• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Body Parts and movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Okay...so yea its been a while, but here goes

I was wondering how one can attribute various animations to a set of body parts without geomerging them to separately, and attaching each to individual bones.

example 1: geomerging a left arm (to upper left arm bone) to a torso (chest_bone) and right arm (to upper left arm bone). In this instance the parts work together side by side but aren't attached and will separate when extended in certain anims

example 2: somehow assign anims to a torso with two upper arms already attached. The end would result in cooperative movement, but when extended, the skin moves with and the parts do not separate.

Example 1 is my method, really the only that i know, and is obviously flawed. I was wondering how one would accomplish example 2, because i have seen it done.

so if anyone gets it, can you please help?

thank you again for your time,

Level 25
For something to be joined to something else, it has to be in the same geoset. Then you simple make a face between the verticies of each section, making a nice thing that is between them

There's a merge geoset function in Vertex Modifier that sometimes works. For obvious reasons, if something uses a different skin it can't be in the same geoset

Level 13
I don't exactly understand what you mean (or how you'd go about) "making a face"

grrr

okay...what always seems to happen is happening(which is probably cuz i'm doing something wrong- and i don't know what) Whenever i use the merge geoset function in the Vertex modifyer (lets say an arm in 3 parts-upper, mid, and hand) whenever i put them together there, i get a dead limb that doesn't move with the rest of the model....

so what am i doing wrong?

Level 25
Ok, first you have to geomerge the arm to the body, so it knows which bone to attack to

Then merge from the OTHER geoset. I'd make a second model: The one you're using, and the one you geomerge parts to

Anywho, after that you then grab a verticie on both sides (One from the arm, one from the body) and weld them together

Status
Not open for further replies.