• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buff System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello,

Anyone knows an ability that can be casted having a buff where I can control whether the buff is overwritten or Stacked? Or any idea of how to do such a thing?

E.g. Endurance Aura can be stacked but the problem is it's an aura. This, I got to put it into a spellbook then add/remove the book to/from the unit AND it takes time (1-2 seconds, rather than instant) for it's buff to be added and removed which makes me go mad.

E.g. of how I want it to be is:
3 Spells, 2 that overwrite each other's buff and the 3rd is independant.

Thank you.

Edit: I know you could suggest to me 2 types of spells and duplicate one of them in order for the duplicate's buff to overwrite it's buff on the 1st BUT I'm going to make many spells so, think of it as infinite no. of spells and I need one that works similarly as to Channel Spell (With ID Base)
SO, is this thing possible?

Level 13
Kind of confusing what exactly you want, but my two recommendations are

If you want to use Endurance Aura and the effect is lasting "too long" you can remove the buff instantly from a trigger whenever you like.

However I think it probably would be better to have a dummy unit cast a Leveled Bloodlust(-like) ability on the unit that needs the stack to go up or down and have the unit's level of bloodlust depend on the stack.

Example:
After 5 attacks the buff is added to the unit, If after 5 attacks this buff "stacks" to level 2, meaning the old buff is removed/then the dummy replaces it with level 2 you have made a stacking buff.

In your last request of overwritten buffs you could have them all based on different things and then just remove the buff that's supposed to "reverse" the other if they should have it. And the 3rd just do the same as above.

Edit: In terms of it going off of "Channel", the ability that starts the stacking buff can be off of Channel but the real buff has to come from a real ability.

Level 7
Kind of confusing what exactly you want, but my two recommendations are

If you want to use Endurance Aura and the effect is lasting "too long" you can remove the buff instantly from a trigger whenever you like.

However I think it probably would be better to have a dummy unit cast a Leveled Bloodlust(-like) ability on the unit that needs the stack to go up or down and have the unit's level of bloodlust depend on the stack.

Example:
After 5 attacks the buff is added to the unit, If after 5 attacks this buff "stacks" to level 2, meaning the old buff is removed/then the dummy replaces it with level 2 you have made a stacking buff.

In your last request of overwritten buffs you could have them all based on different things and then just remove the buff that's supposed to "reverse" the other if they should have it. And the 3rd just do the same as above.

Edit: In terms of it going off of "Channel", the ability that starts the stacking buff can be off of Channel but the real buff has to come from a real ability.

By stacking I mean, have more than 1 of the same buff appear. Endurance Aura does such thing.
I do not mean the level of the buff increases, my apologies.

Level 7
However my suggestion earlier may be able to help. The tornado slow ability allows you to place buffs on units as simple as adding and removing the ability. The ability does not show either, just the buff.

Perfect!!!
Much, much better than what I was on.

Had to create 2 spells(Aura+Spellbook), disable spellbook initially, add/remove spellbook + initial delay on gaining Aura's Buff.
But now, Just add/remove Aura + NO initial delay on gaining Buff + stackable.

As for the removal delay, I can just trigger it to make it instant.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.