• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BUGS!

changelog:
v1.7: (hopefully) no more desync errors

You will always find more information about the map and updates in this thread:
Bug Evolution - One day in a bug's life

119593-albums2840-picture23565.jpg

119593-albums2840-picture23566.jpg

119593-albums2840-picture23567.jpg

119593-albums2840-picture23568.jpg

MAP INFO:

This is your life as a bug!

Following the law of darwin, only the strongest insects will survive. Your task is simple: kill, eat and evolve, but try not to get eaten by someone larger than you!
In your evolution, you will become bigger and adapt the abilities of the insects you kill.

Who will be the first bug to reach level 70 and rule the carrot garden?

- 1 to 9 players
- decent AI support
- fully written in jass

Thanks to:
GreyArchon (original "digger" idea), 13LUR (Sim Ant map), communist_orc (beehive model), Dan van Ohllus (snail & slug models), Darkwulfv (xp system), D.O.G. (fly and green worm model), Heroic_Milkman (bee model), Olof Moleman (dragon-fly & coackroach models), Werewulf (carnivorous plant model).

Keywords:
bug, bugs, BUGS, beetle, beetles, insect, insects, evolution, deathmatch, team, dm, micro, arena
Contents

BUGS! (Map)

Reviews
04:10, 25th Dec 2009 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 2
I found a bug :D

Ok, jokes aside, I've played your map in SP and i really like it, I am a big fan of evolution and this map manages to capture that very good.

However there are some things that I must point out, the volcano i found in the underground part of the map doesn't fit in since it's not -that- deep, right?

The evolution is abit dull, maybe you could do every 10 levels you turn in to an egg where you can pick abilitys and perhaps even change the color of your beetle.
It's just that i want my beetle to really feel like -my- beetle, you know.

Some more abilitys whould be nice, like shadowmeld and perhaps different kinds of poisons?

Ok, so, on to the good stuff then.

The terrain is cool and varied.

Love the honeybees.

The borrowing whit the underground and all that was awsome.

Could be improved i many ways and has potential
So i give 4/5

Last edited:
Level 5
Omg, this game rocks!!!
I can't point out bugs(realy funny when I say it)and glitches because all the other guys wrote huge reply's with everything in detail so I can wish you only luck and please find more time to update for the sake of the fans.Also I love the way you get skills,the giant spider and the plant that has huge dmg.
Also I think this game deserves 4.5/5 and rep so I give it to you.

Last edited:
Level 10
very nice map indeed however there is always room for improvement :)
Terrain is very aesthetically pleasing but the different obstacles that you can walk through such as plants could have some sort of effect given off that makes larger developed creatures have a chance to miss when attacking in this covered area--giving the behind creatures a spot of cover to be able to attempt more thoroughly a comeback. In the underground it would be cool to see occasional rocks fall when destroying a rock, which would restore the rocks on the underground because after 15 minutes in a 12 player game the underground is empty of rocks.

Game play was nice, really started laughing when all 12 of us ran into the lvl 70 spider at the very start and at least 8 people cursed, glad that the spider has low movement as well as the other big units, very well balances it. However the game somewhat becomes luck when you randomly find a lvl 60 beetle with 100 hp left and cast your offensive stun ability and boom lvl 10 to lvl 30, my suggestion is to add a trigger so that the one that did the most damage to the unit gets the exp. The items were a nice spawn to find but there were so few spawns that it was rare to find an item and before engaging in PvP you had to make sure your opponent did not have any, this was an excellent feature, I am not sure if adding more food would be a good idea, but I like how you have it executed now. However I do think the items should be implicated with the underground, like the possibility of finding an item by destroying a rock, items like mushrooms(50% chance to heal) rock shard(offensive stun spell) and other stuff, because after you get the skin skill from the underground there is not much to go back for, unless an ant queen died but not the other one then you can AoE level 20s and get to level 50 like instantly. I LOVE that you did not use a fps camera, hate those in war3.

Overall the game has few flaws and is a new and interesting game that can take two twists from here, either a luck game, or can be a new innovative strategy game. Cant wait to see the development.

Thank you for a great map
4.5/5 but since I now you will make it better I just give 5/5 ;D

Level 5
I called all of my friends and made a super killing party full house(lolz:plol:).
When we were like level 60 we atacked the giant plant, and it pawned everything thought we didnt have much food and most of us took two hits from it and retreated, but it was super fun cause everybody shouted on skype "For Spartaaaa" and other battle cry's and I got the feeling we were really fighting.
And I found a place with giant webings but there were no spiders there.Are you planing on doing something there.

Level 5
Moco!! there seems to be a connection issue! People are getting dc'd in the start of the map, once it starts to zoom in before the countdown. I tried with Bot and i thought that was the problem, so i hosted normally, still happened. There is a server split any idea why???

Map seems AMAZING though, rating saved, and very eagerly awaiting response/fixes

Level 13
If I ever decide, to further work on this (which is a simple question of time), these would be the things, I'll add/change:

- 3 playable species (bug, spider, ant)
- achievements (something like: destroy bee hive, get 100 score points)
- score system (so at the end of the game you see a score listing)
- more abilities
- maybe different areas.. like a starting area for lv 1 - 10 or something

But right now, I don't have any time to further improve this map. But maybe in some time later..

Level 13
Hey Tanasren.. yeah I know.. good suggestions for sure.
If I continue this, I'll look through the thread for all of the older suggestions and ideas.

The map is 96x128 and the whole size is used.
Perhaps you think that it's not, because the minimap is hidden by an image that has to be of a certain size. I don't want the minimap to be used to get a feeling of being "lost". A real bug doesn't have a minimap or a map at all.