• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard please give us a way to downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
As the title says, I'm sorry for spamming but I'm really frustrated after I updated to 1.30 by mistake.

The patches now are unstable, forcing us to patch on every game start-up is really a terrible idea. Let us have easy way to access older, more stable versions. Please :(

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
I'll have to agree with @Chaosy on this one.
It gets even more confusing when you want to play with friends and half of them use one patch, while the other half uses another.
Of course, the lack of stability in 1.30 can be frustrating, but at the very least you know that the Blizzard team is actively working on resolving all issues so you won't be stuck with a buggy patch forever.

Level 5
I think the change, even if good, it went into effect too fast for the community to adapt.
That said the problem is not with the forced patching but with patches being unstable and feel rushed.

Edit: I know the pain of "I have different version we can't play together", but just still there is live version and PTR, it wouldn't be as bad as it once was if we would add "last stable" to it.
So you would have a choice of 3 patches only Latest, Last Stable, Test patch.

Also, I wouldn't mind patch forcing at all if I could just install 1.29 for example and use editor only, then when I want to play I use official updated install of the game.

Last edited:
Level 19
I actually think it is a fantastic idea to force updates.

Mainly because I do not want to see comments like: "Really awesome spell/system, but can you make it work for 1.18?" when I use the new natives
That said, only good if patches are stable, but in theory I am against this change.
fantastic idea to fuckup everything just because somebody feels offensive while reading internet. Oh wait, thats exactly what SJW does.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@MooNek: Official standalone offline installers are still downloadable from Blizzard in order to patch the game up to v1.27b. Unfortunately, in order for these offline installers to work, you would have to first completely uninstall your copy of the game, and then reinstall it from either a Retail version, or from an old official Download version.

Afterwards, you could install the PTR version, which should not interfere with your other installation of the game. Do note however that I personally would discourage developing maps / campaigns from any PTR version.

I actually think it is a fantastic idea to force updates.

Mainly because I do not want to see comments like: "Really awesome spell/system, but can you make it work for 1.18?" when I use the new natives
That said, only good if patches are stable, but in theory I am against this change.
And what if they change the OS / hardware requirements for their games without telling beforehand?

People should be free to choose to upgrade or not.

For any forced update, there should be the possibility to go back to the previous version for one month. Hey, if Microsoft allows this with Windows, why wouldn't Blizzard also allow this with his games?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hopefully the lack of stability with 1.30 is a temporary problem that gets fixed soon. I also hope the legacy team has learnt from this mistake so in future they build a more extensive test program to make sure releases are more stable before pushing them live.

Level 5
@MooNek: Official standalone offline installers are still downloadable from Blizzard in order to patch the game up to v1.27b. Unfortunately, in order for these offline installers to work, you would have to first completely uninstall your copy of the game, and then reinstall it from either a Retail version, or from an old official Download version.

Afterwards, you could install the PTR version, which should not interfere with your other installation of the game. Do note however that I personally would discourage developing maps / campaigns from any PTR version.

Well, the problem is my maps are already saved with 1.29.2 :/
And to be more specific, as long as WEX works every patch is fine with me. Right now even standard editor crashes even on new map for me, but that may have something to do with me tinkering with different versions and instalations.

Last edited:
Level 19
Hopefully the lack of stability with 1.30 is a temporary problem that gets fixed soon. I also hope the legacy team has learnt from this mistake so in future they build a more extensive test program to make sure releases are more stable before pushing them live.
its nice to see you hoping for the best and asking for patience. More nicer than knowing you didn't play wc3 for years and won't launch it in the future either, yet you're free to have your opinion, surely.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
fantastic idea to fuckup everything just because somebody feels offensive while reading internet. Oh wait, thats exactly what SJW does.

It's not about being sensitive, I just do not like being force to use outdated tech just because some people want to play on 1.24 or something.
It's kinda like not being able to use ES5 in Javascript, it is extremely inconvenient. Luckily the modern browsers have support for it.

