• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Blizzard Hiring C++ User For Their Classic Games Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it wasn't for preventing cheaters and if I wouldn't be still at university (senior level engineer ....) I would consider writing them. I guess you still have to live next to the company?

They do favor locals, unfortunately. :( Visa issues are the main reason. It is like that with a lot of companies here unless they have an hq at another location (but even then, they prefer to keep teams together).

Level 13
I bet most issues with WC3 could be solved by anyone with decent c++ understanding in a few hours.
I beg to differ. It would take a while for one to familiarize themselvs with those million(s) of lines (just a guess) of C++ ("2000 - 2003 C++" would probably be a bit different than "modern C++") code that the "brainfuck" engine of Wc3 is [probably] written in.

Think of business sense. It makes none to assign people from future projects which make money to something legacy which earns practically nothing.

Well it's not like they would be what they are without classic games. Practically I don't play any of their newer games apart from SC2. Devoting a temporary team to make a few updates to classic games wouldn't hurt anyone, it would only attract more people.

The problem is that it's not on their priority list, which sucks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well it's not like they would be what they are without classic games. Practically I don't play any of their newer games apart from SC2.
So you basically are not a customer then as you are paying them nothing?

Devoting a temporary team to make a few updates to classic games wouldn't hurt anyone, it would only attract more people.
More people to play low value products, which they likely have already paid for. As opposed to if they assigned the same team onto Heroes of the Storm or StarCraft II to add a new hero extra which would earn them a lot.

The problem is that it's not on their priority list, which sucks.
Because developing stuff which has a value is worth more than maintaining something which is almost valueless. Worse, the maintenance might decrease the value of valuable products, eg if they started to make WC3 feature level parity with SC2.

Can't they simply reassign other people from other projects to Classic team?

Hmm, they might be able to. There probably are some issues though--e.g. preferences, and the technology (I imagine that people programming for hearthstone/overwatch would feel pretty lost switching to classic games).

But they are actively recruiting. Even though that senior software position has been up for what feels like a year, they've gotten several people since then. They're still looking for more, so they never took it down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.