• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Boss... What happens then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hey.

So I'm searching for a 'dangerous idea'.

You're fightning against a dangerous looking icy boss! You see some strange little wisps gathering around the boss! These wisps spin around the boss quickly! One... Two... And now the tenth wisp has appeared! It feels like the circle is completed! Oh noes! But... What happens next? That's up you, my friend.

Now give me an idea what happens next. It must be something powerful, something that will shake the battle and may lead to a defeat for the player.

Some other info:

- Single player RPG boss battle
- Player has three characters
- The event will happen multiple times in the battle
- The idea can't be part of the statues(I have my other ideas for them)

Attachments

• BOSS ICY.jpg
    BOSS ICY.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Level 2
Hello,

So assuming that the amount of wisps required is negotiable...

# of wisps: 25
Interval time (of appearance): 1.2 seconds

Effect: Once the 25 wisps have gathered, a warning notification is played. After 1.5 seconds, the inner part of the "arena" is blasted by an explosion, followed by another explosion on the outer part a second later.

Finally, yet another second later the inner part of the arena is exploded again, and the wisps disappear.

Explosions deal X damage upon impact to the character.

So in theory:

Y Y Y
Y Z Y
Y Y Y

Where Z is the inner and Y is the outer part of the "arena".

Level 37
Indeed it's possible to change how often the wisps will come and after how many wisps is needed to trigger this event. However, I will change these things depending of the event.

Your idea in nutshell is to make damage to the area around the boss. Well, I've actually used that idea before and it's probably the most common way anyway. I'm searching something a little bit more unique.

Thanks for contributing anyway. +rep

Level 12
After the wisps go around in circles around the boss, random wisp-ish meteors spawn from the map, until all wisps die. After that, random wisps in moving horizontally will appear, damaging you if you get hit. Then after you survive those two challenges, they become one wisp, a great wisp king, it will move around, until you kill the boss. Everytime it hits you, it stuns and damages you.

Level 7
How about once all the wisps have gathered they split off in groups of three or something and move really slowly to try and "tag" the player. If that player is tagged, then the wisp explodes. If they cannot tag a player before, let's say, 5 seconds then it explodes.

Or... Each of the wisps teleport to a random place and explode after about 2 seconds. They teleport in groups of 3 or something.

Or... All the wisps spin around the areana so randomly and fast that it is impossible to dodge them, but they only do a really small amount of damage or no damage at all, just to annoy or distract the player. Then, they all come together and, like Hexcellion said, form a big Wisp King.

Level 5
When all the wisps appear, use lightning effects to link a wisp to the one opposite. (Wisp 1 is linked to Wisp 6, 2 to 7, 3 to 8, 4 to 9, 4 to 10) Standing in a space between the Wisps causes damage, thus being directly in the middle pretty much rapes the player. Killing one of the Wisps kills the one it's linked to as well. Repeat until all Wisps are dead?

Level 28
In an octogonal arena, surrounded by mountains:

The wisps, if left alone, trigger an avalanche from the side they're on to the center of the arena, the hero(es) die if caught in it. A second wisp doubles the area affected (east and west) and a link appears between them, Spirit Link or suchlike, then four (N, S, E, W), then eight (all eight directions). At eight, the camera shakes and the player has only a few seconds to kill or stun a wisp (and stay inside the spared area), otherwise the avalanche falls from every side, resulting in a game over.

An effect to warn the player of how much time is left, like the wisps getting brighter should be used.

Level 14
Great to still see you working on creating fun and interesting bosses and games!

Since this is a boss thread, I couldn’t resist posting an Idea. Since this ability is used multiple times, I decided on a multi-level ability that gets more difficult as the fight goes on. As there are four obelisks and a group of minions, I decided 4 levels would be suitable. All wisp counts and times can be modified for balance and difficulty settings:

Spell Phase One: The boss summons two small ice wisps that start circling near him. After a few seconds, the wisps stop, and shoot outwards, dealing direct damage to units in their trajectory, before dispersing. Also, an ice path is left behind for 10 seconds, slowing units drastically and dealing a small portion of damage to units that come across it.

Spell Phase Two: The boss summons four medium sized ice wisps that start circling near him. After a few seconds, the wisps stop, and shoot outwards, dealing direct damage to units in their trajectory, before dispersing. Also, a larger ice path is left behind for 15 seconds, slowing units drastically and dealing a small portion of damage to units that come across it.

Spell Phase Three: The boss summons four medium sized ice wisps that start circling near him. After a few seconds, the wisps stop, and shoot outwards, dealing direct damage to units in their trajectory. At the end of the path, the Ice Wisps explode dealing fatal damage to all heroes in a radius. Also, a ice path is left behind for 15 seconds, slowing units drastically and dealing a small portion of damage to units that come across it.

Spell Phase Finale: The boss summons four large ice wisps that start circling near him. After a few seconds, the wisps stop, and shoot outwards, dealing direct damage to units in their trajectory. At the end of the path, the Ice Wisps explode dealing fatal damage to all heroes in a radius. An ice path is left behind for 15 seconds, slowing units drastically and dealing a small portion of damage to units that come across it. After the explosion finishes, two smaller ice wisps instantly spawn at the location of each explosion. They circle around the spot of the location( 90 degrees apart from each other) before shooting out again, leaving behind an additional ice path, and exploding to a smaller radius.

I made a diagram to assist in visualization.