Going back to using Bonusmod instead of natives is.. ugh

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well, the problem is my maps are already saved with 1.29.2 :/ [...]
Unfortunately, Blizzard never provided an official way to install any of the 1.28.x / 1.29.x versions of the game at will afaik.

[...] Hey, if Microsoft allows this with Windows, why wouldn't Blizzard also allow this with his games?
[...] I also hope the legacy team has learnt from this mistake so in future they build a more extensive test program to make sure releases are more stable before pushing them live.
I would like to make the Classic Team aware that not only can a Microsoft customer rollback from Windows 10 to the previously installed version of the OS for a limited time after an OS upgrade, but Microsoft also allows one to uninstall Windows Patches or Hotfixes at will, should they cause any issues or for whatever other reason (hint: uninstall them in reverse order).

Ain't the world of software deployment for professionals who can not stand production stalling nor service outages a fascinating thing to consider, heh?

:ogre_hurrhurr:

It's not about being sensitive, I just do not like being force to use outdated tech just because some people want to play on 1.24 or something.
It's kinda like not being able to use ES5 in Javascript, it is extremely inconvenient. Luckily the modern browsers have support for it.

Going back to using Bonusmod instead of natives is.. ugh
Then I hope your hardware / OS gets unsupported with the next hotfix, without a warning after you have installed it.

:wink:

Level 19
so nobody is trying to make ES5 compatible with IE6, neither anyone should listen to 1.24/26/whatever cries. Any decent sized population includes outsiders/retards, nothing new. But don't make excuse out of that to kill whole population.

Level 5
The only thing we actually need right now is a patcher for every version that can be downloaded and applied manually, we will do fine with the drawbacks and as I said, forced update can stay, I don't really care, I can even playtest on different PC, no big deal, but just give us the option. It can be even hard to find, require register, require 2 copies of original game as I said no big deal, but just let us. Right now I feel like i need to pirate the game from someone that has older patch still instaled, should that be the way?

As I said earlier, this is not about if it is good or bad that we changed file system, changed patching format, it's about that community wasn't ready for the change, we can't use tools that are no longer supported and we didn't have time to develop new ones.

Please let's not argue about our own points of view in this situation but stand as one to make the situation better. We - people who want to use older patches know all the drawbacks that come with that, we won't cry for new futures in older versions, we won't try to play with others while using our outdated game, we just want to be able to use the editor, why take it away?

By the way, as I said in other topic, my friend has 1.29.2 installed and working on his PC, so I guess I'll be fine when I will meet up with him, but I don't think that's the right solution. If anybody has any ideas on how to use WEX in current situation, please contact me.

Cheers, and stay positive guys, thank you for all replies.

Reactions: pyf

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I would like to make the Classic Team aware that not only can a Microsoft customer rollback from Windows 10 to the previously installed version of the OS for a limited time after an OS upgrade, but Microsoft also allows one to uninstall Windows Patches or Hotfixes at will, should they cause any issues or for whatever other reason (hint: uninstall them in reverse order).
I am pretty sure there will be no downgrade to 7 option once Windows 7 is no longer supported...

With Windows 10 this is no longer possible as far as I am aware. Every few months a major OS update is pushed out which removes all patches and becomes the new base version. There is no downgrade from that as far as I can tell. Neither would I recommend anyone do so seeing how these OS patches and updates fix major security exploits such as spectre.

Level 5
I am pretty sure there will be no downgrade to 7 option once Windows 7 is no longer supported...

With Windows 10 this is no longer possible as far as I am aware. Every few months a major OS update is pushed out which removes all patches and becomes the new base version. There is no downgrade from that as far as I can tell. Neither would I recommend anyone do so seeing how these OS patches and updates fix major security exploits such as spectre.

