• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard making a new MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
VideoGamer.com: It's interesting that you don't think you can compare a subscription-based MMO with a free-to-play MMO. Does that mean you don't consider Free Realms to be in the same category?

TC: I certainly would consider Free Realms to be an MMO, but as far as how do you measure the success of Free Realms versus measuring the success of WoW, it's very difficult to do that. Even if they got more subscribers than us, you could still make the argument that they're not really all paying. Is that really more successful? I don't know. It's a nebulous land of whoever wants to feel better about saying that they got the best. At the end of the day it's all about whichever company is making the most money will claim that they're the best, but whatever – as a game designer and developer that doesn't interest me that much. What it's about for the guys on our team is we just want to have a lot of fun and make a game we're proud of.

VideoGamer.com: Will WoW always be subscription based? Could it ever have a micro-transaction/free-to-play model?

TC: I certainly think it's possible that we could do some kind of micro-transaction stuff. Whether or not World of Warcraft ever goes the direction of, I guess like Anarchy Online has gone the direction of going free-to-play with micro-transactions. Whether we ever shift to a free-to-play model is really too hard to say at this point. Anything I say now could easily five years from now end up seeming like, oh my gosh, that was an incredibly dumb thing to say, how naive!

VideoGamer.com: You mentioned that one day an MMO will beat WoW, and hopefully it's one of your own. You're working on an unannounced MMO. I've seen a blue post from Blizzard confirming it's going to be a new franchise. Is there any update or hints you can give your millions of fans on that game? I'm sure being who you are you must have some indication of it.

TC: Yeah, certainly I've gotton to see a lot of what's gone on. I've been participating in it for a long time now. But it's definitely not anything that I can talk about. It's not anything I can give any insight into or any hints or whatever.

VideoGamer.com: You're actually involved in the development?

TC: Yeah I've been involved for years now.

VideoGamer.com: It's been in development for years?

TC: To a certain extent yeah. On a very small scale.

VideoGamer.com: How about if I ask you whether Blizzard's fans should be excited by the game?

TC: I certainly hope so. I'm excited about it so hopefully they will be too.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/blizzards_tom_chilton_on_the_future_of_wow.html?page=4

Thats where I got this, and I'm sure if I keep digging I can find alot more, and this isn the end of the review, this one is mostly about WoW, and at the end is said that a new MMO thats original is under wraps, which means its probably not starcraft. Seeing a original MMO would be amazing, since all kinds of MMOs, future and medieval have been done a million times.

Level 12
I dont see how someone can make a "original" mmo, seeing how they always do futureistic or medieval theme.

Maybe they are doing Future future realistic modern warcraft MMO?!

Level 13
i hate April foolz jokes im ok when its done by normal people but blizzard makes me get so happy then there like APRIL foolz like the terrain robot tat was April foolz =[

Level 12
I dont see how someone can make a "original" mmo, seeing how they always do futureistic or medieval theme.

Maybe they are doing Future future realistic modern warcraft MMO?!

It could be something like Spore. Or it could be something a lot more vast, like you control a planet/small moon and you can shape its citizens and perhaps even turn the entire planet/small moon into a weapon. Imagine 1 moon shooting a grappling hook and pulling another in. Then your army marches directly onto the other planet and conquers it!

Level 12
It would be odd seeing Blizz go completely random and original xD, making a game similar to spore...

Warcraft: Spore

>.>

Level 17
Incase you hadn't noticed, there are no "good" Sci-Fi MMORPGs... as in non-Korean. Atleast not that I know of, anyways.

Star wars galaxies was fun in the beginning until they fucked it up with their screwed up battle system update.

Anarchy Online was fun for a little while...

Both are kind of outdated, so as it stands, I suppose you're right. (I would mention EVE online, but I could never go into that shit. It's so fucking complicated with it's player run economy that it isn't really that fun and it takes way too long to do anything interesting. Too much management, not enough hax laser shooting)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I would like to see their next MMORPG have less rip off play scheme. Whereby you can play for free, but only for like 1 hour a day or 8 a week or something (after you have brought the game). Thus casual gamers will buy and play, while heavy MMORPG players will pay and get their money worth.

Level 14
I would like to see their next MMORPG have less rip off play scheme. Whereby you can play for free, but only for like 1 hour a day or 8 a week or something (after you have brought the game). Thus casual gamers will buy and play, while heavy MMORPG players will pay and get their money worth.

kinda smart really.

I hope that the new mmo will have some sexy landscape to explore and a interactive environment.

Level 34
Hopefully it involves manually attacking, sort of like Diablo. Autoattacking is terribly dull and boring.
What's the difference? You have to click over and over in Diablo?

it's gonna be called Starcraft Universe or something if it does end up being a SC MMO :p

"Original MMO"... I've heard that phrase far too many times, just their use of that phrase has made me lose faith, i won't believe it until i see it.
I thought it said it was a new franchise?

Blizzard does have a habit of making original games (although I don't think SC2 or D3 will be).

Level 12
What's the difference? You have to click over and over in Diablo?

I thought it said it was a new franchise?

Blizzard does have a habit of making original games (although I don't think SC2 or D3 will be).

Style and shit they use is, but not the themes they use.

They said it would be a new franchise, Starcraft Worlds(eh prob wont believe me but my best friends knows a guy that works at blizzard, thats apparantly the current name they have for it) Is another MMO, they are saying they are making a new original one. Maybe a modern themed one? Or a theme that came before Medieval?

Level 15
Style and shit they use is, but not the themes they use.

They said it would be a new franchise, Starcraft Worlds(eh prob wont believe me but my best friends knows a guy that works at blizzard, thats apparantly the current name they have for it) Is another MMO, they are saying they are making a new original one. Maybe a modern themed one? Or a theme that came before Medieval?

A caveman/early civilization themed game? absolute and utter failure.

Level 13
its need's 2 be spaced theme traveling the galaxy as a protoss zerg or a human and maybe even some new races to the games and i don't know what the goal this 1 would be maybe its find the evil black guys master

Status
Not open for further replies.