• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Basic Mapping Video Tutorial

Level 10
I've created a basic video tutorial for people who want to make maps but just dont know where to start. You can download it from the link below!

Description:

This first tutorial will represent The Hive Workshop and show you how to:
  1. Launch World Editor (WE)
  2. Create a new map
  3. Introduce you to the Object Editor
  4. Intoduce you to the Trigger Editor
  5. Work with regions
  6. Place units
  7. Make basic triggers
  8. Adjust a loading screen

Basic Video Mapping Tutorial

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
Tutorial Approved!

This unique tutorial should be very helpful to newbie map makers who are unfamiliar with even the most basic features and functions of Blizzard's World Editor.

Every slightly experienced mapper, however, will have no need of it.

~ Post edited to reference the .rar file. Thread moved to General Mapping Tutorials.

Level 1
in Unit Editor where you have those upgrades, abilities etc.. i have only these: "new custom unit", "Terrain editor" , "Trigger editor" , "Sound Editor" , "Unit Editor" , "Object manager" and "test map".. and the question is: Why doesnt i have those "upgrades", "abilities" etc etc like you have? and how can i have those?

Level 1
As a total newbie to WC3 map editing, this video was awesome :) And hilarious! Thanks a ton, I've been wanting to get into making WC3 maps for a long time but had NO idea where to start.

Level 1
My friends and I play all the time together and have been for a long time so for me it's anything but dead. :) I think the key thing about this tutorial is it's really one of the only things I've found that really gets you past that "I have no idea where to start" feeling.

Level 1
I have tried to download this a couple times but it's not working:cry:. What am I supposed to download it to or am I supposed to download it at all:confused:?

Level 1
Ok I was able to save it and find it, but now when I open it this new thing comes up that says, "Do you want to open or save?" so I click open and it takes me to a Internet explorer page then it closes and says "Do you want to open or save" again:cry:

Level 25
in Unit Editor where you have those upgrades, abilities etc.. i have only these: "new custom unit", "Terrain editor" , "Trigger editor" , "Sound Editor" , "Unit Editor" , "Object manager" and "test map".. and the question is: Why doesnt i have those "upgrades", "abilities" etc etc like you have? and how can i have those?

First. Patch warcraft III to max. Then you should have an object editor.

Worldedit, whatcha wanna know? Just pm me.

Level 9
great tutorial lol, when i first started mapmaking i could understand how to increase the size of units, but this helped! :D

Level 2
Wow awesome im new to mapmaker right now but i catch on quickly and your video helps alot.

But im new to the forums and all but is there a tutorial on here that can answer or maybe someone else can post response (Not sure if thats breaking any spam rules or something) but anyways , my question is..

:fp:Like for triggering the part where you walk into the circle of power and it spawns the units , i got that down , but like you left it for the action spawn for " player 1(red) " or whatever it says , well i want my friends to play also so what do i make that so whatever color walks on spawns the unit? Because i was testing , noticed the what the trigger said went to blue i walked on and it spawned a unit for red.

You can message me the response too , im not new to forums , just these forums :grin:

Again , good tutorial :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Wow awesome im new to mapmaker right now but i catch on quickly and your video helps alot.

But im new to the forums and all but is there a tutorial on here that can answer or maybe someone else can post response (Not sure if thats breaking any spam rules or something) but anyways , my question is..

:fp:Like for triggering the part where you walk into the circle of power and it spawns the units , i got that down , but like you left it for the action spawn for " player 1(red) " or whatever it says , well i want my friends to play also so what do i make that so whatever color walks on spawns the unit? Because i was testing , noticed the what the trigger said went to blue i walked on and it spawned a unit for red.

You can message me the response too , im not new to forums , just these forums :grin:

Again , good tutorial :thumbs_up:

Instead of allowing it to spawn for player 1, you have it spawn for "Owner of triggering Unit"

Level 3
great tutorial i wish there was more stuff like this (video tuts)!!!

but one thing i have missed or what i'd add is "how to spawn the picked hero at a different location". Ok it only took a few minutes to figure out but usually you don't let the hero spawn at the same region :)

but like it's been said many times before: great tutorial - a key to basic mapping!

Level 2
kinda hellped

the only thing i didn't know was the load screen mod(how do i make my own load screen?...like DotA?)
O...and the "u can add trees...U can add some more trees" part was very funny