Well but support for Windows 7 will end on January 14, 2020, not tommorow. That's our point, we would like to have time to prepare.
Also as far as security goes, I'm aware of risks but still run XP notebook(not as main PC ofc) for my own reasons, I am aware that it can be dangerous and I'm doing everything I can to prevent anything bad from happening. Responsible user should be able to do things considered unsafe or stupid if he has some buissnes in that, just at his own risk. And I'm pretty sure Warcraft modding community is full of really smart and responisble people, who know the pros and cons.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
so nobody is trying to make ES5 compatible with IE6
@DracoL1ch
Chrome Frame to the rescue maybe?
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177431-modernize-ie-6/

More IE6 oddities:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/162148-ssl-sha-2-with-ie6sp1/

Why don't you die, IE6? Why don't you die?
:xxd:

Well but support for Windows 7 will end on January 14, 2020, not tommorow. That's our point, we would like to have time to prepare.
@Dr Super Good: what MooNek said.

A complete OS rollback from, say, Windows 10 to Windows 7 for example, was / should be possible for one month after Windows 10 has been installed as an upgrade from Windows 7 afaik.

Neither would I recommend anyone do so seeing how these OS patches and updates fix major security exploits such as spectre.
Is there any such thing in the wild? I am only aware of PoC at this time.

Tag » Spectre « @ AskWoody

Microcode updates against it might lead to unexpected and somewhat unwelcome results.
Anyway, update your browser as always.

Also as far as security goes, I'm aware of risks but still run XP notebook(not as main PC ofc) for my own reasons, I am aware that it can be dangerous and I'm doing everything I can to prevent anything bad from happening. Responsible user should be able to do things considered unsafe or stupid if he has some buissnes in that, just at his own risk. [...]
:thumbs_up:

Surfing as Admin on Windows XP with no problems too. There is no need to be afraid, after installing a handful of additional software, and configuring a few things here and there.

I knew someone will disagree :D
Well on the other hand there is natural selection.
:xxd:

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

On Gameranger, more than 80% of the players there use 1.26, since the only thing that is mostly hosted there is Icefrog's Dota 6.83 -_-. Sadly... the new patches are better. Much more better than anything behind. Why downgrading ? Be with the newest "trend" all the time and keep your Warcraft 3 updated to the latest official patch.

Level 5
On Gameranger, more than 80% of the players there use 1.26, since the only thing that is mostly hosted there is Icefrog's Dota 6.83 -_-. Sadly... the new patches are better. Much more better than anything behind. Why downgrading ? Be with the newest "trend" all the time and keep your Warcraft 3 updated to the latest official patch.

1. Because we want to use outdated tools that are far more advanced than the official, newest ones.
2. Because the most recent patches are feeling rushed and are unstable
3. Please separate Playing Warcraft and Modding Warcraft, this thread is mostly about using older version of World Editor, not older version of the game as I said couple of times already

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Because we want to use outdated tools that are far more advanced than the official, newest ones. As I said couple times I don't care for the game, I care for the editor.
The world editor as well, is a lot more better on the newest patches. I for one, love 1.29.

Level 18
obviously this patch makes me encounter crash more than what happens in 1.24 on another pc

i have a slight problem when using magos and im expecting a model viewing tool that run on casc so i can extract some vanilla model texture

also i have zero knowledge on handling casc and how to open them

Level 12
Who cares what they say? Isn't there a reason why maps (and I'm assuming other stuff as well) show what version is recommended, or even required for it to work?

Maybe add a requirement to show which version of warcraft 3 they're using on feedback posts, if there's some major issue where map/spell makers have their time wasted by non-issues.

Anyway, on the topic, while it's inconvenient, you really should keep multiple copies of WC3 on the PC. When 1.28 broke my shit I downloaded 1.27 cracked version so I could continue to use JNGP. I've already got a legit copy and use it to get the latest updates (and I learnt my lesson to back up before patching since then, fortunately warcraft 3 folders don't take up that much space) to play on bnet.

And like you mentioned, there aren't really that many reasons to get older versions besides using older world editors, so honestly, most people don't really have a reason to downgrade.

Being able to go back to the last stable version though is worth considering though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.