• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bombers And Runners v1.02

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Bombers And Runners
Map By Gorukant

I highly recommend to download the Demo to have a first glimpse about the map (run in SinglePlayer and watch): http://www.epicwar.com/maps/91801/

Lots of artillery units and explosions:
artilleriesandexplosion.jpg

Only Runners can destroy enemy bridges:
runners.jpg

Lots of blood:
bridges.jpg

Tactical View over battlefield:
tacticview.jpg

Brief Description

This is a map which in many ways is similar to a standart melee map. However the gameplay is focused on the general strategy of the battle rather than small tactical manoeuvres. Hence saving you from dealing multiple issues at one time.

Gameplay Overview

This map puts you into position of a field-commander. As a commander you lead an army into the battlefield.

Unlike standart melee maps, you don't have to bother giving commands to each unit. Once a unit is trained, it automatically moves to attack. This lets you more freedom to think about the overall strategy of your team instead of messing with numerous units. Only when the units are stopped or stucked you may find necessary to give them orders. In this case just select them and right-click anywhere on the map, they will get in motion.

Although you are assumed to deal with general aspects of your forces that doesn't mean you will just sit and watch. You have to respond enemy tactics and try yours to push them while specifying your team strategy with your allies.

Gameplay Details

Your main goal is to defeat the enemy with your allies by destroying their bridges. To do so, you must train a special unit who is the only unit that can deal damage to bridges in the entire game: "Runners". Runners are also the only source which increase your income.

You have periodical income. The amount of income is increased with each Runner you train. As start value each Runner trained increases your gold and lumber income by 5. This value can be upgraded. Other than that, you gain bounty gold by killing enemy units.

To provide more flexibility in tactics I decided on adding "Expiration-timers" on units. Each trained unit has a limited life time. It dies automatically when its timer expires out even its hit points are above zero. This brings more dynamic tactics in order to gain superiority on battlefield.

Story Background

This map is not about attempting to form a creative storyline. If this map is about nothing else but one thing, then it's about 'Gameplay'. So the story just stands as a helping aspect to provide a background. In fact the bridge stuff in game is put there only for giving a story basis. They were not existing in my early designs. All I wanted was to make a competitive map for no-gosu noobs like me and give the feelings of epic battles, all those guts and blood spread everywhere, huge explosions, etc. So, if the story is necessary then here's the bet:

The game takes place in a Warcraftish world and era. The land is seperated by huge chunks of water forcing the livings on it to shelter into safer grounds. The map where this game takes place is just one of those various seperated islands and peninsulas. However some recently occured events have arisen the question of an incoming disaster as depicted in the myths. Upon the new situation, the local governors have gathered their men and consulted with their most reliable advisors about the possible steps that may be taken. Most of the elder sages agreed that it was the sign of the approaching end and informed their rulers that they must take actions sooner. So the decision is made, the preperations for the evacuation has begun. And you, being the most trustworthy commander of your civilization, is chosen as the leader of your people in these dark ages of history to guide them safely through the unforeseen future.

But there was a problem. The enemies of the past who were slipped from memory were once again on your path. The ones who were once you had fought against for the dominance of the territory has also been alarmed by the recent events. Seeing them as the signs of the incoming cataclysm, they have already set their way through. However to the place where you and they are supposed to go, there may not be enough resources for both. Even the land itself may manifest as a deadly hostile. Shrouded in these uncertainties you have taken a decision. A decision, which would change the fate of all of you!

Now you have been convinced that it better to deal them sooner rather than later, you have decided to launch an early assault upon your very enemy before they could even become a greater threat. Destroying the only bridges that give the passageway from their protected lands to the open area would be enough to imprison them for eternity.

..Only if they hadn't thought the same...

Credits

Models, icons,.. credits are in Quest Menu.

Final Notes

The map is in its playable version. However as map making is a very time consuming process and I am alone, I intentionally dropped off some of my ideas which I saw them as less important. In fact, the content and gameplay mechanics I wanted to include at the beginning were much more. So I only focused on core elements needed to make a playable map with a main goal and an ending.

Though this is the final state, I can make minor or major modifications according to your comments.

Please leave comments. Bugs, suggestions, performance,.. I'll care.

Update:
- Added screenshots (here)

+ LoadScreen image resized to 512x512
+ Opening camera focuses on base
+ Start tips last longer
=> updated to v1.01

+ Fixed all cameras at start
+ Corrected Loading Screen typo
+ Removed unused models, map size decreased
+ Initial resources changed
+ Ending camera angle changed
+ Fixed End game Tip Remind and ending speech clash
=> updated to v1.02

Keywords:
cannon, mortar, Runner, bridge, mass army, explosion, artillery, guts, blood, gore, dust, catapult, trebuchet, realistic, strategy, tactics, competiti
Contents

Bombers And Runners v1.02 (Map)

Reviews
10:15, 14th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2: See post #11, Rejected.