IceBossIdea.jpg

~Asomath

Level 28
Assuming those Faceless Ones aren't there at the start of the fight: The boss starts channeling a super attack, but rather than alllwing the players to beat him senseless, wisps start appearing. Every time a wisp appears, it turns into a Faceless One, appearing faster and faster until the tenth, which summons a particularly large one. A few seconds after the big one's appearance, the boss casts his Super-Mega-Ultra-Ice-Spell-Of-Giga-Destruction.

The boss remains vulnerable throughout the entire thing, allowing players to decide whether they concentrate on weakening the boss or killing the units.

Level 5
You still opening for idea?

When the circle is complete, an ice barrier is created, if attacked it damage the attacker (Medium) then slowed the attacker down too. Every time the attacker attack's, one wisp is explode, after 30 or 20 seconds, the remained wisp stop spinning and move to the outer arena, the wisp getting bigger in interval of 5 or 10 seconds, at this point, the wisp is vulnerable. if there still some wisp left, the bigger wisp repeat the method with increased damage and slowing buff. when this method done, wisp getting more bigger than before. when the wisp do this method 3 or 4 times, and there still some wisp, the wisp explode... Taking of 3-4 of the attacker full hit point.

NOTES :
- I prefer the wisp name to be Icy Soul
- When the wisp circling the ice boss, The ice boss attack get smaller damage and ranged..... but can be dodged

Sorry for my bad english

Level 37
Hey, thanks for the ideas.

The boss is done now. So far I've created about 70 boss battles and I still have about 20 boss fights left in the campaign. I'm always ready for any new kind boss ideas. I want my boss battles to be high quality as possible so I'll be needing a lot of good ideas.

So from now on you can suggest any kind of boss ideas in this thread. I don't need a whole concept, just some special spells and events where player needs some kind of strategy to to 'solve' or 'evade'" it. I've a lot of different kind of battles in the campaign so don't worry about how the bosses look or what element they're using.

Thanks a lot guys so far.

Level 12
What about the wisps acting as a sort of passive destroyable "buff" for the boss?

Example:
1) Every 15 seconds, one wisp will spawn which will encircle the boss. This wisp will have a special effect that would (generally) aid the boss. For this example, I would be using a damage absorber effect. Also, I would recomend having a cap for the number of wisps available to encircle the boss, otherwise it would be too imba.

2) For the first three wisps that spawns around the boss, 3/6/10% (In order of number of wisps, so if one wisp is present then 3% of all damage will be absorbed) of all physical and spell damage will be absorbed. If a fourth wisp is added, then half the damage that is dealt to the boss, will be dealt back to the attackers or casters, in this case the heroes. However, the percentage remains at 10%. For the fifth and sixth wisp, percentages will increase once again by 15/20% and the damage rebound per attack is increased from half to 65/80%. Finally, the seventh wisp will enable the boss to absorb half of the physical damage dealt back into him for hp.

3) Any additional wisps that come after the seventh wisp will act as a detonator. The wisp, seeing all seven wisps are present, will fly directly to a random target and "attach" itself upon the target. When it attaches itself, then a "link" is formed directly between the character and the boss. This link allows any damage being dealt upon the boss to also create a sort of blast which damages any nearby units (friendly or unfriendly) in an area around the attached target. However, the damage dealt against the boss will still happen, just that the same amount of damage is also being "dispersed" in an area around the target.

4) Players can and are advised to destroy these wisps. The first wisp starts of with 50 hp, but for every additional wisp around the arena, then the hp will increase by 15 hp. Meaning seven wisps will be 140 hp. You could possibly even add an armor effect or a special hp regen rate among the wisps.

Additional Stuff:
Varying wisps in color: Perhaps you want to have a different effect? Maybe a hp or mp regen wisp? Or a damager wisp?

Wisp spawn rate: For every wisp present throughout the entire arena, then the respawn rate of wisps are decreased by 1 second.

Or whatever the hell special effect you would like to happen if there are just too many of the damn things.

Level 28
How's this for an idea: an arena that shrinks the further you get in the battle (two versions).

The first would be a pyramid with ramps all around (no cliffs). The pyramid is surrounded by water which rises and renders lower levels inaccessible (rising water+ water + pathing blocker doodads). The boss has AoE attacks at the beginning of the fight, but loses them as the surface is reduced.

The second is a large amount of floating debris, ice floes or wooden planks. Here, the surface is reduced by the boss' (and player's) AoE attacks, like slams or fire, carving out big circles of water. If a unit is trapped, he can move in the water as he tries to get back to the fight, but very slowly (and drowns if too much time goes by). Similarly, a unit who's still in the area when the spell hits can try to swim aboard, but again, very slowly and risks drowning.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
If you need more ideas, i will try to use the better side of my brain to make it as good as possible.

even if you dont like it enjoyed 100% while making it thanks ^^

also, since im new at ideas anyone is welcome to help me improve it

Static shock
The boss paralyze his current target for x seconds

Lighting beam
the bosses uses all his might in a final blow it will damage all units in a line (bascly shockwave) after that the boss will be weakend for X seconds. <make sure you put some mark on the ground so you can avoid it tactical

Lighting storm
The boss summon a cloud of thunder to damage his enemys on a location

Conjure thunder
at 5% hp the boss prepares for a final blow and begins to charge the spell it will kill every unit in a 500 radius of him< must run for your life

chain lighting
just as the normal chain lighting nothing special

Ignite
The boss burns his current target dealing X dmg very 3 seconds

Manipulate earth
The boss manipulates the earth if you stand on the tile earth you will take damage<avoidable by runing to grass or rock

Master of elements
puts out his totems each totem gives bonuses to the boss.

Lighting totem; gives attack speed
Fire totem; gives bonus damage
earth totem; gives more armor

note these can be killed

Status
Not open for further replies.