1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzcon 2011 News Thread

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Asomath, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    If that's true.... Hands down to Blizzard.

At the end of the day they really managed to change a normal users state of spirit while awaiting for the next expansion.

I mean with TBC it was "Oh, cool, Outland <3 Illidan! Bring it on!".

Then with WotLK it was "Oh, cool... Arthas... yeah.. Northrend... Hurra... 10 more levels..."

But with Catalysm it was more like "Meh, Deathwing, don't know him that good but... at least the world gets remade, that would be a cool thing to make". I mean Cataclysm wasn't felt just like a remake of the previous expansion (like WotLK felt with TBC).

And now Mists of Pandaria... there is no major evil guy, and it's just about Alliance vs Horde... the core of Warcraft franchise.

Very good move by Metzen, keeping everything entertaining and interesting and new. I mean, 2-3 years back all of us were saying that WoW EP's will just add new continent, 10 more levels, more talents and a new bad guy to reach at the end. But with the last two expansions Blizzard just decided to go into another direction.

Furthermore I think they left out the idea of ever really making an expansion out of the Emerald Nightmare.

2. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have added all the new updates regarding SCII modding and art tools to the top of the post, considering the purpose of this site. Im adding the Diablo III information now.

Also, whats the code for adding a table of contents? There is a lot of information in this post!

~Asomath

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh crap, I hope my edits haven't screwed up your edits.
    You can add a table of contents with [simpletable] and/or [list] and [list=1].

P.S. -- Actually, yours screwed mine ._.
    Anyway, people, highlights to this! Being a place of mainly artists, perhaps the Hive has a chance of drawing some SC2 attention now.

5. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    AH! Im sorry... I just added the D3 information. I'll add the new zones later... for now im gonna head back to Blizzcon and watch the Blizzcon Invitational Finals. Ill catch ya'll later... feel free to edit to your content.

~Asomath

7. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Creep spreading to buildings
    [​IMG]

I always imagined creep spreading to structures like that. It's a pity they didn't keep that effect.

8. rcshaggy

rcshaggy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm looking forward to Mists of Pandaria, Heart of the Swarm for story wise and the new content and then finally probably try out DOTA for once on Starcraft II, and does anyone know on the release date for these are at all or know when they might release?
    Well anyway I'm excited to see finally Pandaria honestly and having to play a Pandaren to play as well, but still I'm hoping for Ogres, Ethereals for the Horde and then Furbolgs and some other race for the Alliance.
    With this I'm choosing the Horde regardless, because I enjoyed Frozen Throne and liked on how Chen joined Rexxar save the Horde from Jaina's douchbag father.
    Before I go on about anything more I would like to say what start pet, mount, and talent trees to you think the Pandarens work best at?

9. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    they just added that effect for HotS. Sorry if it wasn't clear under my pastebin entry :v

10. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just hope that the actual expansion will be as dark as in the trailer, it would be awesome to have a starcraft game with that actual feeling that this is evil deadly wars going on, not "woopsie-daysy, we're going to look for an artifact, lalalala, oh look hybrids."

11. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh god I almost had a heart-attack after watching the new cutscene and UI editors, also the debugger AND Blizzard DOTA AND the Arcade (aka Marketplace) AND the new physics and animations, etc.
    HotS is gonna rock X_X

12. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    As much as I agree that SC HOTS is a great technological piece.... I'm afraid that the campaign will end up with the same flow... fantasy/sci-fi... poor story... poor characters... poor voice acting... leading to a poor atmosphere. But great gameplay.

13. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I liked WoL campaign besides the fact that I don't manage to beat the last level :D

14. L2love

L2love

Resources:
    Resources:
    I actually enjoyed WoL campaign but it did lack atmosphere, didn't really feel like I was pulled into the story of the game.

15. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^ I didn't have that feeling in WoL, at least the last 3 missions were quite interesting to me, and not only. But the cinematics before could have been something better. Basically I talk aboout gameplay wise, what the missions were like and your objectives, not about how cliched or expected the story was.

Did Blizzard RIP their WoW models because they look cartoony and lower poly except for rendered with the SC2 textures.

Awesome effect! Glad it is added.

And dont bother, THW is a Warcraft III place, Art tools or no art tools go to better place for it. When will a Magos-like tool be made for SC2, so you can convert to M3, add attachments and set the textures and or particles without having to use 3ds max.

Also Blizzcon 2011 has a winner and it is none other than the one I bow before, my idol

Here is a gameplay of all these new units posted by SC2Mapster
    New Units Gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-IwplC1wZo&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDd7CaxaiNg&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNOELJT2rZ0&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPbx3OS9nw&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDZAr8iwr8&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb_vXIMTAjI&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dM5Uiw6KzA&feature=player_embedded

Also posted by SC2Mapster, looks like the history of SC2 development throughout the years before release, just like there was one video showing the development of Warcraft 3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLsOF-c0_0&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  16. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I swear that match was LEGENDARY. One of THE most EPIC games I have ever seen. The energy of the crowd was so AMAZING. I loved it. Whoever was going to come out of that, DESERVED to come out as the winner.

~Asomath

17. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I am so agaisnt the pandas.. :thumbs_down:

18. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Look, the Pandaren's attack sound is 'For Pandariaaa' so they had to add it. Obviously it was suggested in War3 as an existing land, if it were a WoW makeup I wouldnt accept it either. Blizzard are still doing a fine job in connecting sequels, some companies mess up pretty bad when they add later something/someone supposed to be defeated etc. - Actually something like that is going on with Diablo-III

Music from 2:00 min on that WoW trailer <3

Replicant, what an imba unit lol, this should be in campaign only, Terran has 1 tank, Protoss has 10 Replicants, i.e 10 tanks. Should've returned Mind Control of Dark Archon instead, at least you have to possess 10 tanks not make 10 out of 1 =<

19. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Usually I do not like retcons either.

But the retcon in D3 I think it is not necessary but understandable. The fact that the Dark Wanderer is the Warrior from D1 and the son of Leoric... it's like Metzen said it... over the years... as a presentation it's just better. At least the retcon is related to the story and not to the characters and atmosphere (SC2 WOL).

The changes to WoW are really good and reasonable. It's interesting, as the new-up-and-coming MMORPGs are more action oriented (Vindictus, GW2) they release a class named Monk which basically plays out like a character from Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.

I think Blizzard seems to be doing a good job all in all with keeping-up pace with the new popular gameplay styles.

20. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    But they said it would be quite expensive.
    and also, if the Protoss have 10 units and the Terran only have 1, then the Terran fails quite hard in macro.