M

10:15, 14th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2:
See post #11, Rejected.

Level 2
You can even say it without playing :grin:

Terrain is intentionally left as simple, modest as possible. This way all the particles and projectiles are seen easier. And I couldn't foresee performance because I could not make enough testing by myself in terms of performance.

So I chose leaving as is and adding if necessary according to feedback..

Level 2
I really did like to answer you. But it will do no more than spamming my map thread myself. But I'll say: I got, you are from troll clan so mark my words and go flame Zul'jin not me.

Anyway for all who has constructive critics I am totally open to your comments.
Let me remind please that this is a multiplayer map so please best is try it first with human players and write me. I care..

Level 31
Update: Ok. You are a troll now get away plz.

He merely point out that you set a wrong category for the map.

1) Description - The description seems to be neat and provide every necessary detail. A screenshot could add a little touch up to it.

Your loading screen was completely in white. I guess you are using tga instead of blp, or forget to resize it to 512*512 in order for it to show the image. This make the description at loading screen hard to be read, it even make my eye pain just to stare at it.

1.jpg

2) Terrain - The terrain was done very badly. Even if it was left as simple as possible, it really was unacceptable considering the map genre. If it was TD, Maze, Are You A Retard genre, it is fine even if the terrain was leave as simple as that. But for this genre, leaving it like that really is a bad idea.

3) Bug - Hotkey error, and sometimes after I train a unit, the structure would automatically became neutral and I cannot train any unit at all. I test this at LAN/Internet and many people quit the game after 3 minutes of gameplay due to this bug.

To top up with, the militia seems to attack the structure and the structure hp does not decrease even by 1 hp.

When the game started, it show the blank terrain and a gyrocopter said bla bla bla. After the cinematic end, the camera are suppose to move to the position of the player structure instead of staying at middle.

You have a lot of issue to be fix over here. My overall rating was 1/5 and vote reject.

Level 2
He merely point out that you set a wrong category for the map.

If you notice I added this to my reply then because he started flaming around. This was for his later reactions.

1) Description - The description seems to be neat and provide every necessary detail. A screenshot could add a little touch up to it.

I've seen maps with poorer description confirmed but I'll try. I'll look at LoadScreen too.

3) Bug - Hotkey error, and sometimes after I train a unit, the structure would automatically became neutral and I cannot train any unit at all. I test this at LAN/Internet and many people quit the game after 3 minutes of gameplay due to this bug.

It is not bug. Allied buildings are on top of each other. You just click and drag mouse.

To top up with, the militia seems to attack the structure and the structure hp does not decrease even by 1 hp.

It was my intention not to let units easily destroy buildings. Main goal is to destroy bridges not structures.

Level 31
If you notice I added this to my reply then because he started flaming around. This was for his later reactions.

Saying "Lies @ Altered Melee." is deem to be flamming? I suggest you to check the definition of troll and flamming before you assume he did that.

I've seen maps with poorer description confirmed but I'll try. I'll look at LoadScreen too.

That is why some of the resources are never been approve. A good description is a merit, but adding a screenshot could encourage user to download the map as some of them might rather view screenshot instead of reading those text.

It is not bug. Allied buildings are on top of each other. You just click and drag mouse.

I did not do that. The rest of the player experience the same problem. The structure just turn neutral and no unit can be train.

It was my intention not to let units easily destroy buildings. Main goal is to destroy bridges not structures.

With generic expiration timer and ridiculous speed of hp regeneration, it would make the game long, dull and boring. I strictly encourage you not to do that.

Based on the map condition, it was likely to be alpha stage rather than beta stage. It would be rejected by the staff soon.

Level 2
+ LoadingScreen image vas 768x768, resized to 512x512. It should work now.
+ Added an extra line of info at start of game.
+ I added screenshot in the description.

With generic expiration timer and ridiculous speed of hp regeneration, it would make the game long, dull and boring. I strictly encourage you not to do that.

If the game can last long then I will be very happy. Because it means my map is balanced. And when it comes to expiration timer, units are supposed to die so no problem there and players are supposed to spam units.

Level 31
If the game can last long then I will be very happy. Because it means my map is balanced. And when it comes to expiration timer, units are supposed to die so no problem there and players are supposed to spam units.

Last long doesn't mean it balance especially when everybody share the same type of unit and technology. Last long could also mean the game is boring and inbalance.

Your map genre was just like another Castle Fight map with boring terrain and all the player need to do was to click and spam army, nothing else. And if you did not fix the bug I mention, it would likely won't attract anybody at battlenet/garena to play it at all.