didn't invest anything (time/energy) into it).

Level 20
The main issue I think is that making campaigns on pre 1.31 patches is a huge issue because everyone is using different versions, which causes different bugs when playing campaigns made on different patches. If everyone stuck to 1.26 and didnt update higher pre 1.32 patches, I think the custom campaign community would have a healthy scene for those not updating to 1.32+. But that is not the case. Even worse, in Blizzard's attempt to rush to finish reforged, they let a huge amount of bugs slowly stack up. 1.31 is the worse offender of this, but the other patches are also guily of this as well.

1.31 is quite possibly one of the worst patches to play on if only because it breaks some commonly used Events just by loading a saved game.

Level 13
What do you mean by "Reforged"?

If it is graphics, then I would say players will play both "classic" and "reforged" equally, since most people have been playing for a long time and won't suddenly turn their nose up at a campaign simply because it uses "classic" graphics. More importantly, classic graphics will probably always be better for campaigns with multiple races and techtrees because of the huge supply of "classic" graphics.

I don't understand... If I update my game to reforged, can I still play in custom campaign classic?

Level 23
They have added new features to the 1.32+ editor, right now limited to the bonuses they gave when changing melee gameplay, like controlling the amount of units damaged to full by thunder clap, ect. They posted all those additions on the changelogs for each 1.32+ patch. You can find them on the news section of hive or on bliz forums.

They will (in theory) keep updating wc3 with new stuff, which is why 1.32+ is attractive. So if you want new additions to the world editor, moving might be a good idea. You can still make custom campaigns at the moment on 1.32+, and it seems they are trying to implement actual playability of them in the near future.

Level 13
If you want to make campaigns regardless of whether CCs are ever going to be re-implemented into Reforged I would say just go for it with 1 31 or below. Making a campaign takes time, so it's possible CCs are back before you finish. You can make your 1.32+ adjustments afterwards.

Is there anyone who can tell me certainly that Blizzard will add a custom campaign to reforged?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@HERON it's important to note that people who usually play custom campaigns, will keep the game version(s) that allow them to continue playing custom campaigns.
If it brings you joy to create these campaigns, then by all means, why not still do it?

Level 13
@HERON it's important to note that people who usually play custom campaigns, will keep the game version(s) that allow them to continue playing custom campaigns.
If it brings you joy to create these campaigns, then by all means, why not still do it?

I don't know how can i explain this (my english isn't good) but, look in the Downloads of the campaigns that uploaded this year, this isn't like before, most the people here moved to reforged, I don't know if this worth to continue with the classic...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I don't know how can i explain this (my english isn't good) but, look in the Downloads of the campaigns that uploaded this year, this isn't like before, most the people here moved to reforged, I don't know if this worth to continue with the classic...
Hmm. I'm not sure they actually moved to Reforged. I think many came to Reforged and some of the old fans left because of the Reforged fiasco.
In the end, you could do what you want.
If you want to wait on Custom Campaigns to come back to Reforged, then OK. In the meantime you could get more inspiration, think of stories etc.
If you don't want to wait, then do whatever you think will be worth your time.

Level 23
I've been making campaigns with patch 1.27, but by the looks of things now, the majority of the community has either left or moved on to Reforged? So is developing stuff for older versions still viable? Is making campaigns in general worth it in 2020?

Last I checked, a high profile custom campaigns released today nets an average of 6,000 downloads, but on average, often get get 2-3k. A far cry from the tens of thousands in the past...

What's shocking is it's been nearly a year and the Reforged team hasn't added custom campaigns yet? I'm curious if they do finally add it, would the entire community shift and abandon classic WC3?
I think the Refrorged team is busy with the ladder and profile functions.

It has been three months since the preview. The reason is not clear, but the progress is clearly slow.

The custom campaign feature is still far away, but I think it will return in a lifetime.

Before that, I will play custom campaigns by modifying the game files.

Yes, the community will abandon classic WC3 someday. Some of them will join reforged, others will just leave.

Level 28
What's shocking is it's been nearly a year and the Reforged team hasn't added custom campaigns yet? I'm curious if they do finally add it, would the entire community shift and abandon classic WC3?
Right now I am on 1.31 simply because of the lack of CCs in Reforged. If Reforged ever implements CCs I see no reason to stick with the old versions.

Level 23
I'm curious if they do finally add it, would the entire community shift and abandon classic WC3?
There is not much reason to not move. Much of the custom community has already embraced 1.32+, and there have been fantastic maps being released cause of all the benefit that the upgraded editor brings.

Also, right now the custom campaign community is suffering greatly because the last patches before Reforged (1.29-1.31) has some serious issues that blizzard only cleaned up after the release of 1.32, which basically has caused disarray because certain campaigns only work on certain patches if they were made within that patch range.

Status
Not open for further replies.