1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Beginning JASS Tutorial Series

Discussion in 'JASS/AI Scripts Tutorials' started by wyrmlord, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Guys, great job, but i really don't understand the lesson number 4 - If/Then/Else. I just think you are moving to fast for unexperienced people to learn it. Also the challenge is too difficult ... I really think you should post the solutions for this exercises ... Not everyone is as professional as you are. By the way, the JASS program you mentioned really helps. Thanks.

Please change lesson 4.

2. wyrmlord

wyrmlord

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    After reading the lesson over, I can definitely see what you mean by lesson 4 being a bit confusing. As for the challenge, not enough information was provided to give you a fair chance in solving it either. I'll probably go back and edit lesson 4 when I get the chance, but for now you'll just have to wait a bit.

3. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks wyrmlord. Btw i also posted a comment in your section about MUI spells. I think you should see it as well.
    Another thing, errmm in my humble opinion (you are the experts here) i think you should post the solutions somewhere. If not i understand. Just an opinion.

Another thing about lesson 2 - Variables.

Image1.jpg

According to your JASS tutorial, the local variables are not well made in this MUI example made by wyrmlord. Will some1 explain me what is wrong here ???
    Can i make MUI spells with this system ??
    Can i make MUI spells using the correct system you guys describe in this tutorial ??? or is it too much complicated ??
    Also when i use the posted system in some spells it just doesn't work .. why ?

Again i confess i am new at JASS, but i am doing my best to learn.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  4. Bobo_The_Kodo

Bobo_The_Kodo

Resources:
    Resources:
    flame, with that mui gui, how did u get those globals to show up in the list for GUI, do you also create a global with that name in the 'Variables' thing?

5. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    WyrmLord teaches this in one of his tutorials. You should check them.

6. FamousPker49

FamousPker49

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Very good tutorial, I figured you saw I was getting a few lessons in the chat from HINDY lol, but this is quite helpful

7. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ... Helpful for those you already have JASS basic knowledge ... because those people who really know nothing about it and who want to learn it ... well, they will have a hard time here .... just check lesson 4 ... i waited months for people to improve it and i am still waiting.

8. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Woah

You guys did an amazing job here with the explanations and such, and even citing helpful software :thumbs_up:

I personally love the GUI interface, :grin: and haven't fully explored it yet, so when i just can't do it with GUI I'll be sure to re-read this tutorial. :infl_thumbs_up:

9. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It seems like a serie of tutorial with no "bridge" between them ... they are not well connected. Disagree --- Also, read my last poost ...

10. wyrmlord

wyrmlord

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Update

And just when you thought I had given up on this... *BAM* another lesson. Finally decided I was going to make some progress on this. It may have taken quite awhile, but better late than never. Lesson 8 covers the previous challenge in Lesson 7 and goes over using special effects. Read it over and let me know what you think. The "JASS Tutorials.zip" file on the first page has also been updated.

11. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    LOL, yes i really though you had given up on this ...
    Ok, i will read it. Btw, such tuts you make are the reason why you are a moderator.

Another thing, i have been leraning stuff about JASS, and i know a lot more know .. Is there any change for me to do a JASS tutorial for here ?

12. wyrmlord

wyrmlord

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problem with multiple people working on the same tutorial series is that they don't flow as well and each can be in a different format from each other as I'm sure you've noticed. In the end, additional work is done just to make each tutorial fit in more than if one person were to just do them.

13. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, i notest that ... a lot ... still you didn0t answer my question ...

14. Just call me Js

Just call me Js

Resources:
    Resources:
    i agree with Flame_Pheonix , probably the challenge for Lesson4 - If/Then/Else is a bit too hard. I tried to do the challenge, got a variation of the answer but dont know if it is correct or how to improve it. Therefore i really think you should post a solution for beginners like me and others.

15. Just call me Js

Just call me Js

Resources:
    Resources:
    I want to ask a few questions about the Channel spell

First i would like to know a few things in the "Data-Options"
    1.Targetting Imge
    2.Physical Spell
    3.Universal Spell
    4.Unique Cast
    Could anyone please explain to me what these options do?

Secondly i would like to ask, SHould i always base spells off Channel? Lets say i want to make a spell like storm bolt but it also mana-burns, should i trigger enhance the Storm-bolt or make a new spell based off Channel?

EDIT: one more question

When putting in the Spell Id like 'A000', in the object editor i saw something like ' A000:ANcl ' i put the spell Id as 'A000' in my trigger, it worked but i would like to know what the ANcl is.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  16. Persian_Devil13

Persian_Devil13

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi guys, first off, nice guide, i've started learning, my only problem is with the challenges, the first ones were easy enough, im pretty sure i got them all right, but the one for lesson 4 is killing me, i just cant figure out how to do it and ive been at it all day . . . i've looked through JassCraft (including at the Modulo Integer) but no matter what i try it wont work, im ridiculously confused with the challenge, not so much the lesson :p, in any case could you post up answers somewhere, maybe at the end of the tutorial or beneath the challenges a button you can click to show the answer? pleaaaaaaaaase, also if anyone gets a chance before he gets round to putting answers can u give any hints?

17. daw_guy

daw_guy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok i'm stuck on tutorial 3's challenge.

I found a_message
    I found that the order should be reversed
    And that there should be a space after the ='Something is wrong'

What are the other two. I couldn't find the answer.

18. Persian_Devil13

Persian_Devil13

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the other 2 are where Function2 has to have a 'return string' or something and isnt 'Something is wrong' meant to be in brackets?

19. daw_guy

daw_guy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm the first one sounds right.
    I don't know about the second one though.

20. Just call me Js

Just call me Js

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know this might be abit off-topic but if Channel is a good spell to base your custom spells off then, are there any good Units or Building or Buff to base your things off from?